AWESOME Custom Minis

Nato

Originally posted by JohnOSpencer

No, I mean the fig is about 20mm. I'm looking at spidey(an average sized hero) and he is smaller than Warzone and GW figs. And look to be smaller than Superfigs. They could be 25mm but are not 30mm.

John Spencer

nah, no way... I don't know about Spidey, but I'm looking at a Hydra Agent, a Superfig named Scrounger, and GW wood elf from fairly recently... the Hydra agent is noticeably bigger -- using a ruler, from bottom of foot to top of head, he's 35 mil...

For a more accurate visual...

GW rank and file are an honest 28 mil (maybe creeping up to 30 mil but the difference is negligible).

Superfigs are about 28 mil.

What Reaper calls 25 mil (or at least used to) is more like GW's 28. I believe the recent slotta base, fantasy figs are advertised at 32mm. I haven't seen the SAS minis.

For true 25, dig out some Tom Meyer/Ral Partha figures from yesteryear. From what I've seen, few people outside of Historicals and some old school sculptors (ie Tom Meyer, Bob Charrette) use true 25 anymore... and come to think of it Foundry Historicals are 28mm I think.

[EDIT... silly me. GW LotR minis are true 25.]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Blue

Thanks, that was very informative.

I bought "green stuff" after seeing articles about people sculpting their own miniatures. Turns out that despite some minimal artistic ability, I have absolutely NO talent for sculpting. So I've been using the green stuff in a similar capacity to this article, modifying miniatures I already had. I'm nowhere near as good as this guy though. Sheesh!

Ahh green stuff.

Wear would my Mordiem gangs be without it?

http://clix.themakis.net/ shows some custom Clix by one of my players. A devoted fan of the genre, but not an award winning painter. Afew look better in RL, a few look better in pictures.

The currently available ones can be found at http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/marvel/ in the figure gallery, or at http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/dc/. Note that some figures are much more common than others, and that your favorites may be harder to find.

Originally posted by nblade

Interesting, It wierd how minis seem to be getting larger with time. I've seen a post on a forum about the 30mm scale of the SAS minis.

Ok Time for stupid question 2, what's the price range on the heroclix stuff?

The secret to this is d20. If 30mm=6ft, then 1"=5ft. The d20 square scale.

D20 is an illuminati plot. Grays get blamed for everything.

(Well, grays get blamed if you do the cover-up right.)

Okay, that wasn't worthy of a post. But it's Friday afternoon and the boards are slow, I've got an hour to kill before I can go home, and I need to boost my post total so I can stop being a "standard normal".

Originally posted by Nato

Did they arrive yet? I'm curious. Did you order a bunch of rookies or veterans or something? When you get them, can you let us know what types of characters you got, how many doubles, etc...

Thanks!

I just ordered them last night.

Here's what I ordered, most are rookies (rookies, vertern and experienced all lokk the same, they just have different STATS). I ordered the cheapest of each model. It's about 50-60 minis. Considering that the average metal mini is $2.00-$6.00, this is a steal. I found a guy selling 60 hew bases for $10.00 to complete my requirements. Now I just need two-part ribbon epoxy (should find it at a train or hobby place).

Product Name Qty Price

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCHC1 #008 Checkmate Agent - experienced 2 $0.70

