NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, talk about Old School.  Colts take the ball after that punt with 3 minutes left in the 3rd, then slam 11 straight runs for 60+ yards and gash 7 minutes off the clock.  SO FAR.

I didn't mind the punt per se, the FG was 55-ish, but I question the deep fade route on 3rd down....

EDIT:  Eisen and Warner are going "the Steeler defense did their job."  Are you kidding me?  The entire point of punting was to play field position.  This was only *slightly* less of a fail than allowing the TD.

Andy Reid gats $100K for his criticism of officials after last week's game. Patrick Mahomes gets $50K for his. 

Meanwhile, Chiefs’ Kadarius Toney says referee ‘didn’t make no effort’ on controversial offsides penalty. Because, says he, it's the officials' job to tell him if he's offsides. 

What's your guess? I'm tentatively setting the over/under at $25K.

Edited by Pariah

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Andy Reid gats $100K for his criticism of officials after last week's game. Patrick Mahomes gets $50K for his. 

Meanwhile, Chiefs’ Kadarius Toney says referee ‘didn’t make no effort’ on controversial offsides penalty. Because, says he, it's the officials' job to tell him if he's offsides. 

What's your guess? I'm tentatively setting the over/under at $25K.

Not sure it warrants a fine from the league.  It's not critical of the refs per se, it's simply grossly ignorant.  I am sure it warrants a 1 game suspension by the Chiefs.  It cost them a game, so he should lose a game check.

Both ESPN and CBS are saying "likely to be medically cleared to play."  CBS is saying "...but probably won't."  ESPN is saying "might play if there's a slim chance."  The Jets' schedule is favorable...Washington, Cleveland, then Belichick's swan song.  (Which makes it incredibly unpredictable.  Last gasp...play great, versus time to move on...play terrible.) 

We may know today.  If the Jets lose to the Dolphins, the path is all but closed.  5-9 means no better than 8-9.  They can't win the division.  WC...Cleveland is 8-5, Cincy and Indy are 8-6, Houston and Buffalo are 7-6.  Houston's at Tennessee;   Buffalo gets Dallas.  Cleveland hosts Chicago...a win there closes out one spot.  Head to head, the Jets have only played Houston, and won.  They split with Buffalo.  Once you're past head to head...most tiebreakers don't go the Jets' way, it looks like.  At best, any path is extremely narrow. 

EDIT:  from ESPN recap of yesterday's results...

Can the Steelers win another game this season? The Steelers have dropped three games in a row, and there's not much from those performances to suggest this team can win another game this season -- let alone make the playoffs. In the loss to the Colts, a short-handed Steelers defense was outplayed by a similarly short-handed Colts offense, unable to stop players elevated from the practice squad from getting into the end zone. With a three-game stretch to end the season against a surging Bengals team, a stout Seattle squad and an AFC-leading Ravens group, the Steelers have to do more than put up 216 yards of offense, while allowing 372 yards of offense -- including 157 yards to third- and fourth-string running backs.

The Jets have come up with yet another stunning performance.

At halftime, they have:

--  -10 yards net passing.  Yes.  -10.  5 sacks for -47 is much of it.

--4 yards in total offense.

24-0 Dolphins.

Hey, I loathe Rodgers, but the ONLY sane advice anyone could give him was....don't even THINK about playing.  The 5 sacks...man, I wonder what the over/under on sacks for the Fins would've been for this one.  Jets are 3rd worst, allowing 55;  Dolphins are 4th best with 42 sacks.  Jets have already dropped a notch to 2nd worst.  (The Giants have allowed 69 sacks...almost a sack a game more than the 2nd worst.)

And anyone who thought the Jets with Rodgers might've gone somewhere...not with that line.  There's no way Rodgers could possibly have withstood the pounding.

OH MY....

Falcons move the ball into the red zone but the QB throws a pick, giving the ball to Young and the Panthers at the 5.  Young manages a 17 (!!!) play, 90 yard, 7+ minute drive to kick a game winner as the clock expires.

Carolina 9, Atlanta 7.

Bucs have won, Saints are probably taking knees, so the Falcons fall a game back, AND take a divisional loss to the team you just can't lose to, which will be very damaging if it comes down to record in the division.

The one really irritating aspect of having the ESPN scoreboard open, as well as watching a game, is that the game broadcasts are a good 20-30 seconds behind.

So the scoreboard showed Houston kicking the game winner...as the clock runs out in OT...well before the play.  And it was 54 yards, so it was no gimme.

The Bears blow a 10 point 4th quarter lead, having led most of the game.  Flacco manages 13 points in the 4th.  Cleveland 20-17 as the Bears gotta Bear it.

ESPN showed the Cowboys clinched earlier.  With the Bills and Jags the only AFC playoff-relevant matchups left this week, the Jets, Chargers, and Titans, all 5-9, do not show as eliminated.  

UPDATED:  ESPN shows Jets and Titans eliminated now, even before the afternoon games finish.  So does NFL.com, if you look at the Playoff Picture tab on the Standings page.

