Building With the BBB!

Pariah

A couple of years ago, I started reexploring Third Edition Champions. It's the version I first learned, way back in the fall of 1986. But my favorite iteration of Champions has always been 4th Edition, a/k/a/ the Big Blue Book (BBB).

packages-0070094001490290175.jpg

So I have recently begun a 4th Ed building challenge. I'm building 250-point characters with the following guidelines:

1. Do the Disads first. No stats, Powers, Skills, or anything else until the Disads are done.
  2. No more than 50 points in any Disad category (BBB allows up to 75).
  3. After the Disads, spend at least 10 points on noncombat Skills, Talents, Perks, etc. 
  4. Build as normal after that. 

The idea here is to build Characters, not just gaming pieces. To paraphrase Ron Edwards, a character should be someone you know and like. I'm trying to flesh out who the character is, and not just what they can do.

So far I've completed only two or three characters. I'll share them as time permits. 

Okay, here's my first character. Morningstar is the last PC I played regularly, originally built under 6th ED (or was it 5th?). Her parents were killed in an attack by the Institute for Human Advancement's paramilitary branch; she survived because she was at a party she'd been told not to go to. It took her a couple of years to identify exactly who was responsible for the deaths of her parents, and she has sworn to destroy IHA. After a couple of years in foster care, she graduated from high school, turned 18, and began a career as a superheroine.

Morningstar is able to generate a biokinetic field around herself. This field can protect her from harm and allow her to fly. It also gives her a more potent punch when engaged in hand-to-hand combat. She has quite a bit of self-defense and martial arts training, but she tend to be pretty straightforward in a fight. It's worked for her so far.

She carries a mace, but it's practically just decorative. She does just as much damage without it.

Quote: "You can give up now and I can take you to the police, or you can resist and an ambulance can take you to the emergency room. Please tell me you're going to resist."

Edited by Pariah

50 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

To me, that's what the Champions character sheet should look like.  That's the ideal.

To me, it is a build sheet, one with ALL the numbers. Useful between sessions but less useful on play.

I prefer stripping away the extraneous details and numbers.  Almost no-one but the GM needs to know the real points of powers or skills.

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

To me, it is a build sheet, one with ALL the numbers. Useful between sessions but less useful on play.

I prefer stripping away the extraneous details and numbers.  Almost no-one but the GM needs to know the real points of powers or skills.

I agree, Doc. I've been working on a new layout for stats that strips the numbers out. 

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

that’s an oddly modern take for a Champions player, as most of the character sheets I have are in this or earlier formats.  It’s what I am used to, especially the full info in the pre- electronic days or at RBK that prohibit electronic devices to cut offf distractions.  I am trying to get Heromakr.exe to work again on a Win 10 machine so as to build 4e and earlier characters, but so far Ave only been partially successful.  

22 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I am trying to get Heromakr.exe to work again on a Win 10 machine so as to build 4e and earlier characters, but so far Ave only been partially successful.  

Couldn't you use something like DOSBox to run it?

Edited by Sketchpad