Opinions on an Archer character

Shikarr

Hi Guys here is an idea I have come up with for a character in a game. Take a peek and tell me what your alls opinions might be.Black ArrowPlayer:

Val Char Cost
18 STR 8
21 DEX 33
14 CON 8
11 BODY 2
10 INT 0
12 EGO 4
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
6 PD 2
6 ED 3
4 SPD 9
9 REC 4
30 END 1
30 STUN 3
9" RUN64" SWIM25 1/2" LEAP2Characteristics Cost: 87
Cost Power END
18 Arrows: MP, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)
1u 1) Dark Arrow: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), No Range (-1/2)
2u 2) Blunt Arrows: EB 9d6 (vs. PD), 8 Recoverable Charges (+0) (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
1u 3) Net Arrow: Entangle 4d6, 5 DEF (45 Active Points); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)
1u 4) Flare Arrow: Sight Group Flash 4d6, AOE (2" Radius; +1) (40 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)
1u 5) Sharp Arrow: RKA 3d6 (vs. PD) (45 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
22 Stabalized Compound Bow: Naked Modifier, Ranged (+1/2), NRM (+1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF (Bow; -1) 4
10 Swinging 15", x4 Noncombat (20 Active Points); OIF (Swingline Bracers; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2) 2
40 See the week spot: Find Weakness 11- with Related Group of Attacks, Ranged (+1/2), NRM (+1/2) (40 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 96
Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Climbing 13-
15 +3 with Ranged Combat
23 +8 with Ranged Combat (40 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1/2), Conditional Power Only to disreguard hit location negatives (-1/4)
3 Concealment 11-
10 Defense Maneuver I-IV
3 Fast Draw 13-
3 Inventor 11-
2 KS: Archery 11-
2 PS: Bower and Fletcher 11-
2 PS 11-
3 SS: Ballistics (INT-based) 11-
3 SS: Kinetics (INT-based) 11-
3 Lipreading 11-
5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)
3 Security Systems 11-
3 Shadowing 11-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 11-
3 Tactics 11-
3 Tracking 11-
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
5 Weaponsmith (Chemical Weapons, Incendiary Weapons, Muscle-Powered Ranged, Other) 11-
Skills Cost: 110
Cost Perk
10 Money: Wealthy
4 Computer Link
1 Fringe Benefit: Weapon Permit (where appropriate)
2 Fringe Benefit: Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate)
2 Fringe Benefit: Private Investigator License
1 Fringe Benefit: Passport
1 Fringe Benefit: License to practice a profession
Perks Cost: 21
Cost Talent
3 Absolute Range Sense
8 Combat Archery
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
7 Lightning Reflexes: +7 DEX to act first with Single Action
4 Rapid Archery
2 Trackless Stride
Talents Cost: 36
Val Disadvantages
25 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
5 Enraged: if Innocent Harmed (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-
20 Psychological Limitation: Always Calm and Collected (Common, Total) [Notes: Common, Total: 20 PointsA character with this Psych Limit always has himself together, never panics, and never gets overly emotional, even when its appropriate to do so. While this can, in some instances, be a good thing (keeping his head in stressful situations, for instance), most of the time other characters find him to be distant, unfeeling, and cold.Of course, the character isn't really Emotionless, but rather is so used to keeping himself composed that expressing any strong emotion (hate, Grief, love, lust, fear, etc.) is difficult for the character, and when he does do so, he tends to sound like he's reading memorized lines from a script rather than saying how he feels.At Common, Strong the character must make an Ego roll in order to avoid acting in this manner. At Common, Total the character can only force himself to act otherwise in times of great extingency.]
15 Psychological Limitation: Doesnt Hurry (Very Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Lives for the Hunt (Common, Total) [Notes: This Psych Limit is appropriate only for those characters who are bounty hunters or assassins. The character hunts (and possibly kills) other people and loves doing so. If he's an assassin, he's not satisfied with merely killing his target; if he's a bounty hunt, the capture and pay is a secondary consideration. The character's primary motivation is the chase; letting the target know that he is being hunted and running him down.Perversely, should the character ever become the subject of a hunt himself, he becomes frustrated, angry, and unstable. "The hunter becomes the hunted" is the bane of this character's existence.The character can only resist engaging in an elaborate hunt for his target in the most extreme of circumstances.This Psych Limit is not recommended for Player Characters.]
15 Psychological Limitation: Mysterious and Enigmatic (Common, Strong) [Notes: Common, Total: 20 PointsA character who is Mysterious and Enigmatic believes that the less anyone knows about him the better. He may work well with others (though most characters who take this disadvantage also take Loner or Never Lets Anyone Get Close). He may even be a staunch member of an established team. Regardless, the character never reveals anything he doesn't have to.Thus, the character's identity, information sources, and abilities will be kept secret - and the character will go to great lengths to keep it that way. Characters with this Psych Limit tend to show up out of nowhere with crucial information and no explanations, and just as quickly vanish into the shadow.A character with this Psych Limit at Common, Strong can open up to others if it is absolutely necessary and if an Ego roll is made. At Common, Total, the character never opens up to anyone, even if he really needs to.]
15 Social Limitation: Mercenaries Code of Conduct (Frequently, Severe, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
20 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 350

