If you were a Who

Michael Hopcroft

Another Doctor Who themed question: if you could pplay an original version of the Docotr who looked, dressed and acted any way you like, what would he (or she -- some fans have posited the posibility that regenration might be capable of altering gender) be like?

Character sheets would be welcome in this discussion.

Re: How am I going to get this back on topic?

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

How on Earth am i going to convince this thread to get back on topic? Or is it an utterly hopeless case?

Obviously, I'm no help. :D

I'm not a fan of Dr. Who. Call me when Red Dwarf comes up for discussion.

Re: If you were a Who

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

Another Doctor Who themed question: if you could pplay an original version of the Docotr who looked, dressed and acted any way you like, what would he (or she -- some fans have posited the posibility that regenration might be capable of altering gender) be like?

I actually played a TimeLord in a cosmic-level, multiverse-spanning campaign once. His name was Lord Zoranujastubin, though most people referred to him as Lord Zed ("zed" being the English/Canadian pronunciation of the letter Z). I played him very much like Jon Pertwee's Doctor -- friendly with those who understood and cooperated with what he was doing and no time or patience for those fools who wouldn't listen to reason. I guess I also tried to bring some of the arrogance and mystery from Sylvester McCoy.

If I can find one of the old Lord Zoran character sheets, I might upload it some day. We created two versions, a 300-point version and then the 800-point cosmic version.

Re: Whovians Unite!

Originally posted by KawangaKid

I like them Doctors. How would you build "Venusian Aikido"?

BBC's website has some radio dramas with pictures on it!

I remember Venusian Aikido having lots of nerve strikes. Maybe an actual punch or two was thrown. It has been so long since I watched Doctor Who, so I can't recall all the details. It seems only the Pertwee Doctor (#3) knew Venusian Aikido.

I built is as an Entangle with no range. The only effect that Jon Pertwee seemed to use over and over was his ability to freeze someone instantly.

Re: Re: Whovians Unite!

Originally posted by Rigel

I built is as an Entangle with no range. The only effect that Jon Pertwee seemed to use over and over was his ability to freeze someone instantly.

There were a couple of moments in later stories (I'd have to go through an episode guide to remember which ones) where he engaged in some well-placed blocks and nerve strikes.

I need to find that URL so i can finish the current Richard E. Grant epiosde. The voice is fine, but I'm not sure I like the way they drew the character.

Originally posted by Farkling

Heh. That travelling space bohemian was my fave.

I have grunches of those shows about on videotape...i think doctors 3 through 6, just before McCoy took over. As far as I know, the McCoy episodes never "crossed the pond"

The McCoy episodes were all seen here in the San Francisco Bay Area. The PBS station also got the rights to show episodes featuring the first two Doctors. So I was lucky enough to see all seven. As for Paul McGann, I thought he did a good job as the Doctor, even if the storyline wasn't too good.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Yup, Sylvester McCoy made it across to here. I didn't like his Doctor much at first (and Ace really annoys me) but I grew to like him, and there were some very neat storys that took place during his tenure as the Doctor.

I can see what you mean what about Ace. I liked her from episode one (Dragonfire I think it was), but I can see why some might not. For me, McCoy was a great doctor -- arrogant, mysterious, playful, impatient.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my take on how I would play the Doctor as a player-character, assuming I could base his appearance on my own.

Phsyical: bright red hair, with a full but trimmed bears and mosutache. A bit stocky but not obese; say 5'11", about 205 lbs. I'm close to legally blind without my glasses, and i see no reason the most recent regeneration couldn;t have had a minor flaw that impacted his vision -- luckily the auto-optics system in the TARDIS was able to craft a nice-looking pair of wire-rimmed bifocals for him.

Costume: the Doctor's sual dress would be the coat from a green Zoot Suit, but with black denim pants, black sneakers (more practical for running around on difficult terrain), and either a green shirt and white tie or a brown sweated worn over a white shirt 9with the collar sticking out and no tie). the most unqie featre of the coat is the ornate red question mark embroidered into the right lapel. As the Doctor himself would say, "This is a perfect Who-suit -- guarunteed to blend into the background absolutely noplace!"

