Captain Mar-Vell's Nega-Bands

Bengal

If you have to 'cut him out of them' to remove the bands, then they're not a focus at all. Look at the 4th paragraph under Accessibility on page 188 of FREd.

If you have to fiddle with trhe bands to make them do something, then I'd say that the power you're using at the time is Restrainable, but that's it.

Re: Captain Mar-Vell's Nega-Bands

Originally posted by Bengal

They've got plenty of powers. But what I really want to know is: what sort of Focus would they be?

I'm thinking Independent (-2), plus Restrainable (-1/4) due to the fact that you'd need to cut him out of them. Dig?

Since I don't recall every seeing him parted from them, I don't think they would be a limitation at all. They're more of a special effect.

its only really part of rick jones multiform so you could put restrainable on that.

the future version of rick jones you see during destiny wars or what ever it was who had only one arm and kept the other nega band strapped to his waist would have an OAF but without the independant limitation.

I can't think of any powers beyond the multiform instant change attached to the bands.

Originally posted by freakboy6117

I can't think of any powers beyond the multiform instant change attached to the bands.

Flight? Force Field? Energy Blast? Transformation? Possibly some Life Support, I recall Rick and Mar-Vel flying through space with no suits when they had one band each.

First, not all of Mar-Vell's powers came from the Nega Bands. Certain abilities came from his status as Protector of the Universe (cosmic awareness being one)

I'd build them as a OIF focus.

Mar-Vell wore the Nega-bands, which possessed the ability to convert psionic energy into strength, invulnerability, and the ability to fly and to survive unaided in the rigors of space. Soon after, Mar-Vell was trapped in the dimension called the Negative Zone, and was only able to escape by switching places with Earth human Rick Jones, whom he shared a physical and mental rapport with.

When Rick Jones and Mar-Vell underwent a radiation treatment to reinforce this rapport, Mar-Vell's genetic structure was altered so that he could absorb solar energy and convert it to other uses, such as extreme superhuman strength and the ability to fire energy blasts.

Ah, skip it, it's Restrainable (-1/4) and that's that. There were certainly powers associated with the bands (and not inheent in Cap himself), which makes them sort of like a Focus, but they sould only be removed by special means- which means they should count as Restrainable (-1/4).

Dude is not gonna be happy when he has to cut out about 150 points from his character to fit under the point cap! But you have sure helped me think this one through appropriately.

Originally, I had the Independent lim on them since they were an object of great power created by a cosmic being, imbued with his essence (character points), and useabe universally. Also, there were quite a few times people tried to kill Marv in order to get the bands- which indicates they'd function after his death, too. Seems Independent.

But you're right- no one actually ever succeeded in getting the bands- something Quazar can't say for himself, but that's another matter for another thread.

macoy yes there are lots of powers that are supposedly drawn from the bands but the instant transform is the only power which requires you to use the bands in any way. The rest are things you can do whilst wearing them they could just as easily be intrinsic.

Except that neither Mar-Vell nor Rick could do them before they got the bands.

Interesting thing about Mar-Vell: He's got four sources of powers.

Kree Martial Training

Nega Bands

the Mantle of the Protector of the Universe

Genetic/Solar Enhancement

I think there are a lot of GMs on this board that would look at a character like this and refuse the player to run the character. More's the pity.

Might wanna make that "Kree Physiology/Martial Training." Kree do have low end superhuman stats, after all ( at least highly trained Kree, anyway ).

And it might be something a DM would refuse off the bat, but it would *also* be an example of a very long-running campaign with alot of accumulated xp and character development.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

Might wanna make that "Kree Physiology/Martial Training." Kree do have low end superhuman stats, after all ( at least highly trained Kree, anyway ).

And it might be something a DM would refuse off the bat, but it would *also* be an example of a very long-running campaign with alot of accumulated xp and character development.

This isn't addressed to you - but for those who would have a problem with a character like that - Where is there a rule against having a complicated background at the beginning of playing a character?

Well, there is the issue of using a complicated background to justify weird and twinky power constructs or uber-combatant characters. However, I'd see this as not being so much an issue with point-based superhero RPGs ( as opposed to the things players use this same trick to justify in D&D. . . ).

However, Captain Mar-Vell would hardly be an offender. Aside from his Cosmic Awareness, most of his powers are pretty standard stuff. He just gained them in multiple steps from different sources.

Kree Physiology/Training: Low levels of physical superattributes ( probably not even beyond the Legendary range ), skills.

Negabands: More superstrength and durability, flight, FTL flight, life support

Merging with Rick: Multiform, related issues

Genetic/Solar Alteration: Energy Blasts, more superstrength, maybe absorbtion

Protector of the Universe: Cosmic Awareness, in all its elements

maybe im reading this wrong but nega bands can't be removed or damaged without damaging the wearer so in game terms they might as well be non existant they contain powers but unless you lop off rick jones hands that doesn't matter

they only have two effects on game play

1 if you keep ricks arms apart he can't switch places with marvell ie restrainable

2 rick gains distinctive feature: big ugly gold jewellry

out of curosity can rick use any of those nega band powers other than the life support?

I think you could give all the nega band powers the independant limitation because they belong to the band and if removed somehow you lose them but only if the power was granted to the new wearer.

maybe im reading this wrong but nega bands can't be removed or damaged without damaging the wearer so in game terms they might as well be non existant they contain powers but unless you lop off rick jones hands that doesn't matter

Haven't kept up with the current incarnation, but during the 70's Mar-Vell (and Rick) could remove the bands.

out of curosity can rick use any of those nega band powers other than the life support?

Again, under Englehart Rick used the bands to transform his costume, fly, gain limited super strength, energy blast, and damage resistance. None of these as powerful as Mar-Vell, and to get to the peak of Mar-Vell's abilities they had to merge.

[edit] An estimate, I would say that if the merged Captain Marvel had 100% of the power, when they had one band Mar-Vell had about two-thirds of the power, and Rick about one-third. Also pushing when they had one band caused the other to have side effects.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

Might wanna make that "Kree Physiology/Martial Training."

Speaking of Kree Physiology, what does anyone think of the Kree inability to breath Earth's atmosphere? Kree newly arrived on Earth need some form of Life Support, a suit or chemical supplement, to survive on Earth, but if they are on Earth long enough they apparently adapt to Earth's atmosphere. Yet humans arriving on Kree-Lar, Hala, or the Bulu Area of Earth's Moon, where Kree live and breath normally, have never been shown to experience any distress.

The one time it came up in a game I said that the normal atmosphere for a Kree had higher air pressure and proportionately more nitrogen. The extra nitrogen that humans didn't need didn't affect them, but it took time for a Kree to adapt to less nitrogen, like it takes a couple of months for a human raised at sea level to adapt to living in the mountains, only more extreme.

Close enough for comic book biology, or does anyone have a better explanation?