Height: 1.81 m Hair: Blond
Weight: 81.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Arrow is dressed in cammies normally with the pattern changed to fit the landscape. Whether woodland, desert, or urban whichever is appropriate is what he shall have on. He wears a simple usually black bandana over his mouth and nose. His specially stabalized compound bow is also usually painted camo also and he wears his is a rectangular affair on his back.Personality: Jason is motivated by his desire to ensure those who whould be punished are. Whether this involves making sure they are arrested and turned over to the police or killed outright, he only judges those that have already been judged. Recently however he has came accross some crime that has not been addressed by the courts and started delving into rectifing the situation. He is still unsure in these cases, but if a verdict has been turned in he is resolute.Quote:Let's play pin the tale on the donkey and you be the donkeyBackground: Jason James grew up in a broken home with an abusive father. The family was always on the run with his father a wanted criminal. Jason's life changed when his father was finally aprehended by a bounty hunter. To Jason it was the most freeing time of his life for his family. He fell in love with the idea of helping others in the same way but really didn't pursue it although the idea was in the back of his mind. All this happened when he was 12. When he turned 14 and went to high school he found out about archery and found he had a gift in shooting. He pursued this and even managed to get on the olmpic team for the 1992 Olympics. He won a gold medal. His life was going well until 2 yrs later in 1994 when his mother was killed in a corner store robbery by a criminal who had jumped bail. The old pain of his childhood arose as to did his desire to stop these people. He knew he could make a difference. He would hunt those low lifes down and stop them. He devoted his life to it now and hunts those that the law cannot seem to catch. During the course of his hunting he has came accross evil that the law will not even try to stop and has also started in on it also. Powers/Tactics: Jason is a long range combatant and knows it. He will not approach an opponent hand to hand at all if it can be avoided.Campaign Use: 

Well... first I'm going to be a gamer.

If I were you, I'd take that DEX down to 20 and take the EGO down to 11, and use some of those points to buy up his INT. Just seems like he should be smarter than average to me. Also, it seems like he should have NCM, but that's pure opinion.

3d6 RKA for the Sharp Arrow seems awfully strong. A lot of powerful handguns don't even do that much. 2d6 seems more appropriate, to me.

Why No Range Modifier on the bow? IMO, a better way to reflect his own personal accuracy with it would be to buy Penalty Skill Levels vs. Range...

...and if you want to offset hit location penalties, buy Penalty Skill Levels, not vanilla overall CSLs. It'll be cheaper and less clunky.

I don't know if you're using Hero Designer to make this guy, but some of the Talents you have listed (Combat Archery, Trackless Stride, etc.) are generally restricted to Fantasy Hero. Not a problem if your GM's cool, but worth mentioning.

He can't have Public ID for his VIPER Hunted and Social Limitation: Secret ID. Those kinda contrdict each other.

IMO, there's something of a conflict of interest in buying a 21 DEX and Lightning Reflexes, and then taking a Psych Lim of "Doesn't Hurry." Not only are they a little bit in opposition to each other, but "Doesn't Hurry" is rather vague.

You've taken two Psych Lims ("Mysterious and Enigmatic" and "Always Calm and Collected") which, in some ways, duplicate each other. Most GMs would probably remark that you've taken too many points of Psych Lims anyway, and many might even say that neither of these is particularly Disadvantageous. What about taking something like "Feels disconnected from others" to reflect all that mystery and enigmaticosity?

