Market Research: Creatures of the Night, Revised?

DShomshak

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

That was Zuvembie, from the 3E Champions supplement, Enemies: The International File. Rather culturally simplistic and dated by today's standards, but the book has some cool ideas.

Oh yea, I forgot that one. Probably need to do a rewrite on him. I know I have the book somewhere.

Vampires have accumulated so much lore (if you like it) or baggage (if you don't) that it would take at least a small supplement to do them justice -- even if you stick to pop culture "gothic" vampires. There are many others!

It's tempting, given the amount of freelance work I did for White Wolf's Vampire: the Masquerade and Vampire: the Requiem, but I don't know that I will ever get a chance, for personal reasons that would take a while to explain.

My own favorite choice for First Vampire master villain is Kastchai (or Kostchei, Koshchei, etc) the Deathless, from Russian fairy tales. Intermediate shadowy mastermind of worldwide, behind-the-scenes power, Agrippina (look her up). But like I say... not yet, maybe not ever. CotN Resurrected will have just one general-purpose supervillain vampire.

ADDENDUM: I just finished my final revision of The Sylvestri Family Reunion (and it needed it). IIRC from what Jason Vester has said, it might be possible to publish it through Hall of Champions without needing an okay from Cryptic Studios. I will be looking into that possibility. That book will include a powerful specter and a vampire with a wide (probably too wide) array of powers.

Dean Shomshak

At this moment I'm also working on revising Brother Bone. He'll still be a bugnuts-insane skeleton with a book of magic. His spells are powerful, but it's an important part of the character that he has only a limited set of them.

OTOH one of those spells can be one to Summon demon minions (not just the succubus that helped corrupt him). The variety of demon minions can be arbitrarily large.

Dean Shomshak

14 hours ago, Marcus said:

Might be interesting!  We could use an Evil Ghost (tm).

Ill also note that while we have Vampires, we don’t have any on the scale of a super-menace.  A proto-sumerian blood-god type might be an interesting thing to have lying around.  Long running subtle-layered undead plots, but with something sufficient to challenge the whole party at the end.

Sounds like the Pillar Men from the second storyline of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Battle Tendancy).

Of course Demons, Undead and the like do not have to be the only villains/monsters that can have a ghostly touch. I have many times seen mentalists in a straight Champions game do the same. Especially if they avoid attacking the characters and just attack those around them. That way the heroes have no idea where the attack is coming from and can cause them to feel rather scared. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Yeah, the classic Astral Form. The likes of Dr. Strange and Prof. X often use it.

Or just having someone else attack the heroes that normally wouldn't attack them is another way to screw with them and make things rather unsettling.

6 minutes ago, Steve said:

I can’t recall for certain, but aren’t there some supervillains or monsters that could be stand-ins for the likes of the Candyman or Freddy Krueger? Urban legend sorts of baddies?

Definitely, The Monster from Champions Villains Volume Three: Solo Villains being a prime example.

18 minutes ago, Gauntlet said:

Definitely, The Monster from Champions Villains Volume Three: Solo Villains being a prime example.

Freakshow, Reaper, and Samhain from the same book, are all variations on that concept. So is Demoiselle Nocturne from DEMON: Servants Of Darkness, the most Freddy Krueger-like villain in the CU.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

That would be The Bogeyman, from the Dreamzone, in Champions in 3-D for Fourth Edition. The current official setting has a version of the Dreamzone, but the Bogeyman wasn't brought forward.

I nominate him as someone that could get an update. A living nightmare has many possibilities.

Good news! Jason Walters tells me he's pretty sure HERO still owns the rights to the artwork in the original CotN, and sees no reason I can't re-use it for the revised book. Woohoo! I think Greg Smith and Storn Cook did *superb* work. (Greg even contacted me to ask for further details about character appearance. Which is when I wrote him, "Make Lamplighter look like Patrick Stewart. He looks and sounds totally like Patrick Stewart.")

Dean Shomshak

20 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Shatner got into lazy habits under the time pressure of a Sixties TV series filming schedule. Look at some of his other performances, he's actually a very good actor. Heck, his early Star Trek work was fine drama.

And that's probably as far as this drift should go. :whistle:

True, but his pregnant pauses are a low hanging...fruit.

But now back to the subject of the thread. Which horror themed villain are you actually excited for?

Of the ones which haven't been updated, and that Dean says he wants to work on, I would be most interested in the Great Beast. His monstrous creations have vast potential, and I'd love to see a character sheet for his transformed bestial state (which I always visualized as looking much like Scoff from Aaron Alston's Strike Force).

I doubt Dean will tackle this subject as part of this project, but I'd love to see an update and expansion of his chapter on demons from COTN. Besides the ones in the book, Dean has mentioned a number of other intriguing grimoire demons in connection to his writings for the Champions Universe, and I'd be intrigued to learn more about them through the lens of how they might be used in a game.