AWESOME Custom Minis

Nato

OK, everyone run over to this guys site to look at his custom suPEhero miniatures. He does an excellent jub of converting HeroClix figures into complete custom characters. He chops and combines, resculpts, repaints these things into pure works of superhero art.

The link to his site...

http://www.quindia.com/archetype.html

But best of all, he has posted a tutorial for his technique on the M&M boards so that we can all give it a try.

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2045

It's very cool. I'm going to give it a try soon as I have an excess of HeroClix doubles sitting around. May try to make a Grong mini by combining two Hulk clix. Wish me luck.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that was very informative.

I bought "green stuff" after seeing articles about people sculpting their own miniatures. Turns out that despite some minimal artistic ability, I have absolutely NO talent for sculpting. So I've been using the green stuff in a similar capacity to this article, modifying miniatures I already had. I'm nowhere near as good as this guy though. Sheesh!

Re: AWESOME Custom Minis

Originally posted by Nato

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2045

It's very cool. I'm going to give it a try soon as I have an excess of HeroClix doubles sitting around. May try to make a Grong mini by combining two Hulk clix. Wish me luck.

I apologize in advance if I'm being presumptuous and you already know all this; and I was only able to look at the first two pages of the link above (took too long to load in my browser, or I'm not patient enough...) so he may have already stated these things, but anyway...

I'd recommend avoiding the GW blue-and-white stuff... it's mixed to have a long shelf-life, and alright for filling gaps. But if you're going to dive into sculpting, you should really get ahold of the green stuff. You can order it here...

http://www.fortressfigures.com/

Keep it in the freezer -- it'll stay good longer. Break off pieces as you need them. Before mixing, cut out the strip in the middle that separates the yellow from the blue -- it's gunk and does weird things to the green stuff.

When you use the green stuff, you'll find that it sticks to everything BUT what you want it to... Saliva will solve this problem, so frequent licking is in order. Lick your fingers, lick your sculpting tools. I know -- it sounds disgusting, but these are sacrifices you need to make (haha). (An aside: some sculptors use KY-Jelly.)

Concerning Grond...

I'm not real familar with the HeroClix line... but if you're using the Hulk displayed at the link you noted above, a couple of thoughts (I should also say I'm no expert on this...)

The hair is going to be hard to get rid off, without making his head all lumpy looking... Is there an Absorbing Man fig for HeroClix? If so, I'd get one and do a head swap. The horns are easy: drill holes in the head, glue in short bits of brass wire, and build-up the green stuff around it. I would use my fingers to be honest, and smooth with an Xcto knife

If you're basing it off the Zircher illo, the ears might be hard -- but it'd be important to keep in mind, that some of the ridges and such can be "faked" with good highlighting and shading, so no sense in banging your head against it if it's not perfect.

Come to think of it... is there an Abomination fig for HeroClix? That's the ticket right there -- he's already got the goofy fin ears and the horns are easy.

Getting those two arms on that Hulk fig might be rough... he's all crouched over and the torso might not be long enough. Honestly, I'd try to find a mini with his arms over his head, and if possible an over-long torso. Whatever you do, if it's for playing with, be sure to pin the arms to the torso. The resin/plastic WizKids uses is alot lighter than lead, but I'd still pin just to be on the safe side.

Good ideas!

I was thinking of cutting the head off of one Hulk, and sanding down his shirt. Then flattening down his shoulder some. Then I was going to cut another hulk, whole upper torso, and fixing that to the other chop job. Then filling and sculpting with the green stuff. Will look around for a suitable head though.

Thanks for tips on the horns!

Originally posted by Nato

I was thinking of cutting the head off of one Hulk, and sanding down his shirt. Then flattening down his shoulder some. Then I was going to cut another hulk, whole upper torso, and fixing that to the other chop job.

Hmmm... that's a good approach. You could also chop off the arms on one of the torsos -- cut straight across at the shoulders or elbows -- then reattach a little bit twisted (shame it's not lead -- you could just bend it then). That way it wouldn't look like two sets of arms, one atop the other, exactly the same.

Hey, that's a good idea. I'll definitely do that.

So is anyone else inspire to do some repaints or custom jobs based on the CU guys?

I'll probably do a dr. destroyer mini using the dr. doom mini first. Should be a fairly simpy job.

I feel like a fool. I love converting minis, but I never thought of doing it to Heroclix.

One other bit of Green Stuff advice...Keep a container of screaming hot water and freezing cold water next to you. If you're trying to make your putty thin and pliant, drop it in the hot water. This will give it the consistancy of chewed bubblegum. Need to carve it or fix it in a shape, soak it in the cold water.

I gotta go...Hydra is about to be bought out by Viper :D

what's cool about Hero Clix is you can get weenies to convert for real cheap in comparison to converting normal mini's, and Hydra works wonders as Viper Agents. The only thing missing are JQ Norms.

The greenstuff or whatever you use, like magic sculpt tends to be a little pricey for what you get.

Originally posted by Starcorp Man

I think he does. They are about 28 to 30 mm in size, depending on the fig, with some being obviously larger.

Interesting, It wierd how minis seem to be getting larger with time. I've seen a post on a forum about the 30mm scale of the SAS minis.

Ok Time for stupid question 2, what's the price range on the heroclix stuff?

Well boosters of 4 are 6.95, starters of 8 with rules and map (which works great for a battle map) 19.95 for the most part. PJC collectables has really good prices on singles and blow out large packs of commons for 20 to 30 bucks.

As for mini size, yeah I think Warhammer kind of lead the way. I find the larger figures, like th enew Chainmail line, and Hero Clix's to be easier to use, paint, alter and more detailed.