Dark Champions: Secret Worlds

RDU Neil

The (Mostly True) Secret Origin of Mr. Jones

Excerpt from a recorded message Mr. Jones left for Dr. Berkmann:

Dr. Berkman,

As we were talking about earlier, I have come up with several theories as to the cause of my condition. My most recent idea that I have been considering is that I'm not supposed to exist. This doesn't explain why I show up on cameras, but it could explain a lot.

I don't remember my mother's name anymore, although I can remember her face. But then, I don't remember my birth name anymore either. While on the streets as a youth, they called me "Ghost" for so long that this became my name. Anyways, I remember overhearing my mother talking when I was little. I wasn't supposed to born. She went to the doctor and had an abortion. After that, she didn't realize she was still pregnant until right before I was born.

Yeah.....I was a small baby.

My childhood seemed pretty normal until I was in 2nd grade. Before that, I may not have had a lot of friends, but I played by myself and was happy. The kids knew I was there. They talked to me sometimes. We just didn't become friends.

It was in 2nd grade that things started getting weird. It was gradual but as the year went on, my teacher would call on me when my hand was raised less and less. The kids paid no attention to me in the playground. I remember walking through the field where kids were playing kickball and noone yelled at me to tell me I was in the way of the game. It was even happening at home. There were a few times that my mom forgot to set a place at the table for me. I know she didn't mean to, she just forgot I was there.

Then, the letters started coming home. The school said I had been truant. A lady came..... from social services I guess. She wanted to take me away. She told my parents that they had been bad parents and that even when I was in class, the teachers felt that I was being neglected at home. I guess I was, but I knew it wasn't my parents fault.

This went on for a while and eventually I was sent to a foster home. I wasn't there long. I don't remember much about my foster parents. I think they were nice people, but I knew that the same thing would happen. You see.....I was invisible.

I'm not really insible, as you know. I just might as well be.

Growing up on the streets was tough, but it was easier for me than most of the kids I met there. Noone ever messed with me or my stuff and shoplifting came easy.

Eventually, I started stealing some more expensive things than food and the stuff to survive. I didn't want to, but I also didn't want to be a street-kid forever. I got enough money to get some fake IDs and a place to live. I set myself up with a computer and an internet connection and started learning and interacting with people on line. Eventually, I got some legit jobs as a computer consultant and didn't have to steal anymore, which made me happy. I never liked having to steal. Still, I found myslef apart from the world outside my apartment. Interacting with people in the real world was such a pain. I tried going out to eat every once and a while to be around other people, but no waiter would ever come take my order.

So, when Stang offered me a job, I was glad to accept. Until lately, I've never felt a part of something.

So, I've got a few theories......

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Episode 3 Recap: Dangerous Knowledge

(Thanks for posting, James. Interesting little exploration of Mr. Jones.)

Been a long nine days of 14 hours a piece. Need to get this final chapter written, before tonight's game, so here goes...

Gathered in Stang's kitchen, the group finally has some breathing room. Many of them have been looking to Stang for an explanation... and Berkmann has been asking Stang if he knows anything about a "Briar Rose" person/group... this second thing really made Stang nervous. As they grab some food, Stang explains the situation and who he is.

"Originally, I was just a business man. My father had a small import company from China, and after Princeton, I took many of his contacts and built on them. Maybe I was a little ahead of the curve, but I really saw that trading in goods was secondary to trading in information. Knowing who needed something, and who could provide it... that was just as important as the actual exchange. I started brokering deals, and with some capital, actually invested early in networked systems and computer security models. I'm actually not "Mr. Technical" but I know the concepts, and I found people to help build the systems and write the codes. I set up secure data systems for different companies. It was lucrative and interesting. No matter how technical the exchange becomes, it has to start with people talking. I guess I'm good at that." He pauses and thinks about things for a while.

"Ten years ago," he continues, "I started building in Hong Kong. If you've ever been to China or South East Asia... you'll know that everyone has to get paid to get anything accomplished. That's just the price of business. You pay the contractor and the labor and the city and the utility workers, and the local Tongs... No big deal, right? Play the game, it works out in the end."

Stang shakes his head, "Well, as you have all become rapidly aware of... things in this world are not always so obvious. My wake up call came over two years ago. I went to a business meeting that turned out to be with this old man. Small and wizened... a cliche of the old Chinese mystic. His people only called him "Grandfather" and later I learned that he is referred to as simply the Grandmaster. I'd dealt with the Triads, and thought I knew how to hold my own. This man was on another level. The Triads are afraid of this guy. The rumors around him make him sound like Fu Manchu... but what I found was all too real. Without me knowing it, he'd infiltrated 90% of the business deals I'd made in Hong Kong... over 60% of my operation... and with a word, could shut the whole thing down. He wanted me to know this, threatened to take away what I cared about, so that I would consider a new level of work with him. Exclusive to him."

"I laughed and walked away. 'Pull the plug' I said. 'It's not that important to me. I'll turn around and start over.' I mean it, too. The business was a challenge, but not my life. I turned around... he let me go. I flew back to the States, checking with all my people... talked to my wife about how things might change... and prepared to see what would happen."

"For a week, nothing happened. Business went on as usual. I almost got to the point of believing I'd called the old man's bluff. He'd lose too, if I went under. Billions, possibly."

"Then my daughter disappeared from kindergarten. The teachers and staff swear under oath that they saw her mother pick her up in our car, as normal. Unfortunately, my wife was six blocks away, stopped at a construction zone. She got there ten minutes later."

"I haven't seen my daughter since. The Grandmaster contacted me three days later. He wanted me to get to work. There was no question of saying no, now. He had my daughter... I have the evidence. He wanted me to start using my information gathering tools and networks, to begin looking for people for him. I was to be his eyes and ears, and only one of many I believe, in gather information and identities of certain people. Gifted people... Specials."

"I'd never heard of anything like this... and it seemed bizarre and relatively harmless. I thought the man was insane... until I began to find reason to believe folks like you..." Stang gestures to Mr. Jones, Berkmann and Owens... "actually existed. People like you who were just... better... at something than anyone really shoud be."

There is a flurry of questions from the group at this point, primarily speculations about the Grandmaster and what this person wants. Stang finally quiets them down, saying, "It took me over a year to find just one of you..." he gestures to Mr. Jones, whom the others had again forgotten about. Stang doesn't seem to have this problem. "I wasn't convinced until I met him... but with his work and those of my staff... we began to make headway. It was slow, though..." he shakes his head again, looking down. Finally, he say almost to himself, "I thought I'd have more time. Things have spun out of control."

Once more fully to the group he says, "Until now, I think I've been able to string the Grandmaster along. I'm sure I'm just one of his tools, and so I continue to fly under the radar. I feed him bits and pieces of information... primarily those I find in Asia and Europe. The domestic stuff I've passed off as media hype and bad reporting... or typical urban myths. I don't think he knows about Mr. Jones... but then hiding him isn't a problem. What has happened in the past two days, though... I don't think I can hide this. You all have just come out of the woodwork, and actions are hitting the news... this mess with the Yakuza and Triads... and now... " he gestures at Berkmann..."Briar Rose. I don't know much about them... but the easiest way to describe them is... a competitor. I don't know their intent or goal... but they are looking for the same things. Specials... unique events... unexplained phenomena... total X-Files stuff, only it's real. They are also a helluva lot more tech savvy than even my people. Very dangerous if they want to be."

Finally he says, "I know you are all looking to me as if I have the plan. That I can provide the magic bullet to get us all out of this mess. Unfortunately, I don't have that. I know what I want to happen... I thought I'd have more time, but things are cascading now." Berkmann challenges him, then. "Two years you've just done this, while this Grandmaster has your daughter? You've done nothing?"