In general, I think you should review your Disads with your GM, because (and I don't want to go into detail) I think he/she might find a lot of them objectionable in one way or another. It seems to me that you could draw on his background a little more for some Psych Lims to replace a couple "standard" ones you have now (especially the one that's marked as not recommended for PCs; you might want to delete that sentence before handing it to your GM...).

Otherwise, seems like a solid concept to me, although you're right: HTH, this guy is taking it on the chin. :P

Originally posted by devlin1

SNIP

3d6 RKA for the Sharp Arrow seems awfully strong. A lot of powerful handguns don't even do that much. 2d6 seems more appropriate, to me.

SNIP

me too.

I disagree. I haven't seen ballistics on broadheads, but I'd bet the hole they rip through a target is a nasty one. A super broad head, designed to maulmaimcripplekill, could certainly be nastier. Springloaded stilletto heads (I don't know the proper name, someone will no doubt correct me) that expand post-impact already exist. Super archer guy could just improve on that design.

Originally posted by devlin1

I gotta weigh in on this one. If we're going to hold bow damage down based on firearms, we should also be looking at the electrical damage from lightning bolts and power transformers and the fire damage from burning buildings and bonfires to limit energy projectors with those energy types.

It's interesting that a sharp arrow causes concern, but arrows holding enough smoke to fill a dome 14 meters (over 42 feet) in diameter, or a net big enough to enwrap an adult man, attract no similar concern. And let's face it - the old classic Boxing Glove Arrow wasn't aerodynamic, but it was fun!

Re: Opinions on an Archer character

First, the caveat: this is what would work in my campaign. Others may have differing experiences.

You are going to be extremely vulnerable to PRE attacks. Not only could this be problematic in combat, but it won't be very consistent with a character whpo's "always cool and collected" to be so readily awestruck by impressive opponents.

Total defenses of 12 (6 resistant) and a DCV of 7 (4 if you want to use your +8 levels or Rapid Attack; what happens if it's halved twice?) is likely not conducive to long-term survival. You may be planning on sniping from a distance for protection. That may work, at least to sme effect, but 15" swinging won't let you escape an attacker who does locate you very effectively, and a 4 SPD means opponents will likely get more phases to catch up than you get to escape. Finally, any hit of 27+ STUN (pretty common - an average 8d6 attack is 28) will Stun you.

I echo others that NRM on the bow seems excessive. PSL's would seem more appropriate. However, there is a point where NRM makes more sense, and should simply be limited to some reasonable (for supers) distance based on SFX. The same points would buy a LOT of PSL's, ater all.

Your damage classes are a bit light, but your Find Weakness and Rapid Attack will offset that to some extent. As a caution, the combination (especially with a KA) will make the character likely to seriously injure opponents. How big an issue this is will depend on the tone of the campaign - he's not a good character to add in to a "Superman/Boy Scouts" team.

I'm not certain whether Rapid Attack can be used to combine two multipower slot attacks (it implies using the pool for two things at once). I'd likely handwave this given the common sense aspect, and the fact that the charges mitigate this being abused, but you may want to discuss that issue with your GM.

I suspect running out of charges will be a pretty common event given the numbers taken. You have only 12 direct damage arrows, although you can get 8 back at the end of combat. To some extent, your low speed may mitigate this issue. However, Rapid Attack will exacerbate it if you plan to use it commonly.

You also only have 14 arrows that are practical for use if you don't have the OAF Bow, as the others are AE.

I have to agree that losing 1 DEX and taking NCM would seem appropriate, based on the character's stats.

Generally, Restrainable and Focus are not taken together. Restrainable is, in my view, intended for focus effect which cannot be taken away (such as natural wings). Others may interoret this differently.

My supers campaign doesn't use Hit Locations for enhanced damage, so your skill levels (which probably should be PSL's, as someone has noted) would be of minimal use from that perspective.

Someone else has noted disadvantages. These are always even more campaign specific. Several of yours even seem contradictory.

For example, Enraged and Always Calm and Collected are inconsistent. Given your defensive weaknesses, Enraged could also be a death sentence for the character, especially since someone harming an innocent likely won't pull his punches against a guy firing KA's at him.

