NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Broncos uniform set drops tomorrow at 9:00 am MDT.

I've seen leaks for a couple of weeks. How close any of these are to the real thing is hard to say, at least for the next 10½ hours.

As long as it remains blue and orange and drops the Nike parentheses stripes, I'm pretty sure I'll like them better than what the team is wearing now. 

Just now, Pariah said:

I've seen leaks for a couple of weeks. How close any of these are to the real thing is hard to say, at least for the next 10½ hours.

As long as it remains blue and orange and drops the Nike parentheses stripes, I'm pretty sure I'll like them better than what the team is wearing now. 

You hate the uniforms of the last few years by association.

Eh, not entirely. I mean, they won their three Super Bowls wearing that uniform set. One of them wasn't even that long ago, although the team's fortunes have been dreadful since then.

But the fact is I didn't like the uniforms much even at the beginning. I really disliked that the primary color was changed from orange to navy blue. Not even the royal blue I'd grown up watching. With the rounded numbers, I thought we looked an awful lot like the Bears. More to the point, I felt the uniforms were gratuitously dark, like so many other things in the mid-90s. 

And the stripes ... Mother of Hades, the stripes. They were hideous. New and daring and edgy for the sake of being new and daring and edgy. What purpose did they serve? How did they represent the team? Or was it just a cash grab by Nike, whose signature swoosh the curve of the stripes superficially resembled? I thought they looked ridiculous.

And in the mid-90s, those uniforms were everywhere. I remember a lot of college teams adopting that same template, most notably Boise State, who looked better than Denver in the set because they had the right color of blue. They were all the rage for a few years, and then faded into obscurity. Except in Denver, where they persisted for a generation. Even by about 2005, they looked dated.

But yeah, there have been some great moments with those uniforms. The three Super Bowls, of course, but also things like Tim Tebow's overtime touchdown pass, Peyton Manning's quarterback sneak against the Cowboys that even the cameraman didn't see coming, and so long. So yes, there are some good memories. 

But it's time for a change, and I'm glad it's coming now.

14 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Blue and orange is a ghastly color combination regardless.  ;)

While I am obviously not a huge fan of the Raiders, I do have to say that their look is iconic. The black and silver work really well together, and they have resisted the temptation to do a lot of unnecessary stuff with it. They look good, and have for a long time.

As far as blue and orange goes, it is certainly better than the brown and mustard yellow the Broncos were wearing for the first few years of their existence. Remember those throwbacks from a bunch of years ago? The ones with the vertically striped socks? So yeah, I'll take the blue and orange. But I would prefer royal blue, given the choice. But I wasn't.

(I will also point out that 9 of the 11 Stanley Cups won from 1980—1990 were won by teams wearing blue and orange. :nya: )

33 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Blue and orange is a ghastly color combination regardless.  ;)

A different sport, but I was very confused by the Rockies' pine-green-and-white "City" uniforms the other day.  If you're going to have novelty uniforms, go all the way, man.  Fuchsia and emerald!  Peachpuff and cyan!  Bisque, Gainsboro, and Warringale!  With frickin' UV laser spots on the pants, inducing fluorescence of colors outside the standard chromaticity space!

Yeesh.

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

If they follow current trends, they will probably look something like this:  

image.png.ee78d57bfcc447b90ee882ce83f1e513.png

Yeah, that's just blue and really dark orange.

When I own an NFL franchise, the colors will be turf green pants with football brown jerseys.  That have football seam patterns scattered all over them.

And disco ball helmets.