Stang's face gets hard now... his usual good natured, comfortable expression gone. "I have been doing something... I've been trying to find you. People like you... people that might give me a chance. I don't want to turn you over to the Grandmaster. I will not follow his agenda. I'm actually hoping that you... or people like you... might be able to help me. Help me get my daughter back... somehow, your abilities might be the edge I need to take on this Grandmaster and have a chance of winning. I'll take as long as I have to, to make that work."

Then his comfortable appearance comes back, and he says, "But the immediate concerns are keeping us from that. All I ask is whether you might even consider working with me... and if so, I'm open to suggestions about what we do next."

(Ok... I lied... this took longer than I thought. Next posting should be the finaled of Episode 3.)

Here is Stang. I found this picture years ago, and really liked it. I don't know who the artist is, but credit to him/her is due. If anyone knows the artist, please chime in. If the artist is out there, let me know if you have a problem with my posting the picture, and I'll take it down.)

Episode 3 Recap: Don't Know Who They're Messin' With

(Must... finish... write... up... So... far... behind...)

After Stang's revelations, the group begins talking all at once, trying to figure out what they should do. Berkmann is concerned about the black SUV, as it screams "FEDS!" to him, and he believes he is the one they are looking for. McGregor is surprisingly interested in helping Stang get his daughter back, but still wants Stang's help in tracking down the Avenger. Terry is non-commital, but is looking for a mission on which to focus. Mr. Jones has already been working for Stang, and feels some loyalty to him for pulling him out of total obscurity. There is also a great deal of discussion about how this Yak/Triad battle affects things.

During this discussion, Jasmine speaks up and says, "I have a favor to ask of all of you. My brother... he is connected with the Yakuza. He may have some information about the gang war sitaution, and..." she hesitates, looking around the room, then continues. "He wants out. He wants to leave the Nine Flowers Gang. He has great ability, and may be able to help you, Mr. Stang... but he also needs somewhere to go."

"Can you get out of the Yakuza?" asks Mr. Jones, incredulously. "No... you can't," replies Jasmine. The rest of the group understands the difficulty of the situation. After some debate, they agree to speak to Ryu, and Jasmine calls him back. She gives him Stang's address, and finishes with, "I'm trusting you on this Ryu." He simply replies, "As I am trusting you."

While the group waits for Ryu, McGregor's tech, Melissa, calls to say she has recovered his car from where it had been left in traffic. McGregor gives him the address, and she show's up to drop off the Corvette. McGregor meets her at the gate and thanks her, giving her money for a cab and saying, "Go back to Zeus and the gang. You guys stay low. I'll contact you when I can." Melissa heads off.

Ryu makes his way to northern San Fran, and into Stang's neighborhood. While casing the place, he spots a black Ford Excursion parked in an adjacent drive, lights off and seemingly abandoned, but it is parked for a quick exit, and has a clean view from five hundred yards away, of Stang's mansion. The large estates and heavy wooded yards, coupled with the fact that Stang's property backs up on a undeveloped preserve area, makes it quite easy for Ryu to get to a back gate undetected. There, he taps into the security system, and sets it blinking in a 1-2-1-2 pattern, with a simple cut out.

Recognizing the signal, Terry goes out to the gate, heavily armed in vest, pistols, and a short barrelled Mossberg 12 Gauge. He sees no one at the gate, but remembers Jasmine saying that Ryu would likely have no problem getting in unseen. Announcing himself, Terry calls out. Ryu steps out of the darkness. Ryu dumps his pistol, and Owens pats him down. When he goes to retrieve the dumped pistol, it is gone. "I did not do that," says Ryu, carefull keeping his hands up.

"I got it," comes a voice, suddenly... and the two blink to see Mr. Jones a few feet away. Ryu is startled that anyone could sneak up on him. Terry just mutters, "You gotta stop DOING that!"

Once inside, the group listens to Ryu's short explanation. He says that the Yakuza attack was a mistake... of sorts. He explains the situation he saw with the Oyabun... and surprisingly admits that it is suspected that Kichinishi Ichiro has Alzheimer's. Owens just laughs at this, in a deadly, unhumorous "Ain't that how people always die..." kind of way. Ryu says he has a source of more information, but does not reveal the Oyabun's daughter at this time.

At this time, the group is realizing they are caught up in a number of chaotic forces. The gang war, the possible Fed investigation, Stang's secrets about the Grandmaster, the Briar Rose threat, and even the crazy Avenger vigilante... all events that seem to be wildly spinning out of control.

At that point, McGregor's cell rings. After a day of constant calls and information flying around... none of it good... the group flinches. On the other end, is Zeus. "Hey boss. Everything ok?" McGregor says yes, and then, "So did Melissa hook back up with you?"

"That's what I'm calling about, boss." Zeus goes on to say that he'd heard from her... that she'd seen McGregor and dropped off the car, was headed to the grocery, and would be back in an hour. That was the last the Zeus had heard from Melissa.

At this point, Ryu says, "If it is of any importance, I believe there someone is watching this house. They are across the street, down the block, in a dark, window tinted SUV."

The group has to restrain McGregor from storming out the front door immediately. If the SUV had been out there when Melissa arrived, they would have seen her. "They've got one of mine!" yells McGregor. Even the argument that they are likely to be Feds doesn't really persuade him. "If they grabbed Melissa, I don't care WHO they are!"

The discussion is a question of whether or not the SUV is actually holding Melissa or not. No one can decide how to figure this out, when finally Mr. Jones says... "Hold on. You said she had a cell phone. Ok... go over there... they won't see me... and then I call her phone, and see if I can hear it ring." (OOC: This was a turning point decision, as no one had thought of a way to determine yes or no on going after the SUV. Kudos to James/Mr Jones for pushing the game over the edge for the evening. WHEEE!)

Following Jones' plan... the group organizes. Jones circles the long block, and gets into position not ten feet from the back right of the SUV. Ryu agrees to help, and stealth's his way to about fifty feet from the left side. Owens gets himself a FN FAL w/scope from Stang's arsenal, and after slowly raising the temperature of one of the bedrooms to closer to 98.6 degrees, puts himself in sniper position, covering the front windshield. McGregor and Jasmine wait inside the front door with Jolly for confirmation on Melissa's whereabouts. Berkmann and Stang are in the security room, monitoring everything on camera.

Mr. Jones makes the call... and faintly, but unmistakably, the answering ring can be heard in the SUV. "They have her," says Jones into the radio.

McGregor and Jasmine move out... she behind him, holding his sword. He keeps his jacket off and hands empty and open, down to the gate and out into the streets, walking slowly.

Behind the Excursion, barely noticeable, Jones hears the engine purr to life, and the SUV begins to roll forward. "They're moving," he says, and then makes his presence known by firing armor piercing rounds into the front tire, seeing the heavy treads rupture in a satisfying whoosh.

"Taking the shot," says Terry, and the night opens with a crack, as his first round slams into the hood of the Ford, but there is no noticable affect. "Adjusting fire," comes Owens cold and calm voice.

The SUV accelerates, still moving ahead on three tires. Ryu moves, to intercept as it pulls left onto the street. Jones follows at a distance, not wanting to run into the long gun fire now coming from the house. Just as the Ford pulls onto the street, Owens fires again, this time aiming for the driver window. It is a perfect shot, and the heavy 7.62 round goes right through the reinforced glass. The SUV jerks in response, and it's acceleration slows, though no one can see what is happening immediately.

