RIP, Gordon Lightfoot

Passed away on Monday, in a Toronto hospital.  He was 84.  

https://apnews.com/article/gordon-lightfoot-folk-music-dead-4c5f0763797da6a5f3ea8c90947352fc

He had...gee, thinking back...not a great voice, but he used it superbly to tell stories.  If you're of a certain generation, it's almost impossible not to remember The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Jimmy Buffett commented that he admired Gordon Lightfoot and tried to write a song with that kind of feel to it.

That song ended up becoming "Come Monday", one of his biggest hits.

RIP, sir.

19 hours ago, unclevlad said:

He had...gee, thinking back...not a great voice, but he used it superbly to tell stories.

I think he tended to use more formal vocal techniques during the 60s, but then seemed to relax and just be more natural as the 70s progressed.  A distinctive voice, in my mind, and one that will sorely be missed.  (And for anyone who knows him mostly from "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", go check out the earlier "Ballad of Yarmouth Castle" from his Sunday Concert album - a different nautical disaster.)

Pariah, I didn't know that about "Come Monday", but now that you've shared that tidbit, I can't unhear Gordon Lightfoot singing it :D

Mariners’ Church of Detroit honors Gordon Lightfoot with Tuesday ringing of bells

Decades ago, in the final verse of his most beloved hit, Gordon Lightfoot depicted a solemn scene at Mariners’ Church of Detroit: "The church bell chimed 'til it rang 29 times / For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

At 3 p.m. Tuesday, the bell at Mariners’ Church rang out again — now chiming 30 times to honor those perished sailors along with the artist who famously memorialized them in song.