DCHC1 #010 Checkmate Medic - rookie 2 $0.44

DCHC1 #014 Intergang Agent - experienced 2 $0.58

DCHC1 #022 Criminal - rookie 1 $0.24

DCHC1 #025 Huntress - Rookie 1 $0.24

DCHC1 #028 Robin - rookie 1 $0.19

DCHC1 #031 Hawkman - rookie 1 $0.54

DCHC1 #037 Catwoman - rookie 1 $0.29

DCHC1 #049 T.O. Morrow - rookie 1 $0.19

DCHC1 #055 Blue Beetle - rookie 1 $0.29

DCHC1 #061 Nightwing - rookie 1 $0.89

DCHC1 #082 Clayface - rookie 1 $0.69

DCHC1 #085 Hawk - rookie 1 $0.77

DCHC1 #088 Dove - rookie 1 $0.69

DCHC1 #091 Bane - rookie 1 $0.59

DCHC1 #118 Brainiac 13 - rookie 1 $0.49

MHC2 #002 Shield Trooper - blue 2 $0.68

MHC2 #007 Mandroid Armor - yellow 6 $1.14

MHC2 #017 Skrull Commando - blue 4 $0.76

MHC2 #022 Black Cat - yellow 1 $0.19

MHC2 #028 Doombot - yellow 1 $0.49

MHC2 #031 Avalanche - yellow 2 $0.30

MHC2 #034 Blob - yellow 1 $0.15

MHC2 #040 Elektra - yellow 1 $0.39

MHC2 #049 Human Torch - yellow 1 $0.59

MHC2 #052 Hawkeye - yellow 1 $0.29

MHC2 #055 Black Widow - yellow 1 $0.29

MHC2 #064 Sandman - yellow 1 $0.49

MHC2 #079 White Queen - yellow 1 $0.99

MHC1 #007 Hydra Operative - rookie 1 $0.59

MHC1 #016 Henchman - rookie 1 $0.36

MHC1 #022 Skrull Warrior - rookie 1 $0.29

MHC1 #019 Skrull Agent - rookie 1 $0.29

MHC1 #043 Kingpin - rookie 1 $0.34

MHC1 #047 Vulture - experienced 1 $0.49

MHC1 #055 Sabretooth - rookie 1 $0.24

MHC1 #058 Hulk - rookie 1 $0.69

MHC1 #070 Spider-Man - rookie 1 $1.49

MHC1 #088 Blizzard - rookie 1 $0.49

MHC1 #103 Scarlet Witch - rookie 1 $0.79

MHC1 #127 Magneto - rookie 1 $1.29

MHC1 #130 Kang - rookie 1 $0.49

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtotal: $22.41

Oh cool. Yeah, I just saw that they list the included characters under the big pic. I thought those were "similar" items. Yes, it's a damn good deal.

I'll be interested in seeing what you do with them.

Out of curiosity, why are you getting different bases? Just wanting to strip them of all HeroClix semblance for a complete custom look?

Oh cool. Yeah, I just saw that they list the included characters under the big pic. I thought those were "similar" items. Yes, it's a damn good deal.

I'll be interested in seeing what you do with them.

Out of curiosity, why are you getting different bases? Just wanting to strip them of all HeroClix semblance for a complete custom look?

The heroclix bases seem a bit bulky and I was indeed looking for a complete custom look. I wanted the Hex Bases so when it comes down to issues of turning and facing that I have hex bases on a hex map.

It all depends on how effective I am at removing the figures from the heroclix bases. I have saws, files and blades that should make the process easier, but if not, they'll just have to stay of the original bases. Now all I need is some two part ribbon epoxy for customizing and filling the slots in the bases.

Originally posted by SuperBlue

Has anybody used Homies? I'm going to get some to use for bystanders, but I supposer parts of them could be used for other stuff.

Also, Anyone going to build a mechanon figure? Cuz I was thinking about doing one, but don't really know where to start.

Haven't seen them. Where can we see some?

Just as an update, my bases and Heroclix should ship today. I just need to locate a new source (that doesn't charge $6.00 SHIPPING!) for Kneadatite, two part putty and then I'll get you guys some photos of the work in progress.

Also, Anyone going to build a mechanon figure? Cuz I was thinking about doing one, but don't really know where to start.

You could try the HeroClix Ultron figure and do a relatively simple conversion.

Originally posted by Tetsuyama

Any ideas on whether HeroClix will work with 25mm bases and hex mats? Does anyone have any experience with 25mm vs. 30mm with these?

They appear to be 28mm. I haven't measured the bases, that's why I am converting them to 25mm hex bases. I'll give you definitive measurements in 3-5 days.

Originally posted by Tetsuyama

Any ideas on whether HeroClix will work with 25mm bases and hex mats? Does anyone have any experience with 25mm vs. 30mm with these?

I've converted a couple of Heroclix for use with Champions and most figures will fit onto a standard 25mm base. I use round unslotted bases from Games Workshop, but I'm sure that hexagonal bases will work just as well. The based figures fill an entire 25mm hex, so you need to take that into account if you run alot of massed, in-close combats or often have multiple characters in a hex.

Concerning Homies

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Haven't seen them. Where can we see some?

Okay, check out http://www.homies.tv (to skip the Flash Intro, goto http://www.homies.tv/home.htm )

Anyway, the homies make good figures for citizens, but some (like the clowns) can be scrapped for peices (was thinking of doing a psycho clown villian or something... no? oh alright :'(

You could try the HeroClix Ultron figure and do a relatively simple conversion.

Thanks for the tip, though Ultron looks like he'd make a better Powered Armor Conversion like Defender. Might use the Mandroid Armor instead.... (heck! it's my campaign! I can make Mechanon look like anything I want! He could be a big purple bunny for all I care... on second thought, I'll just stick with the mandroid armor :Shudders: )

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

My players much prefer facing Foxbat to Mechanon.

Maybe cuz Mechon could mop the floor with Foxbat and his entire team? That would be kinda funny though...

Foxbat: "Alright metal-man! I'm going to lay down a beatin'"

Mechanon: "Foolish Lifeform. I will terminate all who stand in my way" :Vaporizes a School Bus of Nuns and Orphans:

Foxbat: "Jesus Christ! What kind of sicko melts a bus of Nuns and Orphans!?"

Mechanon: "Ha... Ha... Ha..." :Fires a beam at Team Foxbat, but it fizzles out: "Damn, insufficient energy."

Foxbat: "Should've used energygizer... CHARGE!!!"

:Mechanon still mops the floor with Team Foxbat:

Re: Concerning Homies

Okay, check out http://www.homies.tv (to skip the Flash Intro, goto http://www.homies.tv/home.htm )

Anyway, the homies make good figures for citizens, but some (like the clowns) can be scrapped for peices (was thinking of doing a psycho clown villian or something... no? oh alright :'(

They look great, what scale are they?