Inside as Berkmann watches things unfold... his paranoid eyes catch a flicker in the screens. Something many might miss, but he sees it run through each of the eight screens in a brief order... then repeat. He knows a carrier signal interupt when he sees one. "We are being hacked!" he says loudly... and immediately begins punching up the directory database.j

As the SUV began to move and the shots ring out, McGregor just held his hand back to Jasmine and said, "Sword me!" and took the blade by the scabard, and ran. As the Ford swings onto the street, moving toward him, and side steps to the left and leaps upward, catching the built in ski rack with one hand and swings onto the roof.

Owens, seeing the SUV slowed but still moving with McGregor on top, rolls out of the second story window and drops fifteen feet without a thought. "Going for a vehicle" he says, now on the front drive and heads for the garage.

Ryu comes out of the bushes and grabs onto the back of the Excursion, grabbing the door handle and trying to pull the door open, but finds it locked. On the roof, McGregor tries to break a side window with the pommel of his sword, but only cracks the glass. Mr. Jones, unseen, begins to run to catch up with the SUV which seems to be only coasting erratically at this moment.

Owens reaches the garage, which has just begun rolling upward, as Jolly had heard him and hit the door opener. He rolls in and comes up looking for a vehicle. The closest is the black Yakuza van, having been pulled inside to keep it out of sight.

Berkmann can be heard, over the radio, yelling about tracer worms and cutting off infected servers, as McGregor continues to hammer at the window. Ryu tries to shoot out the back lock, but the vehicle is armored and his pistol round just mangles the key slot. Jones makes his way parallel to the van, which suddenly begins to accelerate again.

Owens jumps in the van, keys still in it, and slams it into reverse, out the garage and down the drive toward the gate. As he looks backward, he sees that Jo-Jo, the Yak enforcer they'd captured was still hog tied in the back of the van. "Hiya bloke!" he says with a grin, as the van careens away.

At the acceleration of the van, Ryu drops off the back, rolls right and fires at the second right tire not yet blown. His shots are at an angle, and "spang" off the side with no effect. Armored tires. Mr. Jones makes an amazing jump on to the running board of the SUV, and grabs the driver's door, yanking it open in surprise, while McGregor hangs on. Sitting in the driver is a large male, white, dark suit, earpiece and sunglasses, who turns, surprised at his door suddenly swung open. Jones' can see that another similarly dressed man has been pushed into the passenger seat. Bits of glass and blood are spattered in the cabin.

At that point the SUV is accelerating past Stang's, just as Owens and the black van come flying out of the gate and directly at the SUV. Jones and the driver with no time to act against eachother gape through the front winshield and the oncoming van. The driver pulls sideways, and Jones just goes backward on to the grassy burm, both trying to avoid the inevitable crash. Owens swerves at the last second, hitting the front right side of the SUV perfectly with the back of the van. There is a brief image of Jo-Jo's terrified face pressed up against the glass of the Yak van rear window... and then the two smash together with an "SKEERRRUNCCH!" of glass and metal, driving both to a stop by the side of the road.

McGregor barely holds on, his body flipping over the front of the SUV to slam into the windshield and hood, but he keeps his grip on the front ski rack bar. He curses himself, seeing the front door open, after trying to pound his way in from the side.

Terry rolls out of the van drivers door, moving back in a crouch, covering the area from his area. Out of his sight, on the other side of the SUV, the driver comes out staggering a bit, but drawing a heavy pistol. On the other side, rear passenger door pops open... and a second agent, male, same suit, but younger and black, comes out clutching his stomach which is red with blood. He is again, blocked from Terry by the Van.

Mr. Jones fires at the driver, the slug hitting him in upper chest, but it just makes him grunt and turn his pistol toward Jones, looking surprised that he never saw the shooter before this moment. He fires twice and misses, but sends Jones scrambling.

Ryu gives the second agent no quarter, and flings a silent flurry of shuriken at him, one of which hits him in the forearm that is covering his stomach. Grimacing in pain, he continues standing... just as Owens casually leaps atop the Yak van... an easy ten foot verticle, and fires a burst of rounds from his FN down on the man. Injured as he is the agent still moves quickly, and rolls left and away, avoiding the lethal spray.

McGregor, meanwhile, ignored the driver, and swung inside the SUV, calling out for Melissa. Inside, he is met by a third agent, and woman, and a close quarter fight breaks out in the confines of the vehicle. He tries to slam her with his sword, but she takes it on her shoulder, punching back with bruising blows on his left. Tucking up on himself, he pulls his feet up in the cramped quarters and kicks vicously over the seats. A difficult maneuver, but she is limited in movement as well, and the kick takes her in the throat, and she collapses on the bench seat.

Outside, Mr. Jones and the first agent start moving and firing, both crouching and side stepping while firing, a deadly dance of bullets at twenty feet. On the other side of the SUV... Terry moves with precision, simply following the agents roll, and fires another burst at his new position. Without cover, the agent is hit with deadly accuracy. All three rounds take him in the torso, blowing through him and spraying his life all over the street.

Still exchanging gunfire the agent makes a move to flee into the bushes, sending a final volley at Jones, who's own rounds miss. One bullet finds it's mark, as Jones' left arm explodes in pain and blood as the .40 caliber round blows through the meat of his tricep, just as the agent disappears. Shocked and in pain, Jones' screams inarticulately and unloads his pistol in the direction of the fleeing agent in a panicked "BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM!" that ends with the futile "Chack" of his slide locking open on his empty pistol.

At that moment, the back doors of the SUV bust open, and McGregor comes striding out, holding a taped and handcuffed Melissa, limp in his arms. Unconscious but alive, he'd found her lying in the cargo area of the SUV.

(OOC: We left the game at this point... tired and frazzled, but I followed up with a single e-mail the next day.)

>>>In the seconds after the last shot from Jones' gun goes silent, McGregor strides away from the Excursion, carrying the unconscious Melissa. Owens steps back from the the dead agent, as Ryu moves forward. Stepping back from the wreckage of the van and SUV, spent shells scattered around the dead agent, Owens mutters... "We're screwed..."

Then there is a hollow "Whumpf!" from the back of the SUV... Ryu and McGregor can easily turn and see an acrid black smoke billow out from the open rear doors... then a slight lick of flame can be seen. Jasmine ,jogging toward McGregor, sees this as well and she calls out... "Uhmm.... Run?!?" and grabs McGregor's, lapels to pull him away.

Everyone scatters as a wash of flames suddenly gouts out of the back of the SUV. McGregor knows that the female FBI agent was still inside the SUV... and Jo-Jo is still in back of the van, which is crammed up against the now engulfed SUV. As the SUV begins to really burn... "Yep... we're screwed," says Owens.<<<

End Episode 3 (Finally... geez... now I have to type up Episode 4! :rolleyes:

WHOOPS! I posted the wrong attachment, earlier. Sorry! The Story So Far is too big to attach, so I edited down to just Episode 3. Sorry again. :o

Originally posted by pinecone

Just a quick "atta-boy"...this is a cool narative and I am grateful for your typing mastery.....

Appreciate it Pinecone. I do this as a record of the game and for the players to review... but I'm glad others are enjoying it.

Attached is the text document of The Story So Far... now including Episode 3. I've attached it at the beginning of the thread as well.

GM Summary:

The Good: The team came together, finally. There were lots of strong personalities at the board, but everyone had their input. James really stepped up with Mr. Jones, and made the play of the evening with the cell phone trick.

The Bad: Ferrett/Berkmann still hasn't been in combat. He's ok, but not really a combat character, and this pisses Ferrett off. Doesn't like to be in the background. I understand this, but haven't been able to figure it out, yet. I did give Berkmann a serious hacking job to work on that was critical to the group, but it wasn't something the player enjoyed. Berkmann may be more NPC material than really a PC.