Persoanlity: My Doctor would have some of the mystery of sylvester McCoy in that you'll never know exaclty what he's thinking. There are also elements of Jack Benny-style exasperation in his personality, as if everyone less intelligent them himself is getting in the way most of the time. He's not one for physical confrontation, so a companion who is good at that sort of thing would compliment him nicely. he can unleash devastating witticisms and put-downs when he is in the mood -- he is lielkly to push his way through a crowd on Earth crying "Out of my way, you homo sapiens!" or to respond to pedantic villains or aliens with withering contempt. "Dihydrogen oxide? There's a whopping great source of it not a mile from here. it;s called the Rhine River. And why do you have do be such a pedant -- why can't you call it water like everyone else does?" If there is one person my Doctor would model himself after, though, it's bugs Bunny and his ability to fast-talk his way out of just about any situation. Although his motives are with the angels, there's a hint of the con-artist and jester about the Doctor.

Goals: Enigmatic. The Doctor knows there are a lot of people in the Universe who want to see him dead, dead, dead. Not becoming dead, dead, dead is very important to him. But he's hardly a coward -- facing down a megalomaniac armed only with his knowledge and his wits has a thrill to him that would rival any drug. At the same time, there are many threats to the cosmos that the Doctor would like to put out of the way once and for all. He will not always wait for trouble to come to him, sometimes going off on mysterious missions that he sets for himself and doesn;t tell anyone 9even his companions) about until they are right in the thick of them. of course, since the TARDIS is just as persnickety as ever trouble tends to find him with astonishing regularity as well, in which case he will face every situation with cunning and resolve (although he will play the coward when it suits his purposes -- "Put that thing away! You could hurt someone -- probably me!")

Foes: One of the story hooks I had in mind for my Doctor was a visit to an alternative universe in which he meets and defeats an evil version of himself who had made himself the Dalek Emperor. In the process, he discovers a new Master (the Matser has died in our universe) -- a stunningly beautiful woman who is exactly how kipling described the female of the species -- more deadly than the male. When the Doctor escapes back to his own universe, this master follows and a long-running duel ensues, resulting in several encounters in all sorts of places. The new Master (who refers to herslef as The Master, not The Mistress -- she introduces her self to the Doctor with Roger Delgado's classic line "I am known as the Master -- universally!") uses forms of power the original master would never have dreamed of using, building fantastic wealth and buying congo\lomerates not only to increase her own power but to set elaborate traps for her enemies, of whom the Doctor is paramount. Willing to use her incredibly long lifespan to set traps that take years just to bait, she tests the Doctor to the utmost at every opportunity, and to take him out she is willing to sacrifice millions of innocent lives 9while being very cautious with her own). Meanwhile, such regular foes of the Doctor as the Daleks and the Cybermen are still causing trouble in various points in time and space. And another old foe of the Doctor, the Monk (a Hartnell-era villain who liked to interefer in Earth history for his own beenfit and what he believed to be the humans' own good) would appear in a regenerated form, still determined to "reform" the past of his favorite planet. Then there are the usual war-crazed generals, megalomanic conquerors, and other mances that the Doctor has the uncanny ability to stumble across at exactly the wrong time. Colin Baker once quipped that "the Doctor goes to the shopping mall for four episodes would be a pretty boring story", but put that shopping mall on the South Pole and have it recently purchased by a congolomerate led by a certain "Gillian Masters" and you have the Doctor battling for his life against an especially cunning trap with hundreds of thousands of innocent shoppers in the way.....:o

And the first adventure of the Michael Hopcroft Doctor and Ryoko Kyudai, "The Infernal Machines" is being published on, of all places, The BBC website! Seems they have a section for fanction, and "The Infernal Machines" is being serialized there and what reviews there are have been good.

I'm hoping to keep this up with other stories, incluidng pmy planned "Alternity" story which will have severe consequences for the Doctor and for THIS universe. before I'm done I also plan to do a Dalek story (other than "Alternity") and "The Shopping Mall at the South Pole", about dangerous doings at a resort/shopping complex in 2094 Antarctica. And to think all the Doctor had wnated to do was buy Ryoko some shoes at the one place in the universe where he knew he had a lot of spending cash. Trouble just keeps on finding the Doctor....