City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Yeah, I liked the barrels you have to inspect towards the end of the Tutorial. There's just barely part of an old label left, reading "...adioactive extremely haz..." lol

And then there's the computer in the library that keeps making pop-ups.

But lag-wise, yes it's an issue. Seems laggier today, and our whole team got disconnected from the server once. Champion was down for maintenance (ie, debugging) today. As others have mentioned, it'll take a few days for them to work the bugs for I9 out, and for all the hoards of returning people to drift back out.

EDIT: posting late at night induces spelling errors...

They also announced that all former accounts are activated again through Sunday. That may be contributing to it as well. The announcement is located here

I was in a team with a guy earlier tonight that hadn't played for two years, and was trying out the new stuff.

The announcement:

Former Accounts Reactivated Through Sunday!

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Have you played City of Heroes or City of Villains previously? Do you follow the game but are not subscribed? Are you interested to check out the new free expansion, Issue 9? Well now you can!

In celebration of the launch of Issue 9: Breakthrough, we have reactivated the accounts of our former players in good standing through late Sunday night (May 6th, 8:59PM PST / 11:59PM EST). Spread the word to your supergroup or guild mates and online friends who might not be playing CoH that now is the time to come back and check out the great new Issue 9, for FREE!

Welcome back to these Heroes and Villains and we hope that everyone has a great "City of" weekend!

Well, you can use it to gain influence.

I found you can buy many of the basic recipes cheaper at Wentworths than they sell for at the Freedom Corps stores. So, as long as you have 3-4 thousand influnce, you can triple of better it, if you select the right stuff to buy and sell.

My interest in the game suddenly waned with this discussion. Can someone fill me in more about this influence thing? What is its importance and is it something you have to do to succeed in the game, or is it just another time waster that won't really advance the plot, but somehow make you "important" in the community?

My interest in the game suddenly waned with this discussion. Can someone fill me in more about this influence thing? What is its importance and is it something you have to do to succeed in the game' date=' or is it just another time waster that won't really advance the plot, but somehow make you "important" in the community?[/quote']

Influence is the 'Money' of the game. You use it to but enhancements for your powers to make them more effective, Inspirations to help you in battle, And now to purchase the items needed to build neat new enhamcements, costume peices, and temp powers. For villians it is called Infamy instead of Influence.

Ya know' date=' I'm not an in-game "crafts" person. So this whole supplement feels like a waste to me.[/quote']

They're basically trying to compete with Warcraft. How well that works, I have no idea, since I figure the people who are still playing CoX are the ones who are turned off by WoW.

Even so, having Enhancements that DON'T EXPIRE is damn neat, especially when you're in that late-teens curve between the "x+5" Enhancements and the "x10" Enhancements and you're getting hard up for Influence.

JG

Influence is the 'Money' of the game. You use it to but enhancements for your powers to make them more effective' date=' Inspirations to help you in battle, And now to purchase the items needed to build neat new enhamcements, costume peices, and temp powers. For villians it is called Infamy instead of Influence.[/quote']

Don't you get those by beating opponents? So now you can be a non-hero/villain and just buy your way to what you need?

Even so, having Enhancements that DON'T EXPIRE is damn neat, especially when you're in that late-teens curve between the "x+5" Enhancements and the "x10" Enhancements and you're getting hard up for Influence.

Bingo. It'll also be a huge convenience for people like me who just like beating stuff up, since I won't have to keep managing my Enhancements.

Don't you get those by beating opponents? So now you can be a non-hero/villain and just buy your way to what you need?

My level 19 villain Mastermind just blew her entire bank account of over 100,000 Infamy on new Enhancements. And those were the ordinary kind that will eventually "go bad" as I out level them. (Although they were all level 20 Sci-Tech Enhancements so they provide a pretty significant bonus.) The new type you get from crafting are going to be a big deal, trust me. Especially to folks who don't' like to fiddle with stuff.

Well, the game system still obliges you to be one or the other. Even in Warcraft they don't let you play Goblins. ;) Plus your initial Influence to buy swag and Salvage to trade still have to come from drops.

