THE ULTIMATE BRICK -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: THE ULTIMATE BRICK -- What Do *You* Want To See?

I've gone back to look for this rule' date=' and I can't find it for the life of me. Was I making this up? Anyone? :confused:[/quote']

I have found that rule in the Ultimate Martial Artist, p.152. Look at the last paragragh of "Throwing Distance".

I don't think there is any reference to this in FREd.

There's more to it than that. It's about friction and work. Say you want to pull a one-ton object. It takes more STR to pull or push it along the ground than it would if it was on wheels (wheels reduce friction). It takes more STR to pull it on small casters (like your couch or office chair) than it would on big wheels (like a wheelchair - bigger wheels have more leverage in getting over small bumps). It takes more STR to pull it over soft grass or sand than it would to pull it over a hard' date=' smoothly paved road (fewer bumps to go over and less ground compression friction). It takes more STR to pull it up a hill than it does to pull it along a level surface (but less than it would to pull it straight up). This may seem like a lot of work and excess detail, but it's really quite simple. Don't be afraid of the word "physics" - it isn't rocket science. You don't have to delve into intra-nuclear forces or relativity. This is simple mechanics - wheels, levers, inclined planes. Ancient civilizations used them millenia before Newton.[/quote'] Sorry I missed this originally, Phil... :doi:

I originally was going for a simple solution. None of what you say here is wrong, of course, and most of it can -- and, IMO, should -- be covered in TUB. I actually thought about looking into some of these things for TUV, but (a) the emphasis in the book was on motorized vehicles, and (B) when I got into doing the final version, there was more to be done at my end in the way of cutting than adding.

For heroic 'bricks':

More steps on the damage chart, like:

10 2D6

12 2D6+1

13 2.5D6

14 3D6-1

15 3D6

For damage absorption at a heroic level, perhaps regeneration, damage reduction or just high REC, BODY and EGO (only for wounding rolls ?).

Superheroically:

Perhaps a look at the specific tradeoffs of throwing automobiles. They're a typical choice and frequently available, so what area do they cover, what's the max damage you can apply with one, what's the OCV penalty.

I agree that throwing, leaping, and tearing through inanimate objects are frequently more limited by the game mechanics than they are in the source material; leaping options for non-combat multipliers and megascale work well, but throwing should be expanded (and relatively inexpensively, I think).

I'd like to see the rules for bringing down buildings expanded on; correspondingly, how big a piece can you tear off a building with your bare hands.

Hopefully it's not too late (seeing how close it is to having this handed over for layout/playtesting and all)...

It occurs to me that some discussion of the effect of gravity, air density, and other environmental effects can have on Strength. Things simply don't throw so well under water, for example, because the density slows down both the throwing arm and the object being thrown. Probably some bits from FREd and Star Hero can be brought in, with a little expansion.... :)

Guest Worldmaker

I dunno... how about something really neato like revising Grond so the Knockback on his punches is Megascaled.

It's just a little thing, it would only take a paragraph or two, but you could discuss strength games. I refer to such things as Arm Wrestling, Stick Pulls, tug'o'wars, Eskimo leg wrestling, etc. They're all basically STR vs. STR contests, but players might find their descriptions interesting.

I remember in the new Superman origin story done by John Byrne (it had Krypton in the title ... other than that, I'm drawing a blank) done in the late eighties there was a scene where Clark Kent had to go into the bathroom and turn on a razor and use his heat vision and a special mirror to shave because earthly razors wouldn't be able to cut his hair.

I believe this was him shaving with the eradicator, a Krytonion artifact used to keep Kyrpton racially pure, i think. Apparently he could burn himself with his hear vision and when his 6d6 RKA,Ap,NRM,x25range,0end 315pts no lim is his weakest power, makes you shudder.

• 1 year later...

This rule in fact exists. For each 1d6 of damage sacrificed' date=' a thrower can gain an additional inch of distance. With a running throw, a 50 Str brick could throw someone 42" (just over 250 feet), and not hurt them a bit. In the alternative, I guess they could just throw them straight up one quarter as high, and let gravity worry about the damage...[/quote']

I found it! Yes, 22 months later and it still bothered me, and I found it!

This little tidbit is listed under the description of Martial Throw, in the Fifth Edition book, in the Explanation of Martial Maneuvers sub-subsection of the Martial Arts subsectionof the section on Fighting in the chapter on Combat and Adventuring, on page 265. I don't know if it's is FREd, because I don't have FREd. I just have 5e. Kickin' it old school, and all that.

Perhaps in FREd the chapters get numbers?

(Thread necromancy? No, never heard of it. Why?)

This rule in fact exists. For each 1d6 of damage sacrificed, a thrower can gain an additional inch of distance. With a running throw, a 50 Str brick could throw someone 42" (just over 250 feet), and not hurt them a bit. In the alternative, I guess they could just throw them straight up one quarter as high, and let gravity worry about the damage...

I found it! Yes, 22 months later and it still bothered me, and I found it!

This little tidbit is listed under the description of Martial Throw, in the Fifth Edition book, in the Explanation of Martial Maneuvers sub-subsection of the Martial Arts subsectionof the section on Fighting in the chapter on Combat and Adventuring, on page 265. I don't know if it's is FREd, because I don't have FREd. I just have 5e. Kickin' it old school, and all that.

And in all that time, no one addressed this point...

The flaw with sacrificing damage done by throwing an object in order to throw it farther is that in order to throw something farther, you have to throw it faster, which means it hits harder and does more damage, to itself and/or to whatever it hits.

Such a rule, then, is entirely counterintuitive and counter to reality.

It's basic physics. KE=.5mv^2

Doc sez...

Aagh...a bad rule now being drudge up from the depths of obscurity...thanks BD (;) ). Let's hope that it returns back to the underworld of illogical pseudo-science from whence it came. Must rep Kristopher the next chacne I get for reminding us of its counter-logical mechanics.

Doc Tough

And in all that time, no one addressed this point...

It's basic physics. KE=.5mv^2

I agree, it's silly and counter to reality.

Then again, so is a guy who can lift 100 tons, especially without sinking to his thights into the ground when he does so. Be we're all okay with that aren't we?

As far as the throwing rule is concerned, I typically toss it out, or only use it for special ocasions, such as when there really isn't anything out there for the throwee to hit other than the ground (which he'll just roll around on for a while anyway). If a brick (or martial artist) wants to throw someone further, they can push their STR.

I agree, it's silly and counter to reality.

You just model it as a special effect - as the range increases, so does the thrown person's improbable luck.

example:

In a fit of rage, Stone hurls the hapless mook, one of the Lynchpin's underlings, down the block as far as he possibly can. (90 STR = 80 extra strength - 4 levels due to the mooks inherent aerodynamic instability, which means 48". Add 18" with this rule and heave the mook 66", or 429 feet. The mook soars through the air, a flailing, helpless creature, tumbling head over heels towards a moving van, waiving his arms like a large man trying to roll up the windows of a very small car.

Suddenly, the moving men start carrying a large overstuffed couch down the loading ramp on the back of the truck, toating the couch right into the path of the oncoming SAM (Surface to Air Mook.)

The mook's screams of panic and dismay are snuffed out in a sudden muffled thump and a quiet "oof." The moving men put the couch down, and help the mook to his feet. He straightens his collar, offers Stone a universally understood salutation, and considers why discretion might actually be the better part of valor as he runs off into the alleys of Champions City.