What if... CU style: Nighthawk forms his own team

Hermit

Perhaps a mistake is made. Perhaps Nighthawk is mentally influenced to leave the Champions. Maybe Nighthawk feels the Champions have become too much under the thumb of the Authorities ( I think he's the only one of the team who isn't registered) and has lost it's drive. Whatever reason you want to use.

Let's assume that Nighthawk walks out of Homestead determined to form his own team.

Who do you think he'd recruit? I realize there may not be a lot of NPC super heroes that we have much detail on, but I think they should be considered first... but naturally we can and should also just speak generally.

I'm not sure I'd bring in known heroes. I mean, as you said, there aren't that many. And those that exist are mostly parts of other groups that I wouldn't want to dissect for this purpose. I'd bring in raw recruits fresh off the streets. But I might consider pulling a "Rogue" and bringing in a low-powered villain-turned-hero; someone from the books who it could be said was only evil because of their mentor. I'm trying to think if anyone fits that bill...

Re: What if... CU style: Nighthawk forms his own team

Originally posted by Hermit

Who do you think he'd recruit? I realize there may not be a lot of NPC super heroes that we have much detail on, but I think they should be considered first... but naturally we can and should also just speak generally.

I think he'd form a group of misfits that consist of a modern samurai weilding a magic sword, a european noble that has some good strength and earth powers, an element based shape-shifter, a teacher with a real electrical personality, a super-model with gaze-based mental powers ... oh and the cute kid that has some weird, alien powers depending on what color she is ...

Hello? Mike Baron? Who the heck ... it is? You gotta be kidding me .. really? Huh ... ;)

On a serious note, I would give him a "Marvel Knights"/Batsquad based group ...

What if... CU style: Nighthawk forms his own team

Originally posted by Sketchpad

I think he'd form a group of misfits that consist of a modern samurai weilding a magic sword, a european noble that has some good strength and earth powers, an element based shape-shifter, a teacher with a real electrical personality, a super-model with gaze-based mental powers ... oh and the cute kid that has some weird, alien powers depending on what color she is ...

Heh... :)

a random collection of outsiders you mean eh? :)

I could definately see Nighthawk trying to recruit Sai. I've even been thinking about him making her his sidekick as it is. I also think that Hydro, Eagle-Eye, and Taurus would make for interesting additions. The five of them would be a little weak on the power's side, but with the exception of Taurus they would make a good "stealth" group, doing a great deal more spying and undercover work.

Originally posted by Monolith

I could definately see Nighthawk trying to recruit Sai. I've even been thinking about him making her his sidekick as it is. I also think that Hydro, Eagle-Eye, and Taurus would make for interesting additions. The five of them would be a little weak on the power's side, but with the exception of Taurus they would make a good "stealth" group, doing a great deal more spying and undercover work.

Weird... I was sort of thinking Sai myself.

Eagle-Eye also sounds good, IF Nighthawk thought the guy was innocent of the crimes he's been accused of. If that's the case, he might even offer to help EE prove his innocence. Now there's a reason for our hypersensed fellow to join up.

Weird... I was sort of thinking Sai myself.

Eagle-Eye also sounds good, IF Nighthawk thought the guy was innocent of the crimes he's been accused of. If that's the case, he might even offer to help EE prove his innocence. Now there's a reason for our hypersensed fellow to join up.

Yeah, overall I think those five are a pretty good fit. Sai is the young mutant martial artist he can mold for the future. Eagle-Eye is the accused hero he can use to help infiltrate various criminal establishments. Hydro is the docks hero who knows about the comings and goings of "things." Taurus is the muscle, because it's always good to have one person around who can suck-up the blows from Grond. :)

I also imagine Nighthawk would reluctantly admit he needs a mystic sort... he'd probably go looking for that mysterious lady in white, but never find her.

I wonder what Alicia Blackmun would look light in tights?

Nah, nevermind, her sense of humor would drive him up the wall.

Re: What if... CU style: Nighthawk forms his own team

Heh... :)

a random collection of outsiders you mean eh? :)

Outsiders ... hey ... I like the sound of that ... maybe we should make a team and ... uh-oh ... Mr. Baron's knocking on the door again ... ;)

A 7-11 with a huge basement that doesn't show up on the plans. (And an escape tunnel.)