JG

They only way to get the influence in the first place is by "arresting" villians.

You still have me confused. You are using "lingo" that a newbie doesn't know. Terms I'm not following: Swag, Salvage, 'trade' (trade where with who?), drops.

You still have me confused. You are using "lingo" that a newbie doesn't know. Terms I'm not following: Swag' date=' Salvage, 'trade' (trade where with who?), drops.[/quote']

SWAG: as in any game, things you get for accomplishing missions or defeating mobs.

Salvage: Items that you get from mobs that you can use to build and/or create other things

Trade; Either with another character, or to various stores through out the game.

Drops: after defeating a mob, or completeing a mission, you have a random chance of getting Enhancements, Inspirations, and Salvage. Each of these can be used to improve your character or slod for influence.

Mobs: computer controlled opponents. Gangmembers and Villians on the Hero side; those, Police, and Heroes ont eh villian side.

Thanks Tim. I'm with you know. Since I haven't played with others yet, I haven't discovered the trading aspect yet. I have 'bought' stuff in game from the 'store' though. Have no idea about the Salvage yet. I think I got a badge at some point, would that be considered Swag or is swag useful stuff?

Thanks Tim. I'm with you know. Since I haven't played with others yet' date=' I haven't discovered the trading aspect yet. I have 'bought' stuff in game from the 'store' though. Have no idea about the Salvage yet. I think I got a badge at some point, would that be considered Swag or is swag useful stuff?[/quote']

Badges are swag. If you get the right combo of badges, you can get temp powers or unlock base items that can improve you teams base. They just aren't tradeable. And most just provide a sense of accomplishment.

Paragon Wiki can give you all of what you can get.

http://paragonwiki.com/Main_Page

Thanks Tim. I'm with you know. Since I haven't played with others yet' date=' I haven't discovered the trading aspect yet. I have 'bought' stuff in game from the 'store' though. Have no idea about the Salvage yet. I think I got a badge at some point, would that be considered Swag or is swag useful stuff?[/quote']

Trying to explain why the new system is nifty from basic concepts... I hope it helps.

As you level you get a new power every other level (until the mid 30's). And on the levels you don't get a power you get more "enhancement slots". Power choices and Enhancements let you individualize your character by making the character better at something. For example Better accuracy - I usually throw at least one accuracy enhancement on each of my attack powers. Accuracy is the one thing I upgrade first on most of my characters when I get to a level where I can use a new kind of enhancement - I hate missing.

Normal enhancements have a variable bonus. You can only slot enhancements up to 3 levels above your character level and the go ineffective more than 3 levels below you character level. I was very confused by what the numbers on the enhancements meant when I first started playing. Anyway, the effect is at lvl 7 you can start using lvl 10 enhancements, etc.

You get enhancements as drops from defeating the villains (in CoH). You also get influence from defeating the villains and from finishing missions. You can sell enhancements you get to the NPC stores for influence. You can buy the standard enhancements from the NPC stores when you can afford an upgrade. Which is all swell, you could theoretically trade enhancements amongst your group after an evening of adventuring but general it wasn't worth the bother to most people.

You can keep on using the old system and ignore the I9 additions. It won't hurt any but I think the I9 stuff is pretty nifty. Well, your recipie and invention salvage storage may fill up so you will want to sell them or give them away if you are ignoring invention stuff. But mostly you can ignore I9 if you choose to. The tutorial explains all this way better than I do when you get to high enough level the game will tell you and you can run through the tutorial at the university.

Enter I9 - now there is a market place where you can place enhancements up for sale. And more importantly where you can buy enhancements (and salvage and recipies) from other players. The market is cross server so you could play on champion and the thing you buy could come from victory. The currency is still influence. What is nifty about this is you can bid what you can afford and you can get some very good deals that way. Which means you can upgrade your character in the way you want for cheaper usually.

