Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

It never fails to amaze me the dichotomy between ones own self-image and the impressions others have about them. How is it that someone can have such powerful self-doubt that when they receive a genuine compliment, they conclude either that the complimentors are lying or delusional, or that they, themselves, have managed to fool everybody?

It amazes me because I do it, too, and I'd really like to find a way to cut it out. Exorcising the self-doubt demons is the toughest battle I've ever fought, and there are days I despair that I will ever win.

In my case, it's that I've seen myself in the mirror just about every day for the last 26 years, and I just get uglier and uglier every day. The circles under the eyes get darker, the cheeks and chin get bigger, signs of wrinkles under the eyes . . . I wasn't happy about my appearance before, but yikes!

As the years pass, I look more and more like my mother. And my mother is NOT particularly attractive. In fact, my mother's weight is such a problem that her legs bruise from carrying around so much weight.

On day, Josh made me laugh as I passed a mirror, and I saw what my smile looks like (a real smile, not a deer-in-the-headlights smile). And for a moment, I could kind of undestand why anyone might find me attractive.

But the other several thousand times I'd seen myself in the mirror, unsmiling, soon righted THAT mode of thinking.

I could blame society. I could say looking at all these ideals of women has warped my self-esteem. Or I could just say it's my own damn fault, and admire anyone who repeats this bizarre assertion for their tenacity.

Yes, that IS a sideways compliment, Doug.

In my case, it's that I've seen myself in the mirror just about every day for the last 26 years, and I just get uglier and uglier every day. The circles under the eyes get darker, the cheeks and chin get bigger, signs of wrinkles under the eyes . . . I wasn't happy about my appearance before, but yikes!

As the years pass, I look more and more like my mother. And my mother is NOT particularly attractive. In fact, my mother's weight is such a problem that her legs bruise from carrying around so much weight.

On day, Josh made me laugh as I passed a mirror, and I saw what my smile looks like (a real smile, not a deer-in-the-headlights smile). And for a moment, I could kind of undestand why anyone might find me attractive.

But the other several thousand times I'd seen myself in the mirror, unsmiling, soon righted THAT mode of thinking.

I could blame society. I could say looking at all these ideals of women has warped my self-esteem. Or I could just say it's my own damn fault, and admire anyone who repeats this bizarre assertion for their tenacity.

There is a particular facial expression on my wife that no one will ever see but myself. Mostly, because Alice would never let me use a camera when we are, well, ya know. :D

But the look on her face is better than anything I have ever seen in my life.

There is a particular facial expression on my wife that no one will ever see but myself. Mostly, because Alice would never let me use a camera when we are, well, ya know. :D

But the look on her face is better than anything I have ever seen in my life.

Maybe we need to start an "O" face thread. :D

I don't think any person is ever 100% happy with the way they look. What makes this so preposterous is that how we look is utterly irrelevant to who we are as human beings. Anyone who cannot look past the imperfections of the physical shell when judging others is being crippled by their own imperfection: the inability to look past the surface.

Its easier said than done, I know, but don't allow yourself to be caught in that same trap. Your physical flaws do not matter to those who love you, and those are the only folks whose opinions about you have any real value.

Ah' date=' Chicago, the city I love to destroy![/quote']

WHAT ?????!!!!! That's my schtick ! Find your own city ya great green fraud !

Don't mess with Bazza!

...that's Death Tribble's job...

And I'm not even getting paid for it. The hours are lousy and you get little if any feedback from management.

Naturally.

Though I do hope now with Napoleon gone we won't be reduced to fighting, ugh, "AMERICANS"!? Thank God I didn't have to serve against them, who has time to deal with uppity gnats?

Where did you serve? I was in the North Atlantic and Indian Ocean.

Now I know how to get to your character -- Americans! :)

-Shelley