The Ugly: I'd made a small logistical error in my details, and that honks me off. I'd had Stang's mansion be in LA, with the action happening in San Fran, because I really didn't expect the game to stay in SF at all. Because of the game where only two players showed up (Episode 2) I made some adjustments on the fly, and realized I'd placed Stang & Jones in SF, when he really wouldn't be that close. I had to retro-fit Stang's manion to SF. It really had no effect on the game, but I hate screwing up details. Bad GM... bad, bad, bad... :mad:

Neil,

Just finished reading the entire thread this morning...

WOW! I'll definitely be borrowing some of these ideas for a campaign I hope to write up someday. More a "Feng Shui/Shadowfist" sort of thing.

I was reading your comments on reducing/raising DCs for martial arts vs guns for armor. I have an alternative suggestion that is a variation on something I remember from Aaron Allston's Strike Force supplement. In Strike Force, KAs could be bought higher than normal, with the limitation only for "causing property damage" or vs inanimate objects. I was thinking if you turned that idea around. You could add +6 RPD to your armor (for those that are designed to stop or minimize damage from bullets), only vs unarmed attacks. I think this might help sufficiently reduce damage caused by unarmed martial arts attacks, without having to recalculate all of the maneuvers DCs.

Originally posted by Xiawarr

Neil,

Just finished reading the entire thread this morning...

WOW! I'll definitely be borrowing some of these ideas for a campaign I hope to write up someday. More a "Feng Shui/Shadowfist" sort of thing.

I was reading your comments on reducing/raising DCs for martial arts vs guns for armor. I have an alternative suggestion that is a variation on something I remember from Aaron Allston's Strike Force supplement. In Strike Force, KAs could be bought higher than normal, with the limitation only for "causing property damage" or vs inanimate objects. I was thinking if you turned that idea around. You could add +6 RPD to your armor (for those that are designed to stop or minimize damage from bullets), only vs unarmed attacks. I think this might help sufficiently reduce damage caused by unarmed martial arts attacks, without having to recalculate all of the maneuvers DCs.

Glad you enjoyed the posts. As to you idea, I've found that since this level of game is very close to "normal" that simply reducing MA DCs by 1 is simple and effective. Subtract a d6 from normal attacks, or a DC from a KA... and you're golden. Easy for everyone to remember, and no real calculations. I leave maneuver costs alone.

Thanks for the suggestions, though... and yeah, this campaign definitely has a Feng Shui feel to it... but grittier. No mook rules... and more of Hero System's variables. To me, most Feng Shui characters looked exactly the same... as the system was too lean for real differentiation.

Stay tuned!

Episode 4: Blue Booking

(Between weekly sessions, the group exchanges e-mails to describe character intentions/actions... ask questions... and generally discuss the game. Below are posted the e-mails I received from each player... I limited last week to one e-mail each, to avoid arguments breaking out online (which happens all the time) and because I was busy with work and couldn't answer too many.)

These actions immediately set up the next FtF game.

------

From Eric... Bonhed... Hitoshi Ryu

Totally screwed.

Ryu will approach Jones, "Can I have my gun, please?" He will hand Jones the borrowed pistol, butt first.

Assuming Jones returns pistol, Turning to Terry (slowly, gun already hidden): "Mr. Owens, since you seem to be in charge of security here, I'll leave you to make travel arrangements for your people. I am going to see to the runner. Leave when you are ready; if I'm not back, I'll find you."

If there are no objections, he will track down the escaped agent.

------

------

Jones stumbles away from the flaming cars, holding his blood soaked left arm with his right hand. When Ryu asks for hs gun, Jones looks a little confused and then remembers.

He pulls the gun out with and hands it to him, covered in blood. His eyes go wide as he looks back to where he had been shot. Then he checks his holster to make sure that

he holstered his gun after he unloaded it. He seems relieved to find it there and barely notices Ryu running after the escaped agent.

He just starts walking towards the mansion, his face blanketed in pain.

-James, Agent of Chaos

------

------

From Storn - Owens

Well, no need for two vehicles to go up in flames... Terry will put the Yak van into drive and pull away to a safe distance and get out so he can powwow.

(Jo-Jo is just too much fun to let die....he's SW's Dudley Townes!).

Terry just falls back on the flip side of his SAS training (which is a lot of counter terrorist stuff) and his experiences

living on the seamy side of SE Asia.

Terry says, once everyone has gathered; "We are screwed. We just screwed some bad people's pooch. The way I see it, we have 5 minutes before the cops show. My plan? Get some cars. Some cash. Some gear.

We drive. North. Til we find a a boat we can buy, lease...whatever.

And we go to Baja by sea.

Promo, once we are in Mexico, you contact your people. Have them come down. We'll need to make money and your

fights can do that.

I have no papers. None. I am considered dead by my own gov't. We don't want to have to answer those questions... not to mention that I'm in the company of escaped Dr., a Yakuza enforcer and a guy who can go invisible at will.

Leaving by sea is the ONLY option. Airport and border are out."

Cellphone: "Stang, figure out who i your household is going and who isn't. Figure out what you need to destroy, and what you need to take With you. NOW move people! We don't have all night."

"Hey, Jones. Focus on something, just do one thing at a

time. Go pack what you need. Time is of the essence." Terry understands shellshock.

-------

------

Note: Joe/McGregor made an argument to actually stay in SF, rather than run... but he did it OOC, so I'm not posting it here. Regardless, his argument was that he feels responsible for the Yak/Triad blow-up and thinks he can actually earn some allies by trying to fix things. He thinks Berkmann can make up a story to explain it all away to the cops.

------

------

Berkmann's response:

a) They had a satellite up above, watching the entire thing. (I can show Mr. Jones proof of this via the log files of my hacking, and he should be able to testify to this fact.) I also now possess several heavily-encrypted files that I downloaded while I was there, doing a reverse hack.

Also, they knew where I was in the first place, and now they - whoever "they" are - have every reason to come after us and liquidate us.

Also, assuming the Briar Rose is a third organization and not tied to this incident, we now have three organizations that know exactly where we are and have proven that

they can reach us. (If the Yakuzas have Ryu, they no doubt have others with his talent on file somewhere.)

B) I can understand your responsibilities here, but to think that we, in the next twenty minutes or so, can fabricate a story that will convince the cops that we're dead AND the Yakuza GIVEN that there is hard evidence on us from an eye-in-the-sky satellite that will doubtlessly be leaked. I'm

good, but I'm not that good. You might stay - and best of luck to you if you do - but as someone who's been running from these people since 1970, I have not survived by staying after a TRIAD of massive firefights that have blown our cover and drawn attention to us.

I'll begin the write up of the actual Ftf Episode 4, next.

Episode 4 Recap: Band On The Run

Only had four players this week. Ferrett couldn't make it due to car troubles. It is interesting to see how the availability of players pushes the game in a direction very different than I originally intended. Without Berkmann in the mix, this session went quite differently.

In the minutes following the firefight, there is a great deal of confusion about what to do. Mr. Jones staggers up the drive, and is met by Dr. Cole, who seems to have no problem seeing him, though his concentration is shot. "Don't know what to say, really..." she comments, as cleans and bandages the wound, "But you really showed me something out there. I didn't really think you had it in you." Jones isn't sure whether to take it as a compliment, or not.

With Jo-Jo rescued from the back of the van, the group agrees to put the van back into the SUV, to let it burn as well. They do this before the gas tank goes up. The street is relatively quiet, but they know they have only a few minutes before the authorities show up. In the end, they agree to leave, but just the area, not the city entirely. With Berkmann warning about satellite surveillance, they take Stang's Range Rover, changing out the license plates from a collection Maggie has aquired. Owens, Jones and the unconscious Melissa are joined by Dr. Cole after Jolly puts a couple of long guns, boxes of ammunition, and a ruck of commando gear (webbing, vest, mask, etc.) in the back of the SUV. McGregor takes his own 'Vette, and they head away, after Jasmine states that she will stay behind to see if her brother returns.

