Takofane?

TechnoViking

taco-fane

the undead sorcerous taco bell dog.

/rant mode on!

I loathe having a single hero continuum. I don't want the local lich to "one day be a superhero" and I don't want my superheroic game set in a world that will one day become a space opera world! I want stand alone, durnit!

Guest zarglif69

You're not alone, buddy. Some of the implications of a single Hero continuum just flat contradict each other. for example, how do all the magic items and places just "disappear" during the sci-fi periods?

Originally posted by D-Man

taco-fane

the undead sorcerous taco bell dog.

/rant mode on!

I loathe having a single hero continuum. I don't want the local lich to "one day be a superhero" and I don't want my superheroic game set in a world that will one day become a space opera world! I want stand alone, durnit!

Eh, it does give it a nice single cast feel, but it's one I'm loathe to accept as well. I just pick out elements that I want to use. The Taco Lich will not be one of them.

Originally posted by zarglif69

You're not alone, buddy. Some of the implications of a single Hero continuum just flat contradict each other. for example, how do all the magic items and places just "disappear" during the sci-fi periods?

They're probably all in museums and thought of as pretty. Once the next phase of magic clicks in, I imagine the insurance rate for archeologists will sky rocket.

Originally posted by zarglif69

They don't disappear. The just become weaker or possibly not even powered at all. Try to think of it like Superman living away from the yellow sun. Eventually he just depowers down to a normal man but when you get him back into a yellow sun enviroment his cells start infusing with power again. So when the magic returns the artifacts rejuevenate.

Damn Lord Liaden beat me to it. Ravaging isn't what you think it is. Ravish is where your dirty mind went.

I to have great distaste for this one long hero continuity. I'd of much prefered to have several unconnected worlds, a multi-verse even.

Sure have the Valdorian age and the Turkian age connected, but not to space opera...atleast not how it was done here. Have Champs and Galactic Champs one universe but it needn't be connected to Alien wars.

It just seems like all of the champaing books are so generic (rightfully so) that this one long continuity feels kind of plastic.

I know it's not financially viable, but I'd love to see someone really create something brand new for hero, champain wise.....hmmm.....let me think on that.

Well, when you look at it, the two major comic-book companies, DC and Marvel, both have continuities which extend from the prehistoric past into the far future, with stories and even series set in those periods, and characters from different eras crossing over and interacting with each other. I must say that to me this gives the Hero Universe a sense of history, heritage and precedent that's lacking in any other super-hero game world, and even many fantasy and sci-fi settings. I rather like that sense. :)

At the same time there are elements that I don't like, but I feel free to change or remove what I don't want to use, and keep what I do. In my experience a consistent setting can please the largest number of gamers, because it caters to people who like that but is easy to modify by people who don't.

As for "something new," hopefully we'll one day be able to get a look at Scott Bennie's Gestalt setting for Champions - that promises to be a distinctly different take on supers, with no connection to the official Hero Universe.

Well since I never play in the world of Hero, my opinion is greater than a grain of salt. It just rubbs me the wrong way. It seems different for the Comics some how to me.

I don't think of Hero as being a comic book game. I like my fantasy literary, my space opera cinematic, my superheroes comic. IF Steve Long is trying to recreate a Marvel/DC world, then....OK, but those worlds don't try to be anything besides what they are comic books. In hero it feels like they are trying to offer us a variaty of feels and ambiance. This to me makes it feel Jumbled, we go from Conan, to Tolkien, reality, pulp, to 4 colors to Star Wars to the Legion of Super heroes. To many different tones.

this is all I'm saying. Like I said I use hero for Star Wars, L5R, Halo and my own creations, so my opinions on the hero game world aren't terribly important, though I do buy almost all of their non-champians stuff.

Originally posted by Rick

Well since I never play in the world of Hero, my opinion is greater than a grain of salt. It just rubbs me the wrong way. It seems different for the Comics some how to me.

I don't think of Hero as being a comic book game. I like my fantasy literary, my space opera cinematic, my superheroes comic. IF Steve Long is trying to recreate a Marvel/DC world, then....OK, but those worlds don't try to be anything besides what they are comic books. In hero it feels like they are trying to offer us a variaty of feels and ambiance. This to me makes it feel Jumbled, we go from Conan, to Tolkien, reality, pulp, to 4 colors to Star Wars to the Legion of Super heroes. To many different tones.

this is all I'm saying. Like I said I use hero for Star Wars, L5R, Halo and my own creations, so my opinions on the hero game world aren't terribly important, though I do buy almost all of their non-champiagns stuff.

If you don't like the interactions with the other periods, what keeps you from totally ignoring it? Steve addresses this very question in the Champions Universe document. If you don't like Takofanes becoming a supervillain one day, never mention it. You can even kill him off in your campaign or ignore him altogether. Play whatever period you want with whatever tone you want. They don't have to interact.

No slam intended, just trying to see what the problem is.

Keith "?" Curtis

Since I have players who go out and buy Hero stuff also, I have to watch what I use. Otherwise, you get players using VPP to target specific weaknesses in their opponents.

"Keep your dirty hands off my books, peasants!"

I developed my own campaign prehistory and posthistory, perhaps one of these days I'll try and write it up.

In my case, the world is doomed, and only exists because of time travel. Its slated to end in about 20 years, and only a few people know it. This gives incentive to my campaign, as the players want to Save the World.

While designed for Champions, it can work for fantasy worlds also. Just have someone come from the future and tell everyone that the world is doomed, unless they stop it. Then, at a later date, have them go back in time and find out that they were the cause for the world getting "created" in the first place. Thats what I did. Obviously a paradox, but what do you aboutwhen you are living in it?

Originally posted by Rick

Of course I ignore it, I just told you that I ignore. Still though it permeates a good deal of the material I buy from hero. I'm 'discussing' here on this "discussion" board why I dislike it, in an open honost 'discussion'.

Fair enuff!

Keith "no problems with that" Curtis

I like linking stories from different periods. I had pulp era adventures featuring a young Doctor Destroyer (sans power armor) as a villain.

However, 2020 seems to me like too early a date to end the superheroic age. Besides, It's too early to start the cyberpunk age too, IMHO.

The fantasy stuff being in the same universe as the SF I don't mind, the whole shoehorning the Superheroes in with the ebb and flow of magics is not one of my favorite things.

However within each genre, I love the fact that each setting is connected. With Solar Hero era (whenever that comes out), Alien Wars, Terran Empire and The galactic federation we have a 800 year future history to play around in. This is really nice if you want to run a time travel game or whatnot.

I hope that the fantasy settings do much the same thing, and flow from one to another.

Originally posted by Solomon

However, 2020 seems to me like too early a date to end the superheroic age. Besides, It's too early to start the cyberpunk age too, IMHO.

The 2020 time has semicyberpunk meaning to me, but that's because of a campaign from 1984. Let's just say most of what happened in that board can not be repeated on this board.