Someone else has noted the Secret ID and Public ID for VIPER do not match.

Including the Mercenaries Code of Conduct (Codes such as this are generally Psych Lim's, perhaps yours is intended to be something he follows for external reasons, rather than personal belief), you have 100 points of PSych Lim's. I would also expect a much better definition of what each of these mean to your character (not just "pulled from the books" descriptions, but how your character's perspective impacts these). Again, that's my campaign, and your GM may differ.

NCM is not recommended for superhero campaigns so I would ignore that suggestion.

There is nothing wrong with the 3d6 RKA arrow if it is partially defined as the archer's skill or special makeup of the arrow. You might make a note that it is far less effective in the hands of a less skilled archer.

Originally posted by Agent X

NCM is not recommended for superhero campaigns so I would ignore that suggestion.

Not recommended, sure, but if he has only one stat above the NCM and he's essentially a gadget-wielding, street-level crimefighter, it does arguably make sense, which is why I suggested it.

There is nothing wrong with the 3d6 RKA arrow if it is partially defined as the archer's skill or special makeup of the arrow. You might make a note that it is far less effective in the hands of a less skilled archer.

I'm big on justification. If a 3d6 RKA can be justified, I'm all for it-- and the justifications suggested work for me (spring-loaded arrowhead, well-aimed shots, etc.). But it did push my eyebrows up, and it might do the same to his GM.

Originally posted by Lightray

I'd recommend taking some PSLs vs. range modifiers, otherwise he'll end up using all his CSLs to counteract the range penalties.

As writen, he will have no range modifiers on the bow. It cost him 11 points (45 AP x 1/2 advantage /2 for OAF bow). PSL's against range modifiers for the ultipower would be 3 points each, I believe, as they have a limitation. He can buy 8 for 12 points (24/2) , so +12 to offset range = NRM to 256". That's half a kilometer - can he even SEE to target that far?

5 x 45 points = 225" range anyway, isn't it? PSL's or NRM would cost more or less the same thing.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

As writen, he will have no range modifiers on the bow. It cost him 11 points (45 AP x 1/2 advantage /2 for OAF bow). PSL's against range modifiers for the ultipower would be 3 points each, I believe, as they have a limitation. He can buy 8 for 12 points (24/2) , so +12 to offset range = NRM to 256". That's half a kilometer - can he even SEE to target that far?

5 x 45 points = 225" range anyway, isn't it? PSL's or NRM would cost more or less the same thing.

Actually, I think as written it costs him 22 points.

I think it depends on the game/GM. If he's only ever going to be using that bow, fine. If he might be in a situation where he needs to use a normal bow or a rival's bow, this won't help him - that's when levels w/bows to offset range penalties would work better. Overall, I think he could probably do better for less with the levels, unless he somehow needed to do the "shot from orbit" or somesuch.

In general, I don't like naked advantages on multipowers because you're getting that advantage on every slot without paying for it on the slots.

In this case, it's actually very inefficient. The no range saves only 4 pts on the base multipower, and you're paying 11 pts to buy that limitation off.

What I would do is to get rid of that naked advantage, and simply not take the no range limitation on the base multipower. It would cost you 22 pts for the reserve instead of 18, and none of slots would increase in cost. I would spend 12 pts for +8 PSLs OAF to get the same effective result as NRM. So you would save 6 pts and have exactly the same thing as you have now.

If you want to use the attacks in HTH, I would say to go with special effects. The Darkness, Net, and Flare arrows would still work, but I can't possibly see how punching someone with the blunt arrow will do 9d6 damage or stabbing them with the sharp arrow will do 3d6 RKA damage. At best, I'd give the sharp arrow dagger damage, and the blunt arrow maybe +1d6 extra in normal damage. It's the power of a compound bow that gives these arrowheads their fearsome damage.

I'd missed the "NRM" = no range modifier. In my campaign, I'd probably recommend PSLs instead, only as a personal preference.

But I think Gary's brought up a good point -- especially since both the Multipower and Naked Advantage are OAF. Why would I swipe your bow when I can just take your ammo?

And I believe the more correct construction would not be to purchase Ranged as a naked advantage, but to buy off the No Range limitation. Under a separate OAF. For a net savings of exactly zero (by back-of-envelope math).

One thing I've done on characters with multiple foci is to make staggered levels of accessibility for the foci. I've a character with two guns -- one of which is OIF (if one's taken, she uses the other), the other is an OAF naked advantage Autofire (if she's got both, she fires with both).

You might consider making the arrows OIF (more difficult to disarm since he's got a lot of 'em), and the bow OAF.

Re: Opinions on an Archer character

Originally posted by Shikarr

Hi Guys here is an idea I have come up with for a character in a game. Take a peek and tell me what your alls opinions might be.

Black Arrow

Well, first off, I think the character concept is pretty solid. Not too "Batmanny" and not too "Hawkeye/Green Arrowish", at least in my opinion. I would question the wealth, but maybe he got some endorsements from his Olympic celebrity. I do like how you stuck to the concept by not giving him much in the way of defenses or hand to hand abilities......he sticks to the bow and that's it. I might boost his INT just a bit, you don't find too many 'average intellegence' people in private investigations. I guess my only "gripe" with this character, if he were presented to me as a GM, would be with the disads. Were the ones such as "Mysterious and Enigmatic" and "Doesn't Hurry" in the book somewhere? If you have a secret i.d. you are, by nature 'mysterious and enigmatic', in my opinion. I thiink, of all the disads you had, I would only allow your Mercenaries Code (if it was layed out beforehand) and Secret identity. I just can't see the other ones being very "limiting', but that's just my two pennies. Again, not bashing the character...I think the concept is strong but I've ran/played in too many games where some of the players were always trying to cheat the system in one way or another so I guess I'm a little 'harsh' when it comes to disads.

Game Mechanics:

Characteristics: In the games I play your stats are very low, HOWEVER, it depends on your games. From a Power gamers perspective, you could loose two levels and your lightning reflexes, boost your dex to 28 (what you have in LR +Dex) and save three points with no lost of abilities (and couincidently raising your agility skills +1). This will also raise your DCV, this will help ALOT, considering your low defenses otherwise.

Assuming his quiver is attached it should probably be OIF, and no range is probably wrong, it should probably be "Range based on Str", this assumes he can toss them.

I STORNGLY advise changing your Flare Arrow to explosive

Sharp Arrows should probably be recoverable as well

I don't like Naked advantages, and question the need for NRM, see above about.

Furthermore, technicaly you can not buy off No range with Range, you need to use the LBO effect (If you need more detail, ask)

Swinging should not have restrainable on it, or you need to clarify

Find Weakness does not require the ranged advantage,

Perks: 10 points of wealth on a PI seems excesive (any wealth really does, but 5 would not stretch it to far IMO)

Skills look good, except use Penalty skill levels instead

I would buy the FH talents as powers, for those who do not have the book, and ease of refrense. I would also double check with the GM on them, as some might have no use in a Champions games (It's a genre thing that archers never hit there buds)

Disads: TO many Psyc lims, Codes are Psyc lims, Psyc lims are contradictory. Add some hunteds and DNPC's would be my advice

It's funny, I have been working on an archer as well, check it out:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13579&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

Actually, I think as written it costs him 22 points.

11 for Range, 11 for NRM

And I would probably let him use another bow for Range, but not for NRM. I agree with you that PSL's are a better fit. If the bow enhances them, put a couple more PSL's in the bow itself.

I'd missed the "NRM" = no range modifier. In my campaign, I'd probably recommend PSLs instead, only as a personal preference.

But I think Gary's brought up a good point -- especially since both the Multipower and Naked Advantage are OAF. Why would I swipe your bow when I can just take your ammo?

And I believe the more correct construction would not be to purchase Ranged as a naked advantage, but to buy off the No Range limitation. Under a separate OAF. For a net savings of exactly zero (by back-of-envelope math).

One thing I've done on characters with multiple foci is to make staggered levels of accessibility for the foci. I've a character with two guns -- one of which is OIF (if one's taken, she uses the other), the other is an OAF naked advantage Autofire (if she's got both, she fires with both).

You might consider making the arrows OIF (more difficult to disarm since he's got a lot of 'em), and the bow OAF.