Berkmann remains with Stang for the time being, to gather the equipment he may need to decript the data he hacked during the fire fight. He suspects he hit some deep black parts of the Homeland Security databases, but will need time to explore this. Stang promises he can hide the man for a while.

Meanwhile, Ryu has been off tracking down the last agent. The track takes him through some large estate grounds, and over a fourteen foot wall. Here he recognizes his prey as exceptional, as the agent clearly went over the wall without hesitation, and with bound, step and flip. Ryu manages it just as easily, but is presented with a choice at the top. One direction heads toward a dark and quiet side street, and the other cuts through a wooded area to a well lit and busy boulevard. Ryu makes a choice, and heads toward the lit avenue, eyes on the shadows all around him.

It is the right choice. Ryu quietly spies the agent about 35 feet away, across a drainage gully, just about to step out onto the sidewalk. The man has his jacket and shoulder holster off, and is checking the wound in his chest before moving on. Trying to stop him now, Ryu levels his pistol and fires for the kill The shot is barely an inch wide of it's mark, "thwapping" into the tree just behind the agent, who goes wide eyed, and dives down into the dark drainage ditch in front of him.

Ryu steps in, focusing on the faint white glow of the agent's shirt in the darkness, and fires again. There is a satisfying cry of pain (GM had to use a chit to move hit location from head to arm) and Ryu smiles grimly... just as his senses flare, and he turns to face an attack from behind.

Ryu sees a female figure come out of the shadows, a gun leveled in her hands. As quick as he is, he can't escpape the snap fire shot, and is surprised to see a silvery flash and find his side pierced by two darts trailing wire. Then his side lights up in glowing fire, as the taser discharges. Ryu gasps and twitches, but stands firm.

The taser fires again (continuous controlled, and the agent initiatized faster) and again Ryu jerks on the end of the wire... but he still doesn't go down. With a rapid twist of his arm he tears the wires and darts from his side, and dives hard to his right, into the trees... all to the rather stunned look of the female agent who had somehow escpaped the SUV before setting it ablaze.

When Ryu spins back around, the female agent has run through the trench toward the sidewalk where her partner is staggering up, his back now bloodied close to where he'd been shot before. "Our orders are to retreat," he says sternly, as she scans for Ryu with her pistol drawn. "But these bastards killed Brollin!" she snarls... (and the players were like "oooh... they DO have emotions!") The male agent pulls her away simply snapping "Orders!" while he covers his wounds with his jacket, and the two move off down the street, walking quickly and covering each others backs.

Ryu lets them go... and exhales... letting the pain of his wound flow through and out... then moves back toward Stang's, ignoring the burning in his chest.

More later...

Episode 4: Band On The Run pt 2

Owens, Jones, McGregor, Dr. Cole and Melissa make it away from the scene before the authorities show up, and drive some miles away to a Super 8 Motel. They get set up for the night in adjoining rooms, and Dr. Cole makes sure Melissa will be all right. She has been drugged, and doesn't come around immediately. The group abandons most of their cell phones, as Berkmann warns them they can be easily tapped. Dr. Cole was given a Sat-phone when she came with them, but they keep it's use sparing, as to minimize being compromised.

Back at Stang's, Jasmine receives a call from Ryu... stating that he is safe. She relays Ryu to McGregor and the two hash out a plan. McGregor wants Ryu to guarantee him safe passage to meet with the Oyabun. He wants to see if he can negotiate between the two groups, but knows the Yakuza may just want him dead. Ryu agrees, and says he will speak with his people. At this point, he is quite conflicted, as he was looking for a way out of the Yakuza... even going so far as to plan a way to fake his own death... and now he has to head back to them, use his position with them.

He calls Natsuko and wakes her. She agrees to meet him on the roof of the Westcorp building. There is a garden there, and when he arrives, he is surprised there are no guards. She is alone, and tells him that any decision made will have to be hers. Her father is better, but is withdrawn. Ryu asks if she will agree to meet with McGregor... and she says yes. They set a time. Ryu then asks her how she came to know the sign language taught to him by his ninja clan. Natsuko tells him that her father taught her. "My father always said that only the genin could truly be trusted. I'm putting my trust in you, Ryu," she says, her hand on his arm. He nods and leaves... knowing that only hours before, he was planning on abandoning her and the ikka completely.

The next day is long and boring. The group moves hotels, and changes vehicles, concerned about being tracked. A brief call to Stang by Dr. Cole indicates that while the police have questioned him, there has been no overt moves made by anyone. They are one guard, but doing well. At one point, Owens and Dr. Cole are alone in the hotel room, watching TV. Owens says, "You impress me, Dr. You are really good at this... handling the situation well." She thanks him, saying that he should get over it, or just continue to be surprised. Then she asks, "So how are you doing? You haven't asked me anything about your condition." Owens gets uncomfortable and clams up, taking the remote and turning up the TV volume. "I still want a second opinion," he finally says. Dr. Cole lets it drop, for the moment.

The next day, Jones, Owens and McGregor go to meet the Yakuza at a restaurant just off of Union Square, at the top of a department store. It is prior to lunch business, and quiet. Mr. Jones goes in first, unseen, to scout the area, and finds nothing threatening. Natsuko, Ryu and two guards are in a secluded part of the restaurant. McGregor and Owens soon arrive, and after the hostess leaves them, suffer the pat down, turn over their weapons, and sit. McGregor is with Natsuko and Ryu... Owens sits nearby with one of the guards.

McGregor explains that he meant no offense by operating in San Francisco, and wishes to make amends. He is willing to pay any appropriate cost, but also offers himself as a go-between with the Triads. He talks quickly and casually, sometimes running on at the mouth, but all with good intent. Natsuko finally turns to Ryu and speaks in Japanese. "He seems to mean well, but he is brash and ill mannered. Can such as he be trusted to speak for us?" Ryu thinks, and begins to give a qualified, "If he has the contact he says, and if..."

Natsuko cuts him off. "There is no if. You must give me an answer. Yes or no. Can he do what he says he can do?" Ryu is put on the spot. He does not have any clue whether McGregor can pull this off, but Ryu has no other choice at this time. He has put his chips in this pot, whether he intended to or not. "Yes," he finally says, his voice firm, though his thoughts are anything but.

Natsuko turns to McGregor. "Understand this. If you do this, then you speak for my father and all of the Nine Flower Gang. You must speak well." She looks McGregor in the eye, then says, "What I say next, you must be able to repeat fully and without error. You must tell the Dragon's Head the following... you must say, "The Yakuza come to you with downcast eyes." Do you understand? It must be said just so!"

At their table, Owens and the Yak guard had been getting comfortable, even exchanging humorous smirks at McGregor's ramblings. When this is said, though... the Yak's eyes go wide, then cast downward... he visibly trembles, and does not meet Owen's face again. Owens tries to make light of it, but is unable to break through. The group takes it's leave, then. Ryu accompanies them, at Natsuko's request.

With relief at getting out with his head still attached, Damien and the rest go back to meet up with Dr. Cole and Melissa who has come around. She remembers little or nothing of being picked up by the agents, but seems none the worse for wear. They move hotels again... paranoid, but more secure. Then begin to try and figure out how to contact the Triads. Jasmine has left to take McGregor's Corvette... a too obvious target, to a garage, and pick up something much more non-descript.

Much to Ryu's concern and McGregor's chagrin, it turns out that Damien's limited contacts are of no avail. Previously he had called Wu's man, Chow Yen... but Yen is dead now, and though he leaves a message at that number, no one returns the call. The day passes without luck, and as evening falls, McGregor, Owen, Wu and Ryu head to Chinatown. They hope to find some kind of contact that won't get them killed... even though Ryu knows that any Japanese with any sense of the local situation wouldn't be anywhere near Chinatown at this time.

