Longest Running Thread EVER

Sport and Exercise Science is the worst; even the liberal arts people sneer at them as a bunch of glorified playground monitors, but they are bunkered over in Arts & Sciences with the liberal arts, who are not going to be able to drum them out for mathlessness since everyone else there is nearly as bad. By contrast, General Science was purged when a program audit within Science and Engineering (where General Science was) revealed it to be just a crippled biology degree with all the math parts excised, and among the real science and engineering types the contempt was so universal there was no stink at all about killing it off.

We don't have a degree program for librarians here. I'm at home now and I can't recall the other program whose name includes "Science" in an oxymoronic way. I'll look it up tomorrow. Might be Environmental; I know there's three different programs whose names include that word.

Yeah, the other is Environmental Science, which is an odd duck; it's taught out of Civil & Environmental Engineering, but the Environmental Science degree doesn't require calculus or the calculus-based physics (etc.) courses. Not entirely sure what to make of that.

Results in a BS.

Here we have both BA and BS programs in the standard sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics. But BS only in Biochemistry and the engineering programs.

I know no details about the other departments, but the BA in physics requires fewer things (which means that most of our double-majors go the BA route, because otherwise it's almost impossible even in principle to graduate in four years).

EDIT: I see the now-extinct General Science program was a BS, though.

There's nothing at all wrong with that. You aren't pursuing a degree in something that calls itself a science. