The Justice Machine

Just A Guy Name

from the powers from drugs/serums/Chemicals thread..

Originally posted by CrisisBut if you want really obscure, Demon from the Justice Machine was a drug addict who claimed that the drugs gave him enhanced speed and skill, though the actual effect was never truly determined because the withdrawal symptoms were really bad.

Light Bulb! Heh, not obscure enough, Crisis. I remember the JM fondly, although I haven't thought about them in years. Demon was my favorite member from that comic. Does anyone know if there are Hero conversions for any of them?

I could talk about the JM for hours. They're a real childhood favorite. :)

As far as converting them to Hero, they're all quite easy...except for Talisman. His luck powers are so outrageous that to truly mimic them as they are in the books would cost hundreds and hundreds of points. Possibly thousands. (Well, maybe not, but that's debatable, too.) It may be a bit tricky to capture all of Challenger's gadgets, too, but doable.

Sad fact about the JM: I recently went searching for said Palladium book, when I found a faq from Palladium. Paraphrasing:

Q: Will you ever update the JM supplement?

A: We would love to, but we no longer own the rights. And, unfortunately the proprty has changed hands so many times we can't find anyone who currently owns it.

It seems, sadly, that the JM has been banished to legal limbo forever. :(

I bought both Justice Machine and Elementals at one of my first Comic Cons, in Anaheim. I had never heard of either and liked the look. I recognized Willingham from some gaming art. I instantly loved both.

(...though it did irritate me that my first superhero character, Exile (superhero 2044) had a ball-and-chain attack not unlike Malefactor, the villain in the JM issue. But I learned that no matter how creative you are, someone has already thought of it first!)

SuperPheemy, you are right sir! Elementals was owned and created by Bill Willingham, but since he's now gone more mainstream, working fr DC's Vertigo title Fables, they likely won't see light of day again for some time.

I understood that, during the early '90s, after years of legal crap... Willingham actually LOST the rights to the Elementals... that COMICO owned them.

And COMICO went out of business a long time ago.

Too bad. Willingham may be the ultimate "angry white male"... but he writes a darn good supers story. I really wish his Lone Star imprint would release the final issue of Pantheon. That was a solid superhero maxi-series as well, by old Bill. Now he is doing Robin for DC, and it's pretty lame. He does well with adult concepts, and Robin is just not the place to showcase those. So far he doesn't seem to have a real feel for Tim Drake, who is one of the greatest characters DC has created (thanks to Chuck Dixon).

I was just re-reading some of my old Justice Machine comics. I have almost all the Comico run... the original Annual where the Elementals first appeared, and some various appearances by other companies. Those comics were key to our original Champions campaigns back in High School. Ahhh, the early '80s.

I hate being old... :(

The tale is that he sold the rights to the Elementals for a ridculously low sum and then gave Comico a 2" think binder filled with notes on how to complete the story. After it languished for a year or so, he dropped by to see how Comico was doing. The binder was being used to prop up an uneven desk....Bill said that it's probably the best possible use for that Binder however. ;)

I just finished my reread of the full run, man that's good stuff. I somehow feel vindicated in wasting 3 weeks of my life to make clix out of the Elementals, the Destroyers and the Rapture.

IT always amazes me to find out how many people like the groups I thought were so obscure. :)

I have a copy of the Palladium Justice Machine, but I don't think it would be much use for converting to Champions. Talisman, for example, is not well represented. You'd almost have to do him with a VPP to simulate the weird effects his Karma can bring.

All in all though, it shouldn't be too hard to set the JM up as Champions characters.

Originally posted by proditor

I just finished my reread of the full run, man that's good stuff. I somehow feel vindicated in wasting 3 weeks of my life to make clix out of the Elementals, the Destroyers and the Rapture.

Hey, nice work! Almost makes me wish I did the Heroclix thing. Have you used them in a game yet?

I’ve decided to take up the challenge of finding the current owners of the Justice Machine! I’m currently going for my masters degree in library and information science, and research is of course a big focus. It will be a good pet project for me, and the prof. has already given me a few good ideas. Anybody wanna add some?

Cobalt Blue

OK, since evidently several of you love the JM as much as I do, what did any of you think about Cobalt Blue? He was that guy on the flipside of the old Noble-era Justice Machine publication. I always got a kick out of the fact that he was fighting the Mechanoids from Kevin Siembieda's old RPG. The initial art was the same as the old RPG illos and everything with credit in the issue to Kevin as well. Sadly, he never seemed to be published long enough to have a story go past the inital set-up.

Originally posted by Crisis

Hey, nice work! Almost makes me wish I did the Heroclix thing. Have you used them in a game yet?

Not yet. I still have to finish dials for the Destroyers. They are all printed out but I got lazy and didn't finish sticking them on. I was hoping to try out the Elementals soonish to see how they work. If anyone wants the dial stats I came up with, they are on HCRealms or in a convienent e-mailable Text file. I also have stats for Saker, Captain Cadaver and Sanction.

On to the Justice Machine who started this though...I remember the Palladium stats for Talisman and thinking "So basically I just let the guy playing him ask me to do something and decide if it works?" I also remember that artist's site posted above. He did something similar with the Elementals. For most of them you could probably get away with making them 350-400 point characters (IIRC?) The only real hard ones are Talisman and possibly Blazer. Diviner could cause a few conniptions, but not enough to warrant freaking out over. Challenger, Demon and Titan are pretty straight forward.

Ya know, I think I just realized that Justice Machine, Elementals, Tim Truman's Scout, Paul Gulacy's Sabre, and a few other offbeat titles are what caused me to stopy buying most of the mainstream titles. It was more fun looking for the oddball stuff from independant companies.

Originally posted by Blue

Ya know, I think I just realized that Justice Machine, Elementals, Tim Truman's Scout, Paul Gulacy's Sabre, and a few other offbeat titles are what caused me to stopy buying most of the mainstream titles. It was more fun looking for the oddball stuff from independant companies.

You forgot First... and comics like Jon Sable: Freelance... Whisper... Dynamo Joe. I loved all that stuff... but at the same time was still buying the Miller Daredevil, Byrne FF, etc. I didn't lose interest in Marvel until the late '80s early '90s.