Still the group heads into the area, desperate to contact the Triads before they retaliate and escalate the war even more.

To be continued...

---cut---

After some rigamarole to make sure Berkmann isn't exposed, they meet at a very busy Starbucks in downtown Seattle and converse.

------

I found this part funny, having lived in Seattle. Even if the FBI did catch wind their quarry was going to be "at a Starbucks in downtown Seattle" at a specific time, they probably still don't have enough manpower to watch every store! There are only so many FBI agents, but Starbucks are legion!

Originally posted by Ken Solo

---cut---

After some rigamarole to make sure Berkmann isn't exposed, they meet at a very busy Starbucks in downtown Seattle and converse.

------

I found this part funny, having lived in Seattle. Even if the FBI did catch wind their quarry was going to be "at a Starbucks in downtown Seattle" at a specific time, they probably still don't have enough manpower to watch every store! There are only so many FBI agents, but Starbucks are legion!

This was exactly why Berkmann chose it! He's a smart one, he is... our wacky, paranoid doctor! :D

Episode 4 Recap: Dangerous Negotiations

Once parked at the edge of Chinatown, the group debates their tactics as evening falls. It is suggested that they just put Ryu on the street and wait for someone to try something. Finally, Terry heads out, saying, "I operated in Hong Kong and southeast Asia for a long time. I think I know what to look for. Keep you distance and let me do my thing."

Frustrated, McGregor hangs back sucking on a cigarette while Owens heads down the hill. Off the main drag there are a number of restaurants and bars primarily frequented by locals and not tourists. Outside of one, Owen's spots a group of six male Chinese, all in their teens. They are leaning against the front wall, smoking, and trying to look tough... skinny arms dangling in too-new black leather jackets.

This is a familiar scene to Terry. He knows the Triads finance and recruit from the gangs... using them as soldiers and messengers. Most of the actual Red Poles (enforcers) come out of the gangs. Terry walks right up to them. Jones is not far behind, lost in the street crowds. Ryu follows in the shadows. "Good evening, gentlmen," he says... casually holding his hands away from himself in a non-threatening manner. "I mean no trouble, and I'm asking for your help. I know things are very touchy right now, but I may be able to help. I need to talk to Wu. I think you gentlmen may be able to put me in touch with him."

One youth steps up. Clearly the leader, he only comes up to Terry's chest... but his bravado is unmatched. As he stands in front of Terry, the others instinctively begin to circle the big man, though not with a lot of enthusiasm. Terry clearly looks like he could break any one of them in half. "You are not welcome here, English!" sneers the leader. "Now now, gents..." says Terry, shifting on to the balls of his feet. "This is business... no threat. I can pay you hard cash for your services. I just want to talk with Wu."

The leader continues to sneer, then nods his head toward the dark alley next to the restaurant. "We take this more private, maybe?" he asks, in a clear challenge to Terry to see if he will go. Owens just nods, resigned, and says "Whatever you say." They walk as a group into the darkness, still circled around Terry.

Of course, they don't notice Jones just ten feet behind them. Nor does anyone see Ryu slip ghostlike across the street, and scramble up the opposite side of the restaurant to the roof. "Damnit!" snaps McGregor, seeing this unfold, and he starts moving quickly down the hill, crushing out his cigarette as he goes.

In the alley, blocked from the view of most passer-bys, the leader turns around and confronts Terry, blowing cigarette smoke at him, but it just curls around his thick chest. Undeterred, the leader says, "You ask too much. No one will talk to you, English." His sneer breaks into a full smile. "But you will still pay us." His hard eyes meet Terry's. "Give us your money... then just walk away." The rest of the gang just snickers.

"Ok then..." shrugs Terry, and then his fist pistons out like cannon shot. It takes the leader square in the nose, extending another six inches, crushing cartilage and snapping the kids neck back, dropping him like a wet sack... he hits the pavement with a "slumph" and clutches his face... a slow moan bubbling from the spray of blood.

Terry spins immediately, putting his back against the wall, holding his hands up and saying gently, "Hey, hey now. I don't want this. I just want to talk to Wu. I don't want to hurt anyone."

At least that is what Terry thinks he says. To the gang members and Jones right behind them Terry says and is something else. When he whirls, his eyes are black pools and his voice is an even darker blackness, words grinding out in a evil tone, saying "You will take me to Wu... or I will kill every single one of you." His left hand is out, the palm somehow catching reflected light from the street, and the exposed tattoo of Kali seems to writhe in the shadows.

The gang members go stone silent and still, except for one which tries to turn and run, only to come face to barrel with Jones' gun. "Shhhh..." says Jones to the terrified boy.

"You," growls Terry. "Get Wu..." he says, then makes the others sit down by the wall. One has clearly soiled his pants and seems about to cry. As the one member runs around the corner, Jones says, "Laid it on a bit thick, don't you think?" looking warrily at Terry.

"Eh?" says the ex-SAS merc, blinking a bit and looking questioningly at Jones? He blinks as the hazy moments pass, and he remembers what he was trying to say, and realizes what he actually said. Up above, Ryu witnesses this, and drops down a few stories, landing in silence and darkness, unnoticed by anyone.

Just then McGregor makes the entrance to the alley. He is about to ask what the hell happened, when the gang member comes back out of the restaurant pushed ahead of two older, bigger men... clearly Triad Red Poles. The gang member blubbers, and there is a moment of tension as he points down the alley... then McGregor and one of the Red Poles see each other, and there is recognition. This soldier was with Wu four days ago, when the fight was held and the Avenger attacked. To McGregor's relief, the Red Pole stops, silences the gang member, then bows to McGregor. "You are known and welcome here," he says to McGregor... then sees Terry and Jones. He bows again to Jones, who is concentrating on maintaining his visibility. "You are honored as well for your actions." Clearly the fact that these two helped save Wu from the Yaks is known here.

The calm doesn't last, though. Just then, as the soldier invites McGregor and "his men" into the restaurant, Ryu steps out of the shadow. The Chinese start... then grab for their guns, faces twisted in anger. "NO! NO! WAIT!" yells McGregor, stepping in between the men, arms up. "He's with me. I am speaking for them. I take responsibility for him. I really need to speak to Wu, and he needs to be there." At this point, Ryu simply extends his hands outward, palms up, and goes down on his knees in a position of complete subservience. This all takes the Red Poles by surprise.

The one who is known sends the other back inside the restaurant. It is an agonizing minute, then he comes back and nods. Terry, McGregor and Jones are allowed inside without fuss... but inside, Ryu is greeted by at least seven other Red Poles, each with pistol or SMG aimed right at him. He is forced to sit in the middle of the emptied front room, on his hands, while the others stand around him, effectively covering him while minimizing the chance of catching their fellows in a possible crossfire. One twitch and Ryu will be just so much red paste.

The group stays like this for some time. Nearly 30 minutes of silence and tension. Then the known Red Pole goes back into the kitchen and returns with Wu who has his leg bandaged and is accompanied by the big Chinese cook last seen at the restaurant. The cook helps Wu to a chair, then nods at McGregor and Jones while cradling the captured SPAZ shotgun in his big arms, with the barrel pointed generally at Ryu.

"You continue to surprise me, Mr. McGregor," says Wu as a greeting, and beckons Damien to sit across from him. Wu introduces the Red Pole who knew them as Ka Lo. "He is my man now," indicating that Chow Yen has been replaced. "Tell me why you are here. I expect it to be quite interesting," he finishes, looking at Ryu.

