Seeker, 5th Edition

Metaphysician

Uhhh....The character no.

As two Chinese and Japanese culture, yes I'm more than passingly familiar W/both and their influence upon each other. As well as their near disdain for blending of both or those who don't know the difference between the two. During a demo at chinese new year a Kung Fu school used a Koto Drum CD....Yeah not good. Japanese Martial Arts Schools do not traditionally nor currently use Giam (unless it's some very free style school). Just like Chinese martial arts schools don't teach Katana.

Originally posted by Rick

Uhhh....The character no.

As two Chinese and Japanese culture, yes I'm more than passingly familiar W/both and their influence upon each other. As well as their near disdain for blending of both or those who don't know the difference between the two. During a demo at chinese new year a Kung Fu school used a Koto Drum CD....Yeah not good. Japanese Martial Arts Schools do not traditionally nor currently use Giam (unless it's some very free style school). Just like Chinese martial arts schools don't teach Katana.

I think magic swords would kind of override any such prejudices.

• 4 years later...

Re: Seeker, 5th Edition

I still think I had the simplest upgrade to 4th ed (250pt) seeker.

Give him 75% Resistant damage reduction, Energy and Physical, with the 'Luck based' disad. 80pts.

Add 4 levels with DCV or HTH, or mixed to choice.

:D

Michael

My Inner GM would knock that down to 50%, and tack on either (or both) 'Only to reduce BODY damage' or/and 'must be aware of attack'. And then use the saved points to boost the old EGO a tad, with similar limits on it. But I do heartily agree with the DCV add, especially if Seeker-chan expects to scoot around the CU with no resistant defenses.

Hmm. I'm surprised no one's tried the old 'What happened to Seeker? Chuck Norris' line yet.

Well, the new official guidelines for the limits of human potential are DEX 30, SPD 7; these are maximums for what normal humans can achieve through training and innate ability. Beyond that you're "superhuman" and are expected to have some paranormal rationale for your extraordinary stats. Seeker's Characteristics are significantly below max in most other areas, though, especially the non-physical ones.

Having Watchers of the Dragon I'd have to say that there would be very little needed to update Seeker's writeup from that book for 5E - the changes between editions are minimal as they affect this character.

There were a lot of things I looked at when 5th Ed. came out and I thought "That was a horrible decision" but the raising of the NCM was the absolute WORST in my mind.

There were a lot of things I looked at when 5th Ed. came out and I thought "That was a horrible decision" but the raising of the NCM was the absolute WORST in my mind.

Umm, NCM was not raised at all

All that happened is they added a new class above Legendary (Which was anything over 20) called super human (30+ on physical, 50+ on Mental)

As far back as Danger International (My earliest "rules set" for NCM) you could buy over NCM

However do to bad naming, to many people feel that anything over NCM is superhuman instead of just extremly rare (1 in a million is what they say in some of the older books).

On the one hand I like the idea of "Here is where humanity stops", on the other hand I don;t think it is to appropriate for a Supers campeign, and anywhere else will most likely use NCM as a default, so kind of pointless except for maybe a "this is a example of a campeign rule" type of thign

Normal Characteristic Maximum (NCM) has NEVER been a hard cap (with regard to the magic number 20).

However, some posters appear to imply that it is.

It just happens to be the point at which characters governed by the rule must pay x2 the normal cost of characteristics covered by it.

As was previously mentioned, A Danger International character (call it 3rd Edition Heroic) could have a 30 DEX. It just happen to cost 90 points.

5e and 5er didn't change the rule at all. It just clarified the description of the rule.

Wow I guess people really didn't know what I mean.

To say that 30 in characteristics and 7 SPD was were "normal" stopped was the worst decision in my estimation. In my opinion stat's were already through the roof, and that just justified players jacking them up even higher. "Well a normal human can have a 7 SPD, that means I have to have an 8 to have superhuman speed".

The wost is that now any character that has ever been described as "peak human conditioning" automatically gets 30 STR, 30 DEX, and 7 SPD regardless if the source material justifies it or not (and I don't know many issues of Avengers that Cap runs over 30Mph, while lugging around a Volkswagon).

Again all this is my opinion, not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Did you really not know what I meant?

Yes and no, I knew that you knew the hard core rules issues (You can pay double over NCM), but your post did imply that you felt that anything over 20 was superhumam, which has never been the case