40 years ago today, March 24, 1984

Hm.  Didn't realize that 'black pudding' was a RL phenomenon; as a benighted USer I had only heard of it as the old D&D cleanup crew monster.

One Christmas back in the early 1970s my brother was given a beanbag chair with a dark brown upholstery.  He squinted at it in the pre-dawn gloom and said, "It's a black pudding."

... and now I'm thinking of some of my students, past and present, who fit nicely into the five archetypes defined by the main characters in that show.

I've got two or three of the so-called basket cases who aren't technically my students, but spend a couple hours in my room each week with the D&D Club. They're good kids.

....and it always seemed like the DM threw the black puddings out, AFTER the mage had used his best attack spells.....UGH!!!

Of course, practically every monster in that slimes group was *seriously* unpleasant, and best avoided if possible.