The other thing brought in with I9 are inventions. you can make things from the "invention salvage" that now drops off of villains (or that you buy at the market). Some things are just "cool looking" like costume parts. Most things are Invention enhancements or IO's. You can either make an IO with a recipie and ingredients you acquired or you can often buy the common IO's already created on the market place. IO's don't change their bonus ever. Whatever it is when you add an IO enhancement to your power is what it stays until you put something else in there. That means you can spend less time dinking around with upgrades over the course of a character's career.

Then there are the uncommon and rare IO's. Their bonus works the same way but they also offer additional bonuses for placing multiple enhancements from the same set into a power. For example I now have kinetic combat slotted on one of my scrapper's melee attacks. In addition to bonuses for accuracy, damage, recharge rate I also get an overal bonus to my health regeneration rate, and a bonus to all movement modes (run, fly, jump) of 5%. One from the set does whatever it does, 2 from a set and you start getting these overall bonuses. Usually the better stuff is when you get more of a set slotted. There are also special enhancements in some sets, for example one of the enhancements from the kinetic set gives all my attacks a 20% chance to knockdown my target - that's kind nifty and it makes my character more powerful (when the target is on the ground they aren't beating on you).

Again you can either try to buy enhancements someone already made or get the recipie and the salvage ingredients and make it yourself (which so far seems a better bet for the rare and uncommons).

I hope that helped. (I also hope I got it right :D )

It all makes sense to me, but I can see this turning into another one of those "I'll buy my way through the game instead of actually playing" things. I hope that isn't the case though. I just have a sneaky suspicion that this is going to create a huge divide between the Have's and the Havenot's. Again I hope that it won't affect the community as a whole. I'm still a complete fledgling myself and have not yet played in a group of any kind. We are actually planning on giving it a shot this weekend I believe with the codes that I was very thankful to receive. So I'm not going to pass any judgments until I've really gotten in there and done some serious playing. I currently have one hero and one villain that I've been using to get familiar with how things work and such, but when the family all gets together we'll be starting at square one. We'll definitely see how it goes.

It all makes sense to me' date=' but I can see this turning into another one of those "I'll buy my way through the game instead of actually playing" things. I hope that isn't the case though. I just have a sneaky suspicion that this is going to create a huge divide between the Have's and the Havenot's. Again I hope that it won't affect the community as a whole. I'm still a complete fledgling myself and have not yet played in a group of any kind. We are actually planning on giving it a shot this weekend I believe with the codes that I was very thankful to receive. So I'm not going to pass any judgments until I've really gotten in there and done some serious playing. I currently have one hero and one villain that I've been using to get familiar with how things work and such, but when the family all gets together we'll be starting at square one. We'll definitely see how it goes.[/quote']

Actually the auction house is trying to fix the issue of haves and havenots. Right now if you are part of a big, active SG you can get all the influence you waant to buy Enhancements. If you run solo, and are in a new, not so active SG (most of my characters) then you are always struggling for influence.

With the new invention salvage and recipe thing going. Those who have will pay big bucks to get the new costume peice recipes, and rare invention salvage. And since anyone can get lucky and get one in a drop. Anyone can be a multi millionare.

And also the prices for the common recipes at the auction houses are lower than what you can get for them at the quatermasters (villian) or stoes (hero) so if you are willing to spend some time buying and selling, you can gat plenty of influence htat way.

And you can't just buy your way thru. Like D&D the only way to get experience is to complete missions/ kill mobs. So you have to adventure and gain levels to get anywhere.

You still have me confused. You are using "lingo" that a newbie doesn't know. Terms I'm not following: Swag' date=' Salvage, 'trade' (trade where with who?), drops.[/quote']

Don't feel so bad, at least the CoX lingo still bears some resemblance to English. :D

JG

I'm not sure how I feel about the auction house Tim. I guess if it is a necessary evil then I'll live with it, but I think this sounds more like a lack of game balance thing. Of course I'm a newb when it comes to MMORPGs so it may be standard operating procedure, but I would think that the adventures and such are created with the perspective of a character being able to work their way through all the scenarios and if played perfect would "win", but that wouldn't happen so a little struggling would be par for the course. It will definitely be interesting to see how it comes together as I get more into the game.