This is essentialy what i did with the bowman, The OAF Bow only shows up on a few of his slots, but asa F/X lim his other slots have: Range based on Str W/O Bow as a -0 lim)

First RewriteBlack ArrowPlayer:

Val Char Cost
18 STR 8
21 DEX 33
14 CON 8
11 BODY 2
13 INT 3
13 EGO 6
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
6/12 PD 2
6/12 ED 3
4 SPD 9
9 REC 4
30 END 1
30 STUN 3
9" RUN64" SWIM25 1/2" LEAP2Characteristics Cost: 92
Cost Power END
11 Stabalized Compound Bow: Naked Modifier, Ranged (+1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (Bow; -1) 2
22 Arrows: MP, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
1u 1) Dark Arrow: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius (40 Active Points); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
1u 2) Net Arrow: Entangle 4d6, 5 DEF (45 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
1u 3) Flare Arrow: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Explosion (+1/2) (45 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
2u 4) Blunt Arrows: EB 9d6 (vs. PD), 8 Recoverable Charges (+0) (45 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
1u 5) Sharp Arrow: RKA 2d6 (vs. PD), 8 Recoverable Charges (+0) (30 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
1u 6) Mono Memory Springwire Arrow: RKA 3d6 (vs. PD) (45 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
17 Swinging 20", x4 Noncombat (25 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) 2
14 Bullet Proof Undies: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
35 See the week spot: Find Weakness 14- with Related Group of Attacks
Powers Cost: 106
Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Climbing 13-
15 +3 with Ranged Combat
16 Penalty Skill Levels: +8 vs. Hit Location modifiers with a tight group of attacks
12 Penalty Skill Levels: +6 vs. Range Modifier with a tight group of attacks
3 Concealment 12-
10 Defense Maneuver I-IV
3 Fast Draw 13-
3 Inventor 12-
2 KS: Archery 11-
2 PS: Bower and Fletcher 11-
2 PS 11-
3 SS: Ballistics (INT-based) 12-
3 SS: Kinetics (INT-based) 12-
3 Lipreading 12-
5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 11-
3 Tactics 12-
3 Tracking 12-
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
5 Weaponsmith (Chemical Weapons, Incendiary Weapons, Muscle-Powered Ranged, Other) 12-
Skills Cost: 115
Cost Perk
5 Money: Well Off
4 Computer Link
2 Fringe Benefit: Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate)
2 Fringe Benefit: Private Investigator License
1 Fringe Benefit: Passport
1 Fringe Benefit: License to practice a profession
Perks Cost: 15
Cost Talent
3 Absolute Range Sense
8 Combat Archery
4 Rapid Archery
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 21
Val Disadvantages
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: Genesis 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
20 DNPC: Great Aunt Hazel 8- (Incompetent; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
5 Enraged: if Innocent Harmed (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-
20 Psychological Limitation: Always Calm and Collected (Common, Total) [Notes: Common, Total: 20 PointsA character with this Psych Limit always has himself together, never panics, and never gets overly emotional, even when its appropriate to do so. While this can, in some instances, be a good thing (keeping his head in stressful situations, for instance), most of the time other characters find him to be distant, unfeeling, and cold.Of course, the character isn't really Emotionless, but rather is so used to keeping himself composed that expressing any strong emotion (hate, Grief, love, lust, fear, etc.) is difficult for the character, and when he does do so, he tends to sound like he's reading memorized lines from a script rather than saying how he feels.At Common, Total the character can only force himself to act otherwise in times of great extingency.]
15 Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Mysterious and Enigmatic (Common, Strong) [Notes: Common, Total: 20 PointsA character who is Mysterious and Enigmatic believes that the less anyone knows about him the better. He may work well with others. He may even be a staunch member of an established team. Regardless, the character never reveals anything he doesn't have to.Thus, the character's identity, information sources, and abilities will be kept secret - and the character will go to great lengths to keep it that way. Characters with this Psych Limit tend to show up out of nowhere with crucial information and no explanations, and just as quickly vanish into the shadow.A character with this Psych Limit at Common, Strong can open up to others if it is absolutely necessary and if an Ego roll is made. ]
15 Social Limitation: Mercenaries Code of Conduct (Frequently, Severe, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
20 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 349