... what? It's a building that has an excuse for being open 24 hours a day, has an excuse for anybody not obviously meta walking into and out of it at any given hour, and nobody pays attention to them!

Need a few loyal agents to be the counter guys, natch, but hey, henchmen are cheap. :D

Originally posted by Chuckg

A 7-11 with a huge basement that doesn't show up on the plans.

... what? It's a building that has an excuse for being open 24 hours a day, has an excuse for *ANYBODY* walking into and out of it at any given hour, and nobody pays attention to them!

Need a few loyal agents to be the counter guys, natch, but hey, henchmen are cheap. :D

I actually kind of like this one.

And i can just see the smug look on the guy behind the register's face at the first would be robber....

"Mister, you have no idea how much this is the wrong store to rob..." :)

Originally posted by freakboy6117

sorry I'm just picturing the meetings with all these superheros sitting around the war room table slurping big glups and chowing down on twinkies for there excellent sugar rush.

So long as Nighthawk doesn't bogart the cheetos, everything's gonna be all right :D

Actually, I like the 7-11 superbase idea. Very nice! It even has the advantage that if supervillains ever discover the truth, it's probably going to be pretty easy to evacuate (not too many normals present at any one time). The only downside I can see is that if it is also a gas station (and most are) then that represents a real hazard.

I'm thinking that renting a unit in an typical industrial park (the kind that are just long sheet metal buildings divided into half a dozen businesses) would be better. Plenty of reason for people to show up/depart at all hours. Plus, you can make the team vehicle a white cargo van (or panel truck); the driver/henchmen just drives from the 'business' to the scene with the costumes in the back, they hop out and he drives on. With a little gimmicry (rotating license plates, and maybe quick-change logos) it'd be incredibly hard to backtrack the truck...

If we're allowed to tap Digital Hero for characters, I could see Nighthawk breaking Monolith free of the mob and recruiting her.

And count one more vote for the 7-11 base :) . I'm certain Nighthawk and Company could come up with some extra shielding for the gas tanks. Besides, the whole point of this base is not to be found in the first place, Firewing shouldn't be showing up if they do their job right.

At which point, the counter guy simply hands Firewing a Big Gulp, doesn't even ask him to pay for it, and wishes him a nice day as Firewing strolls out slurping on his drink.

*IF* he was given a training program for this job that was halfway competent or effective, at least. :)

Actually, I'd go down to Leo's and recruit some old guys who are getting tired of being supervillian henchmen, and hitting retirement age anyway, and asking them if they wouldn't like steady work at high pay for a while.

When you've been wililng to take punches from Ironclad while following around the likes of Black Harlequin dressed up in a dopey costume with no protective value, for highly irregular salary and the ever-present possibility of the boss flipping out and killing you for no reason, the idea of making executive PA wages while doing 7-11 work and all you have to do is stand aruond and not weird out under unusual *non*-combat circumstances would probably look like paradise.

Of course, you'd have to vet your potential employees to find the 'not really evil, just unable to find a way out of their miserable lives' henchmen in the henchmen dive.

Hell, for that matter, you wouldn't have to tell your henchmen that you were actually vigilante super-heroes. "Just stand here, look like a normal employee, and keep the front organization running... *AND YOU DON'T SEE NOTHING, HEAR NOTHING, KNOW NOTHING, YA GOT IT*?", has got to be a job they already know how to do.

Originally posted by Chuckg

Hell, for that matter, you wouldn't have to tell your henchmen that you were actually vigilante super-heroes. "Just stand here, look like a normal employee, and keep the front organization running... *AND YOU DON'T SEE NOTHING, HEAR NOTHING, KNOW NOTHING, YA GOT IT*?", has got to be a job they already know how to do.

Which could lead to high comedy as other heroes/vigilantes notice some former thugs now running the slurpee machine and small clues that something else might be going down.

Nightwind unholstered his desert eagles as he tumbled through the trap door under the lousy American Beer section of the store.

"Okay punks, let's dan... Nighthawk? Hey man, didn't know this was your gig... sorry about that."

;)