City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

...I dunno. I won't say "It Sucked" because I think most of us playing had a good time. The system was easy but unfamiliar (it's the same system used in the BTVS and Firefly RPG's; don't know if they ever came out), the characters were Security Level six? They had minor movement powers. Many rules were made up at the spot. The game ran from 8pm to 1:30 AM and many of us were very tired.

I'd have liked to look at the finished product, but I have a sneaking suspicion that would have only been to convert the iconic characters to HERO. :D

...I dunno. I won't say "It Sucked" because I think most of us playing had a good time. The system was easy but unfamiliar (it's the same system used in the BTVS and Firefly RPG's; don't know if they ever came out), the characters were Security Level six? They had minor movement powers. Many rules were made up at the spot. The game ran from 8pm to 1:30 AM and many of us were very tired.

I'd have liked to look at the finished product, but I have a sneaking suspicion that would have only been to convert the iconic characters to HERO. :D

Thing is, I love the BUFFY system (at least for what it does) and I think a supers game with those rules would've been interesting. It probably would have looked like the ANGEL rules for designing Demon PCs, more than likely.

And hell, if you were just going to convert the characters to HERO, what's wrong with that? ;)

JG

I'm not sure how I feel about the auction house Tim. I guess if it is a necessary evil then I'll live with it' date=' but I think this sounds more like a lack of game balance thing. Of course I'm a newb when it comes to MMORPGs so it may be standard operating procedure, but I would think that the adventures and such are created with the perspective of a character being able to work their way through all the scenarios and if played perfect would "win", but that wouldn't happen so a little struggling would be par for the course. It will definitely be interesting to see how it comes together as I get more into the game.[/quote']

Well, even if you do play the market for a benefit (and it won't be a huge benefit) to your character's effectiveness you can always change the mission difficulty to a harder setting so that you feel challenged. The game is the combat and the storylines. Overall I think the market removes some tedium from the original design with an end result of you can spend more time playing (bashing villains / heroes). The temp travel power rewards in the early bank missions similarly speeds up the early game without sacrificing anything that was "fun" about running around town at a slow speed.

I had a recipe for insect wings drop soon after they put this in, so in my case it was less than a month.

I'm still debating what to do with them. I'd like to have a pair of wings, and this might be my only chance. But insect wings aren't quite right for my toon, and I wonder too if the market might eventually drop. I wonder if I should sell them and pocket the cash, then try to buy a pair later (or hope for another drop).

I had a recipe for insect wings drop soon after they put this in, so in my case it was less than a month.

I'm still debating what to do with them. I'd like to have a pair of wings, and this might be my only chance. But insect wings aren't quite right for my toon, and I wonder too if the market might eventually drop. I wonder if I should sell them and pocket the cash, then try to buy a pair later (or hope for another drop).

You could also broadcast that you want to trade them for the kind of wings you do want. I would probably sell them and not accept less than it appeared it would take to get the kind of wings you wanted. And of course the angel and demon wings will open to you after you have had your account for long enough. .. I don't remember how long that is.

I had fairy wings drop for the only one of my characters that might concievably use them... I think I had her in game a total of 15 minutes before I got the recipe drop. I went for it, she looks great with 'em :D

Um... MILLIONS?!?!?! :shock: Geez... how long does that take?

At high levels influence flows in very quickly. By the time you get to 30ish it's common to have 1 or 2 million saved up so you can upgrade your enhancements. With the market it was less expensive than going to the NPC stores. The rare costume parts are of course not necessary, so having them be very rare (and thus very expensive) makes sense to me.

Um... MILLIONS?!?!?! :shock: Geez... how long does that take?

In my case, I posted them, and less than a minute later they sold.

If you are talking about how long it takes to collect that influence. My level 36 toon, when out of SG mode, can get 1 milion influence in a couple of hours. And some of the players have been playing since day one. There were level 50 toons which had maxed out their influnce at 99 mil.

and I wonder too if the market might eventually drop. I wonder if I should sell them and pocket the cash' date=' then try to buy a pair later (or hope for another drop).[/quote']

The market probably will drop at some point. Not soon though. So go ahead and sell 'em and use that influence to put a bid in on the wings you want.

And of course the angel and demon wings will open to you after you have had your account for long enough. .. I don't remember how long that is.

Are these the same wings that you can get recipes for? Cherubic and demonic I think the recipes are called...

Burnt or bat wings would work. I think bat wings are the smaller ones, which would be fine.

What does this mean?