Height: 1.81 m Hair: Blond
Weight: 81.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Arrow is dressed in cammies normally with the pattern changed to fit the landscape. Whether woodland, desert, or urban whichever is appropriate is what he shall have on. He wears a simple usually black bandana over his mouth and nose. His specially stabalized compound bow is also usually painted camo also and he wears his is a rectangular affair on his back.Personality: Jason is motivated by his desire to ensure those who whould be punished are. Whether this involves making sure they are arrested and turned over to the police or killed outright, he only judges those that have already been judged. Recently however he has came accross some crime that has not been addressed by the courts and started delving into rectifing the situation. He is still unsure in these cases, but if a verdict has been turned in he is resolute.Quote:Let's play pin the tale on the donkey and you be the donkeyBackground: Jason James grew up in a broken home with an abusive father. The family was always on the run with his father a wanted criminal. Jason's life changed when his father was finally aprehended by a bounty hunter. To Jason it was the most freeing time of his life for his family. He fell in love with the idea of helping others in the same way but really didn't pursue it although the idea was in the back of his mind. All this happened when he was 12. When he turned 14 and went to high school he found out about archery and found he had a gift in shooting. He pursued this and even managed to get on the olmpic team for the 1992 Olympics. He won a gold medal. His life was going well until 2 yrs later in 1994 when his mother was killed in a corner store robbery by a criminal who had jumped bail. The old pain of his childhood arose as to did his desire to stop these people. He knew he could make a difference. He would hunt those low lifes down and stop them. He devoted his life to it now and hunts those that the law cannot seem to catch. During the course of his hunting he has came accross evil that the law will not even try to stop and has also started in on it also.Powers/Tactics: Jason is a long range combatant and knows it. He will not approach an opponent hand to hand at all if it can be avoided.Campaign Use: 

I still don't like this "range/no range" thing. The Multipower would cost 42 points if you didn't have "no range" (30 + 2 per slot). It costs 29 now, so No Range is saving 13 points. It's costing you 11 (in your model) to get it back, so this has a net savings of 2 points.

This also provides the inconsistency that, technicaly, your bow can fire a baseball bat or a greatsword.

The multipower would cost 25 if we took out No Range and added in OAF, or 29 (no change) if we also removed the OIF Arrows and called it "OAF Bow and Arrows". I'd be inclined to handwave your ability to drop or toss a Dark or Flare arrow, and maybe a net arrow, if the bow wasn't available, based on that construction.

With 15 DEF and 7 DCV, you're still a soft target in my campaign. 4 SPD and 20" swinging is unlikely to get you out of harm's way very quickly. Your campaign norms may well vary. Similar with the speed with which you will likely run out of charges, though the sixth slot will help you out considerably.

You also remain vulnerable to PRE attacks. It takes an average 7d6 to get +10, 9.5d6 to get +20 and 12.5d6 to get +30 on your Ego (as it is higher than your PRE).

Of course, in my campaign you'd probably ditch the Hit Location PSL's since I don't use hit locations in Supers campaigns, so that would free up some points to address your PRE and/or defenses. I wouldn't make you pay for Money either, as I consider it background in Supers.

I'd probably still challenge some of the disad's, based on prior comments, but those will depend on your GM, not on hard and fast rules calls. Oh, and you shoud fix "Enigmatic" - it shows as 15 points, but the notes set it at 20.

Maybe a Variable Limitation that's either OAF (ranged using the bow), or OIF + No Range (not ranged using only the arrows). That might be a simpler construction.

Actually, this sounds like the perfect case for the multiple focii limitation from page 190. OIF , -1/2, plus the multiple foci lim: loses a portion of power (range based on STR) without second focus, +1/4, which gives a total limitation of -1/4. It's more expensive that way, but it's still a range based limitation, and it's clean.

BTW, I love seeing more archer characters! It gives me some great ideas for an archer type I'm working on.

Originally posted by Crisis

Actually, this sounds like the perfect case for the multiple focii limitation from page 190. OIF , -1/2, plus the multiple foci lim: loses a portion of power (range based on STR) without second focus, +1/4, which gives a total limitation of -1/4. It's more expensive that way, but it's still a range based limitation, and it's clean.

BTW, I love seeing more archer characters! It gives me some great ideas for an archer type I'm working on.

Yes we will need to do an archery contest...after you post I might present the stats for four or five archers (Yours, mine, his, refrence the Rainbow Archer and Warpath) to see which one people like better