Starship size comparison

Solomon

Caveat: there's a subset of Star Trek fandom that is really interested in starships. (I'm a part of this; I've written five or six books on the subject.) There's a subset of that set that's intensely interested in starship dimensions. I'm not a part of the latter group, but I know a few people who are. By their methods (not ones I necessarily agree with), I have been told that a good many of the dimensions on the site you're referencing are wrong.

Mind you, I'm not saying that they're wrong -- just that some people claim they are. ;)

as another serious starship gearhead. although being a heretic in that I never thought most of the trek ships didnt even resemble a proper starship.... most of my tinkering and comparisons have been by using volume... usually displacement tons... I have done a hull conversion chart for converting traveller tonnage to hero, and could ramp one up for space opera just as easily.

the size comparison site is nice, but gives no real indication of a baseline size in most cases.

we know that the Babylon 5 station was something like a mile long and 2.5 million tons, but was that metric tons or displacement tons of volume?

I use the figure of a displacement ton being 13.5 cubic meters

At least they have the giant battle ship from Mutineer's Moon and Outlanders in the background.:D I think even that would look like a little dot next to Taa II.

Anybody have any ships lying around larger than Skylark of Valeron but smaller than the Ringworld? It's a huge gap in the range of scales, from 10,000 meters per pixel for the Skylark to 1,000,000,000 meters per pixel for the Ringworld. If somebody could suggest ships for larger scales maybe the author could expand the site up to Taa II size.

Originally posted by L. Marcus

I reeeally don't wanna know what happened to Taa I . . . ;)

Taa was Galactus's homeworld back when he was the mortal, Galen. It was destroyed -- along with the rest of the previous universe -- in the Big Crunch.

This is of course, assuming it hasn't been retconned into something entirely different.

Keith "I felt you had to know" Curtis

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by SleepyDrug

Ships I didn't see that would have been nice:

Moya (from Farscape)

Honor Harrington universe ships

Veritech figthers (Robotech)

MC-80 cruisers (the Mon Cal ships from Star Wars)

Battletech mechs or ships

it DOES have Mech size comparison. But wtf do yuo want to palay around wiht giant robots and bugs for!?!?!?11@~