There's an option to join a SuperGroup (what fantasy MMORPGs would call 'guilds'). You can look one up on a list, or accept a random offer or friend's offer to join one. In this game, a SuperGroup gives you (in theory) a new list of friends that you can ask to team up on missions. Your team leader may also have access to a base, where he can build team gadgets such as healing devices, teleporters, or pinball machines. (I'm still not sure about the last one.)

To pay for these gadgets, each member has a portion of his Influence rewards skimmed off for something called 'prestige.' Prestige is what pays for base materials, in the same way that Influence pays for Enhancements and Inventions. Players have the option to not pay the Influence tithe to Prestige, because they have a choice to play in or out of 'SuperGroup mode.'

When in SG mode, your Influence is taxed to give your group Prestige points. Your costume is also altered to show the team colors and logo. :)

JG

SG = Super Group

When in super group mode, you donate some % of your earned money to your super group. Your group will then spend on useful things like teleporters for your base, or maybe they'll just take off to the Caribbean with it, who knows. In SG mode, you can also wear your team colors, and have your team emblem on your chest.

Ok. More clarity on Prestige and Influence (or Infamy)

From level 1-24, if you are in Super Group Mode, you earn just as much Influence as you do out of SG mode. And you earn Prestige as well.

From 25-34, the Influence is shaved off. (10% each level I think) until you hit 35 at which point, no more influence.

Now you can earn plenty of Influence to pay for your enhancements at 35 pretty quickly. I tended to play out of SG mode until I had enough for my next set of enhancements, then back into SG mode until I actually bought them.

While in SG mode, you also earn toward the various SG badges, such as healing, locations, and others.

Another thing about Super Groups. Usually if you are cash poor, you can ask a high level toon in the SG and they can advance you some influence. This is very helpful in the low teen levels when you are influence poor and trying to switch from generic enhancements to Dual Origin Enhances.

With the marketplace I doubt I will ever need to exit Super group mode to gain influence. I was puttering around with a lvl 5 blaster I hadn't run in months last night and in about 20 minutes had a few bits and pieces of invention salvage. I popped over to the kings row market and posted several of them and a few minutes later I had gone from 3000 influence to 96000. The pricey ones were commons, but they were magic origin low level commons... apparently most people avoid the villains that drop magic aligned salvage. you can see what slavage drops from a villain by right clicking and looking at their info and then clicking their salvage tab. Oddly clockwork drop magic invention salvage.

Regarding SG, you can start your own at lvl 10 or 11. If you are looking for one to join I would recommend teaming with people and if you find some players you get along with ask about joining their SG. If you have your own group you definetly get to play with base design... in a larger group it's probably something the officers deal with... still a nicely stocked base does make the game more enjoyable (teleporters to many zones are possible, ours has 8 currently).

I finally got around to trying out some of the salvage stuff, since regular salvage doesn't require a team/base/bench and you can do it at the university.

Turns out a generic level 25 ENH for recharge is about +30%. That's pretty solid.

I notice now I get about 1/20th the number of enh drops from combat that i used to. Guess they've decided to give you salvage instead most of the time.

Unfortunately, my characters who need the enh don't have the influence to build new ones and they aren't getting the drops to sell to make up the difference. Instead they're just getting the occasional common salvage that's useless. This feels very broken as far as the two characters I've played recently are concerned.

I finally got around to trying out some of the salvage stuff, since regular salvage doesn't require a team/base/bench and you can do it at the university.

Turns out a generic level 25 ENH for recharge is about +30%. That's pretty solid.

I notice now I get about 1/20th the number of enh drops from combat that i used to. Guess they've decided to give you salvage instead most of the time.

Unfortunately, my characters who need the enh don't have the influence to build new ones and they aren't getting the drops to sell to make up the difference. Instead they're just getting the occasional common salvage that's useless. This feels very broken as far as the two characters I've played recently are concerned.

Yeah, I have noticed that other "treasure" drops have decreased as salvage is brought in, but by the same token that means my lower-level characters are getting a decent amount of trade salvage. But then again, I haven't used Wentworth's yet. We'll see how it works.

JG

One way to build up influence:

Most common enhancement recipes sell for more at the FC stores than at Wentworths. So use what influence you have and buy as many cheap common recipes as you can hold. (Ex: One of my characters buys lvl 20 end reductions for 2000 inf ea, and the can sell them for over 4000 ea.)

It takes awhile, and you may have to place orders then log out and wait a day, but it works.