Damien then explains his position; his feelings of responsibility for the current violence, and his hope that he can help stop it before it escalates. He submits Ryu as witness and supplicant from the Yakuza… and he specifically says, “From the Oyabun… we come to you with downcast eyes.†He says this very quietly, just to Wu and Ka Lo, and takes his time to say only what needs said. He assures them that this is legitimate. Wu thinks on it, studying Ryu… then says “The Dragon’s Head will have to be told. Only he can make the decision. I do not know what will be the next step, but you have done well.†He smiles at McGregor. “We are both business men. This violence helps no one… but know that something will be asked of the Nine Flower Gang as compensation.â€

Finally, Wu looks over at Terry, and asks McGregor… “That is Stang’s man, no?†When confirmed , Wu shakes his head. “My advice to you, do not trust Stang. Do not work with him. He is… as you say… dead man walking. He is in a very dangerous place. Do not follow his doom.†McGregor takes this in, understanding that it is not the Triads who threaten Stang, but clearly something even more deadly.

With that, Wu is escorted back out of the restaurant, while Ryu is kept under guard. Finally, the four leave escorted by Ka Lo back to their vehicle outside of Chinatown. He gives McGregor his number to contact, bows and leaves them.

Breathing a major sigh of relief, McGregor lights up his 20th cigarette of the day… fingers trembling slightly from the tension. “Ok… ok… ok… we’ve made it so far!†he says and smiles. “So now what?†And he looks at the group.

“Now we wait,†says Terry.

Ryu is simply silent, contemplating the audio bug he planted in the restaurant while sitting there, hoping it will pick up some useful information. (Eric spent a Blue Chit to have done this… which was a perfect ninja thing to do.) :cool:

End of Episode 4.

Episode 4: GB & U

GM Summary:

The Good: First real "non-combat" evening... with most of the PC effort being spent planning what to do, talking and interacting with each other and NPCs. It was unfortunate Ferrett/Berkmann wasn't here, as he could have really shone... but at the same time, this allowed McGregor to really establish his "organized crime" creds. Plus, this was the first night that the "world" felt comfortable. The brief conversation between Terry and Dr. Cole was really solid... Natsuko really took on a life of her own... and when the Chinese cook showed up again, James and Joe actually cheered. "Hey... the big guy got a promotion!" It really felt like the PCs and the Players were truly immersed in the world.

The Bad: I still find it hard with these characters, to give everyone something significant for their character. Especially Mr. Jones. It's hard to create social interaction with a character whom nobody notices. Also, I don't think the players give a whit about Stang. No matter how supportive he is, or what he can help do... they seemed ready to just dump him as soon as Wu warned them. Since he is such a straight up kind of guy, without any strong quirks to his character, I think he just fades into the background. Unfortunate, since so much revolves around him as my Deus Ex Machina.

The Ugly: Had to have a big metagame discussion both before and after the game, so that GM and players can hash out where we want the game to go. I've been confused by certain character actions (Ryu in particular) and having a tough time figuring out any consistency. This isn't a bad thing, but I've learned just to talk about this stuff openly, let the players know where I'm struggling... ask them what they like and don't like... etc. It doesn't help to just "soldier on" when a good, spirited discussion can help the game for everyone. Just have to be willing to hear "You know... I really don't like..." and accept it as taste, not criticism. This is a good group, and we metagame all the time, but for this new campaign, I really want to make sure we do it out in the open as much as possible.

Great game, Neil.

That last session was really cool, Neil. Don't take this as an insult (because from me this certainly is a compliment). The game was very much like an Amber game, a style of game where I'm more comfortable as a player. The pace moved along at the pace of the players and more of the game was spent fleshing out the characters and their interactions (with eachother and NPCs), than on combat.

Jones has more loyalty to Stang than most of the group, but I don't think any of us have gotten a feel for his personality. Still you've populated the world with a wealth of NPCs with interesting personalities, so you're doing a great job with the NPCs. He's the only one I can think of that I don't have a feel for.

-James

but I don't think any of us have gotten a feel for his personality. Still you've populated the world with a wealth of NPCs with interesting personalities, so you're doing a great job with the NPCs. He's the only one I can think of that I don't have a feel for.

I agree with James on Stang. He is bewildered by the events as much as the PCs. So, to look to him for leadership or someone to invest loyalty in, ain't happenin'. Yet.

And while his agenda for gathering "Specials" might be worthy... rescuing his daughter... the world enforces a certain cynicalness. A sorta 'yeah, right...what is his real agenda?" reaction is reasonable. Especially with the criminal element you've been saddle with as PCs. My own included.

Reminds me to write an e-mail. heh.

Well....

I appreciate the nudge. We had a game last Thursday, but Friday and Saturday I was busy, and Sunday my girl had the computer all day working on a major presentation... so I went out and played Magic.

I need to get writing... I realize. Glad to know at least one person is looking forward to these. :)

Episode 5: Alliances and Betrayals

Only had 3 players this week. James/Mr. Jones… Eric/Hitoshi Ryu… and Joe/Damien McGregor. As before, the available players are THE compeling factor on the direction of the game. Since these episodes are really like chapters, rather than individual stories, this in turn has the effect of driving the entire direction fo the campaign.

It’s rather humorous that I had ZERO intention of running a campaign about Asian crime families at war. As happens in most of my games, I just let things flow as the PCs do their thing and insert my original plot points where they seem to organically fit… or toss ‘em entirely and come up with new stuff on the fly! It’s probably obvious, but 80% or more of this campaign has been totally “on the fly†so far. WHEEEE! Makes it more interesting for me… that’s for sure. I’m as surprised as the rest of the group by where we end up.

Episode 5:

Following the tense negotiations between our heroes (and I use that term loosely), the Yakuza and the Triads, the group found itself in the “hurry up and wait†mode. They move their hotel once again… and then crash for the night. Waking up the next morning, they take it as a small victory that there are no news reports about further gang violence.

Terry takes the chance to call into Jolly & Stang. He realizes he wants to work for Stang, but a bodyguard position would be to limiting. Jolly suggests the two meet to discuss options, and Owens heads out. The others decide to get some breakfast, especially since Melissa has finally recovered from being drugged and is suffering a massive hangover. They go to a busy coffee shop/restaurant called Sufficient Grounds… and settle in for the morning like normal people, chatting, reading the paper, and checking e-mail. Every clank of a fork on a plate makes Melissa groan… and she complains that Mr. Jones is “typing too loudly†on his laptop… but otherwise it is a good morning.

Ryu, on the other hand, is on his own. He has to update Natsuko on the status of the negotiations. He is still unsure about her, as she treats him very differently than any other Yakuza. She is open, and seems to trust him. He certainly doesn’t know what to make of the fact that she has told him about her father… and the fact that she has asked to disobey what will likely be the orders from the “home office.†It is a very confusing situation, made worse because he now knows he wants out of the Yakuza, but isn’t sure whether the current situation is helping or hindering.

Ryu makes his report while the others are having waffles, and Natsuko asks many questions. Primarily she is concerned with what the Triad’s will ask for in terms of reparations. Ryu takes a chance, and asks her about her father… trying to get a sense of what is happening with the organization. She says that the rest know only that Ichiro-san is recovering from an illness and she speaks for him until them. “That won’t last long,†agrees Ryu, concerned with his own agenda. When Natsuko presses for more information about McGregor and the group of people he is working with, Ryu is vague, implying only McGregor is of any importance, and that he bears watching. Ryu wants to stay connected with these others he has met, but needs a reason for Natsuko to allow it. He convinces her that there is a level of trust between McGregor and himself and that he wants to make sure the man doesn’t make things worse. He reveals nothing of Stang or the others, and specifically makes no mention of his sister.

