You never had a character with ____ Powers?

Hermit

I'm glancing through the UNTIL Superpowers Database again.

It's an impressive book chock full of ideas.

There are even some powers I've never made a character for, and that after years of super hero RPGs.

How could I have forgotten acid powers all these years? Oh, the shame of neglecting Dream powers for my own PCs. I keep meaning to.

Oh, I suppose if you count every NPC I ever used, I got those as well, but it was hardly memorable.

So, is there some archetype you never played? or power your PCs never had?

Was it deliberate?

or just a case of not having gotten around to it yet?

Re: You never had a character with ____ Powers?

Whew.. the list of archetypes I haven't played is pretty darn big (the same as for most rpers, I'd guess). Lesee.. I've stated my dislike for MC before, I won't even consider playing controllers; Tranformers are similarly repellant, to me. Ones I have avoided less deliberately: Shapeshifters (no special reason), and the subtype, Stretchers (never was interested enough to try).

I tend to play characters without powers, period- skilled or high-tech normals. When they do have powers, they're kind of marginal ones. I like the flawed heroes. Not for the angst quality, just to see how far I can push the system. If you've got Ulti-Man, then you are pretty sure you can handle most everything that comes at you. If you're playing Color Kid or Aquaman, you've got to tread much more lightly. Even an accomplished martial artist/detective isn't going to be able to blow holes in walls or bounce bullets off his chest, unless he figures out how to do it cleverly.

Time based powers, I 've never used.

I love temporal powers, but few GMs are insane enough to allow time travelers in their campaigns as a regular thing, and that is, typically, the 'main' power for the temporal types.

Guest WhammeWhamme

I love temporal powers' date=' but few GMs are insane enough to allow time travelers in their campaigns as a regular thing, and that is, typically, the 'main' power for the temporal types.[/quote']

"Time Stop" is a nice one though; Speedster with a twist.

Speedster would be an excellent archetype to use with Time Powers. Speeding himself up, or slowing others down. Even transferring "time energy" from the target to himself so as to do both at once. It's also a perfect justification for Lightning Calculator and Speed Reading Talents.

I am currently playing a size changer/martial artist who communicates with insects of all types and convinces them to help him out. The character is called The Bug.

The Bug wears a protective suit that gives him some protection vs damage, 360 degree vision and hearing as well as clinging. I found out this past Saturday that the protection was too little and got CON stunned after a single hit. That's ok, on the way home I remember that I had not acted yet and could have/should have aborted my next action to dive for cover.

Anyway, when I was coming up with ideas for my character I was looking through the USPD. I read the ANIMAL POWERS and decided on the type of character that I wanted to play. Nice Book.

SHinkers can be fun' date=' but most fall into two catagories: Small Blasters & Size changers (Have both Growth and shinking)[/quote']

I love shrinkers in the comics, but when it comes to making a "pure" (No growth option and no blasters) shrinker in the game, it does seem they get kind of shortchanged, ESPECIALLY if you use Active Point limits.

Though Shrinking Bricks can be fun I confess. :)

Aha! the pure shrinker! I played a "superhero" stuck at 6" tall for a while. No powers other than his miniature grappling hook and "perching" (a plot device power I used to he could sit atop another hero's shoulder during battle). He wasn't a superhero, he just wore a superhero costume and adventured with the team. Only a couple of occasions was he of any use, but I always had fun.

I've always wanted to play a super with Duplication. I never tried it because in Fourth Edition it was too expensive to be useful at a starting PC level of points. I do like the changes to the power in Fifth, and would really like to try playing a duplicating martial artist (with the teamwork skill and a permanant mindlink for coordinated attacks).

I also have a concept for a storm/lighning based character whose powers all hurt him as well as the opponent (named Lightning Rod).

Of course, I've only ever played Champions in a few one and two session failed campaigns, so all I've ever really used are bricks.

I ran a short lived game for awhile where one player's character was a duplicator. I don't remember the points, but we worked it out so that he had the original and four dupes. Each wore a belt where the buckle told the view which dupe was which. The original had an O as his belt buckle then dupe 1, 2, 3, and 4 had #1, #2, #3, & $4 as buckles.

He had us laughing our butts off when he stationed one of his dupes in the bushes outside of a hotel room on a stake out while the other four where on a nearby basketball court playing two on two. He roleplayed the basketball game. It was funny.

I've always wanted to play a super with Duplication.

I love temporal powers' date=' but few GMs are insane enough to allow time travelers in their campaigns as a regular thing, and that is, typically, the 'main' power for the temporal types.[/quote']

My wife plays a temporal-powered character .. her Main power was a Rewind up to 5 min backwards ... oh man did the GM hate that. He finally introduced an ingame way to limit her to once per day... She started to think up many other ways to manipulate time, and the GM is still frustrated at her uses of her powers... the second he thinks he's got us, bip - she pulls the rug out.

Her other character does Phase-State changes to matter (Gas-->Liquid-->Solid-->Plasma and back) .. it's gotta be one of the coolest idea's I've heard for a power.

I don't have the UNTIL book, so I do not know if this is in there or not. However... in my Champsverse, all manifestations of super-human powers are powered by an extra-dimentional force called the Zeta Field. The man who discovered it, Dr. Z, is able to directly tap the Zeta Field. This not only allows him a wide variety of attacks, but he can also shut down the powers of others regardless of their SFX: mutant, magic, psionic, etc. The one exception are powers that are "Cosmic" in nature. Still, I like the idea of a major bad-guy who can hurt you even before he turns your powers off...

im happily playing a time controlling monk ripped straight out of a pratchet book called lu-tze, anyway his main power goes 10 end; take another action (time slice for those that read the book)....our fights tend to be quite short these days. :)

So' date=' is there some archetype you never played? or power your PCs never had?[/quote']

I'm GM more often than not, so I don't get to be a player too often.

I've always wanted to play an interesting (but at the same time useful) underwater character. I've even drafted out my character concept a few times. But I've never had the chance to play her.

Actually, that's not completely true, because when I played Zodiac in V&V (character had the equivalent of 12 multiforms, each with powers of a particular sign of the zodiac), Picses had underwater powers.

I've never been (and I don't think any of my PCs have done) a gadgeteer.