EDIT 2: 

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!

And this makes their path to the division *tough*...after the Squawks tonight, it's Gnats, Cards, Gnats.  It makes the route to the #1 seed even harder, as the Niners have the tie break.  If Dallas is a WC, the first round will be against the AFC South, they can win that.  But then it'll be Eagles, Niners on the road.  They're NOT!!! a good road team.

Shucky-darn, eh?  

Not particularly bold prediction...

Ron Rivera gets fired Monday.

Oh, well...ok, that's a nothingball.  SI is saying they've already decided to fire him.  

Worst defense in the league, by a LOT.  Denver's given up 351, they've given up 2nd most.  With the 28 so far today, Washington's at 423...so *5* points per game worse.  72 points?  Take Denver's 351, 72 points better than that would be Atlanta at 278.  Denver is #31.  Atlanta is #8.

EDIT:  ok, the report is he'll be fired at the end of the year.  Well, they've been eiminated...NFL.com has updated things now.  6 teams OUT.  (Arizona was obvious.)  Philly is also shown as in the playoffs now...oh, I see.  There's a note it's because the Niners won...which made me go...huh?  It's because the Niners clinch the West.  There must've been narrow routes for Seattle to take the division and the Niners in as a WC...with Philly losing out.  

So I'll still figure there's no reason to retain Rivera et al, so fire him, and whomever in the front office, tomorrow.  Leaving this hanging is only bad for everyone.

Ohhhh my....Lawrence is gonna catch heat for THAT move.  Not spiking the ball with, what, 12 or so seconds, ball at the 6 or 7.  Shotgun, but flares it out...the guy gets tackled in bounds.  Clock runs out.  Spike it, you can run a better-planned play.  Very, very bad clock use.  After a careless fumble stopped another drive. 

Missing 2 FGs doesn't help, altho the weather's a factor there.  But the Jags have failed to capitalize 4 times.

and then their exhausted defense fell apart in 2nd half, but honestly, you add even 3 fgs and a td to Jags going into half, so 23-10 and I think a different game in 2nd half. I get trying to catch a team by surprise, but honestly, you look one time for guy in end zone then throw it out the back if not there. you can't throw short at that point

18 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Worst defense in the league, by a LOT.  Denver's given up 351, they've given up 2nd most. 

It's worth noting that the 20% of the 351 came in that one game against the Dolphins. Denver's defense has ben a lot better since the, the blowout in Detroit notwithstanding. 

10 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It's worth noting that the 20% of the 351 came in that one game against the Dolphins. Denver's defense has ben a lot better since the, the blowout in Detroit notwithstanding. 

Ahh, well, Arizona stepped up to the plate.

Denver, 351

Arizona, 376

Washington, 423

So it's only 47...3+ points a game.

Oh, and I see the Commanders haven't fired Rivera yet.  Poor move, IMO.  They did cut Cam Cheeseman, their long snapper.  Might look like scapegoating?  But he'd been having snap problems all season.

So instead of losing a position or two in the draft order, they just leave everyone hung out to dry...players and coaches.  

They may be able to beat the Jets no matter what;  that team's collapsing even faster.  But it's Niners and Cowboys, with the Niners very likely still playing for the #1 seed, and the Cowboys potentially for the division.  Combined margins of victory...perhaps 50?  The lines in Vegas will probably be in the teens for both, despite the fact they're in DC.

Steelers safety Damontae Kazee suspended w/o pay for the rest of the season and possible playoffs.  ESPN reports he's previously been fined 5 times *this season.*  Kazee has the right to appeal, but man...6th violation?  It clearly appears the league is ready to crack down on the repeated violators, which also suggests they may start escalating punishments sooner.  

The Steelers have also ruled out Fitzpatrick, their other safety, so their secondary may be pretty darn threadbare for the Bengals.  Oh, and they're benching Trubisky for Rudolph, assuming Pickett can't return.  One can argue, well, anyone's better than Trubisky......but Rudolph's track record isn't any better.  Cincy is a road favorite, but only -2.5 right now;  wouldn't surprise me if this grows in the next few days.

I think Sunday's schedule is the sparsest since the league expanded to 32 teams.  Thursday, 2 games today, 3 games Monday...how ragged off do ya wanna bet ESPN is, with 2 NFL games crashing into their Christmas Day NBA marathon?  So only 10 games on Sunday...and only 9 on the OTA networks, cuz NBC has both games today (one on NBC, one on Peacock) so the Sunday night slot is NFL Network.  Then again, it is Pats vs. Broncos, so hiding it as much as possible makes perfectly good sense.

OK, so we can see where NBC's priorities are.

Bengals-Steelers is the bigger game...but they've got Noah Eagle and Todd Blackledge on it.  NOT their #1 crew, Tirico and Collinsworth...they're on the Bills-Chargers game, on Peacock.  And prime time.

Translation:  lets try to push streaming.............

My, my, a simple route over the middle, a bit of a missed tackle, and Pickens is GONE, GOODBYE!!!!!!!  Steelers *explode* for 86 and 6, just like that.