Back at Sufficient Grounds, Mr. Jones has noted a back log of e-mail. Normally one to spend every day online for at least a while, he has gone almost three days without checking in, and at least one person is quite concerned. Jones finds a series of “Are you ok?†messages from Sangre Eterna (her handle), one of his long term online friends. Real name is Beth, and Jones has more than a crush on her. They met once (she lives in Santa Barbara) IRL, and it turned out to be very uncomfortable. Jones is convinced that this was because he couldn’t concentrate long enough, and was sure she just forgot he was there. They’ve since returned to the safety of their on-line friendship, though Jones is carrying a bit of torch for her.

This is, of course, complicated by the fact that while IM-ing each other, Sangre Eterna asks Jones if he will be around in a couple days. Seems she is coming into town for some work. (She writes for some on-line magazines and might get a staff position and is going to FtF with the owners.) Jones is a bit stumped, honestly thinking, “Well, I could be dead by then…†but agrees to meet her, both elated and terrified. McGregor sticks his head over and asks what’s up. When Jones tells him, Damien says, “Alright! Got yerself a girl! Way to go, Jones!†It is an authentic congratulations, as McGregor really likes Jones. Back to back in a gunfight was really a bonding moment for Damien.

Jones, jokingly asks, “So… can I borrow the ‘vette when I see her?†Damien looks at him sternly. “I don’t drive like Terry!†says Jones.

“You don’t TRY to drive like Terry do you?†asks McGregor, and then reluctantly hands over the keys. “You’ll have to ask Jasmine where she parked it.â€

He says this as Melissa’s phone rings. Cursing at the noise, she scrabbles for it, and answers with a “Christ… ok, ok… what do you want? Oh hey Zeus… what… yeah, he’s here… ok…†She hands the phone to McGregor. “It’s Zeus. Something is up…â€

After McGregor answers Zeus says, “Hey boss I…†then the phone goes quiet before another voice comes on. “Where the fuck are you, McGregor?†hisses a nasal Jersey whine all to familiar to Damien.

“Oh hey Vinnie. How you doin? Where are you?†says Damien. He is cut off. “Enough of that noise. The question is where are you, McGregor?†snaps Vinnie. “You are late… I’ve had to track you down. I don’t like havin’ to work like that, y’know!â€

McGregor rubs the bridge of his nose. Yeah, he knows. Vinnie is a little prick, but he is the family’s little prick, and putting up with Vinnie is the price of independence. Now he knows that Vinnie is here for the monthly vig, and McGregor runs through some quick calculations. Yeah… he has the money, but after the bath he took when the Avenger smashed up his last fight, this is going to totally tap him out.

Not that Vinnie cares. “Hey, I got what you need, Vinnie. No problem. You in L.A.? I’m in San Fran. We meet, I get you the money!â€

“An extra day, and extra 10% Damien… you know the drill,†says Vinnie and McGregor starts to get pissed… but finally they agree to meet, with Vinnie driving up to SanFran which will take about four hours or so. “You got until 2:30, McGregor… and I want my extra 10%†finishes Vinnie then hangs up.

“It’s always something…†mutters Damien to himself.

To be cont'd...

I echo what seems to be popular sentiment on the boards about this campaign: you've managed to establish a cool feel and some compelling characters in a very short period of time. It's still difficult to know what to make of some of them and I think that's because I'm used to shorter emails with PBEM or the more obviousl connections of a FtF game.

In any case, it's an enjoyable read, even from afar.

BTW--your comments about the relative plotlessness, or the drifting of the plot at any rate, depending on your characters reminds me of the very different styles that you and Jim OMC play with. Both valid and enjoyable, but very, very different.

Episode 5: Alliances and Betrayals

Jasmine arrives at Sufficient Grounds and congratulates Jones on the possible date, then sits down with McGregor and Melissa. They are discussing the difficult position of the group, since both of them know that Vinnie is taking all their liquid cash. Melissa is encouraging Damien to just cut their losses in San Francisco and head back to Chicago. Back to the bar McGregor owns that is their home base. “We are all loyal, Damien. Zeus, Patrick, Phillip... we’ve got your back. We’ve got slush funds… and a few months of scraping by to get the cash flow going again… hey that’s no problem!†McGregor knows this is the right thing to do… but he also knows that he has some serious responsibilities here, now… and is caught between them. He even calls his brother, Michael… trying to see if there is a way out.

“You gotta play by the rules, Damien,†says his brother. “I’m happy to give you a loan, but you know what that means… it means you work FOR us… not with us. That’s what you wanted out from under in the first place.†McGregor is silent… angry, but he knows his brother is right. “There’s a price for everything, Damien,†finishes Michael, and hangs up.

Jasmine interrupts, pulling McGregor away so not even Melissa can hear. “You know that the crew needs to get out of here. You don’t want them caught up in family business. You’ve kept them out of it until now.†McGregor agrees. (and OOC: these discussions should be evidence that McGregor has secrets that are just coming to the surface.)

“But I’m not going with you, Damien,†she says. “Things are going on here… I can’t just walk away.â€

“Neither can I,†replies McGregor. “They’ve got to get out of here… but I need to figure out a way to do it without me going with ‘em. That takes money, and that is exactly what I’m running short on right now.â€

Then Jasmine says, “What about Stang? He was talking about needing you to help him with whatever operation he is setting up. All this ‘Special’ crap. How much is he willing to pay? He certainly keeps Jones and the others going, and maybe you can make a deal.â€

McGregor decides to go speak to Stang directly, to pursue this line of interest. If he can make a deal, he might have even more to offer Vinnie when he shows. The group breaks up with Jasmine heading back to Dr. Cole. Melissa heads out of town to meet up with Zeus and the rest, pack up and go home. Either way they can get out of the immediate danger.

During the conversation with Stang, Jones is told that Berkmann has been ensconced in a secure location, his head buried in the data he hacked from the FBI. It was heavily encrypted, and Berkmann has been trying to modify some of Jones’ decryption programs, but needs some help. Stang is hoping he can do some work on that, since Berkmann is raving… convinced that the only reason “THEY†haven’t come through the door in sunglasses and black helicopters is because he has found out their darkest secrets… only he can’t read them. Jones sneaks out with McGregor’s keys… making sure he gets the Corvette before Damien changes his mind, agreeing to work on the problem.

At Stang’s McGregor comes right out and asks if they can set up some kind of business deal. He does need a significant bit of money, but in exchange he offers to do whatever he can to help find Stang’s daughter. “Maybe I can use some of my influence with the Triads. We seem to be working well together… but I should tell you… they warned me off you. Told me you were trouble. That death followed you.â€

Stang was fascinated by this, because it explained a lot. He and the Triads had definitely had a working relationship after his years in Hong Kong. It is business as usual over there. But then they’d just ignored him. Not stood in his way, but not worked with him, either. Very un-Triad like. “Clearly the Grandmaster’s influence is strong… but if you could find a way to work with the Triad’s to help find my daughter… that would be worth a great deal to me.â€

“How’s $500 grand sound?†says McGregor. “Let me get my check book,†says Stang with a smile, and the deal is sealed.

Meanwhile, Ryu has returned to the apartment he keeps as Akito Takashi. There he cleans up and changes clothes, preparing to meet again with McGregor and the rest.

At the same time, Jones has set-up in a loft adjacent to an SBC office where he can hack their wireless network and hide his IP, getting to work on the decryption rewrite.

Finally, McGregor sets out for the restaurant where he agreed to meet Vinnie, finally comfortable that he can send his people back to Chicago to run the fight club business with Stang’s money, without the family interfering. He has the $250K plus 10% in a briefcase, ready to go.

Of course… nothing goes easy for these guys… (to be continued)