Galactic Champions

Metaphysician

From this very website...

Galactic Champions: Superheroes in space! Galactic Champions is your portal to superheroic adventure in the Galaxy of 3000 AD, when the fate of not just Earth, but the entire Universe, may lie in the hands of your heroes. In addition to describing the “galactic heroes†subgenre, Galactic Champions also tells you about the Champions Universe in the year 3000. Discover what the new Champions are like, who their greatest enemies are, and whether VIPER has survived the passage of a millennium!

Author: Darren Watts

Tentative Release Date: March 2004

Tentative Size: 176 pages

Re: Galactic Champions

A couple questions:

-Is it still on schedule??

-How much material from Star Hero is going to be required for effectively using it??

I know the baseline assumption is 600 point PCs, from what I've heard, but will there be any example "cosmic level"(700+ point) superheroes?

1) Well, I'm not late yet. It's currently scheduled for April (I know, we need to update the listing here) and I don't see it missing that by much if it all. As always, we'll keep everybody informed. Alas, the only reason it would be delayed at all is the amount of administrative time I've had to spend over the last couple of months with one thing and another. I've been working nights and weekends to keep it on track, and it shouldn't be much longer now.

2) Nothing from Star Hero will be *required*, as there will be brief summaries of the history, tech and alien races in the book. However, Terran Empire and to a lesser extent Alien Wars will be recommended, so that GMs can get a handle on the full richness of the setting.

3) The Champions themselves are eight representative 600-point characters. There are supporting heroes of both higher and lower costs. Also, there are a couple dozen or so bad guys, between 500 and a godawful number of points. dw

I think the page count is likely to rise, since the Gal. Fed. sourcebook got pushed to next year, and they said DW was going to add about 40 pages of material on the Federation.

My wish list:

1. stats for a Malvan ultradreadnought. :)

2. an explanation on how heroes can take on starships.

3. guidelines for running any high level supers game.

4. outlines/guidelines for a "no point limit" style campaign.

5. a couple decent megavillains, possibly including a planet-eater type and a nihilistic dark cosmic despot type.

Re: Re: Galactic Champions

Originally posted by Darren Watts

1) Well, I'm not late yet. It's currently scheduled for April (I know, we need to update the listing here) and I don't see it missing that by much if it all. As always, we'll keep everybody informed. Alas, the only reason it would be delayed at all is the amount of administrative time I've had to spend over the last couple of months with one thing and another. I've been working nights and weekends to keep it on track, and it shouldn't be much longer now.

2) Nothing from Star Hero will be *required*, as there will be brief summaries of the history, tech and alien races in the book. However, Terran Empire and to a lesser extent Alien Wars will be recommended, so that GMs can get a handle on the full richness of the setting.

3) The Champions themselves are eight representative 600-point characters. There are supporting heroes of both higher and lower costs. Also, there are a couple dozen or so bad guys, between 500 and a godawful number of points. dw

thanks for the update and info:)

Originally posted by megaplayboy

I think the page count is likely to rise, since the Gal. Fed. sourcebook got pushed to next year, and they said DW was going to add about 40 pages of material on the Federation.

On this, I had several setting suggestions I wanted to share with Darren (mostly in private emails), but I'll share one thing publicly:

I'd really like to see Malagar IV as the Federation capital.

Also, I'll echo the request for a Malvan ultradreadnaught; and ask for coverage of a niche similar to the Legion Espionage Squad, where everyone has a single simple superpower but mostly relies on skills and equipment. :)

Yikes, more questions! OK, lessee:

1) The final decision will be up to Steve, but I'm pretty sure there will be a playtest posting, and I'm also pretty sure the period will be fairly short. My home group's already had a whack at much of it.

2) Chapter Breakdown should go something like this once it's done. Chapter One will be a comparitively brisk discussion about high-powered characters from a player and GM viewpoint, as well as an overview of types of cosmic-level and super-scifi campaigns (including options for modern-day versions, a la Green Lantern.) Chapter Two is the basic setting, catching up non-Star Hero fans on the history of the universe from 2020 to 3000, and summarizing the aliens and tech available in the setting. Chapter Three is the Champions (eight 600-point supers) and their allies. Chapter Four is the Bad Guys, also including neutrals like the Sword of Ackal (a rival hero team) and a handful of familiar faces as well as a pile of nasty new baddies. Chapter Five is the GM Vault, with secret info, plot seeds and mini-campaigns and discussions of using the book in other settings. Chapter Six is a master glossary for those unfamiliar with the Hero Universe setting so they can keep all the aliens straight.

3)Bob, you got one on the nose. Good reading.

4) Malvan Ultradreadnaughts, you say? dw

I don't suppose we get a "What Would YOU Like To See?" thread, do we? (Or should we just count this as such a thread, for practical purposes?)

I did already post one of my other thoughts over in the Star Hero forum. :D

And I know I'm not alone in hoping to see Heather McGowrie somewhere in this book, having not aged a day. ;)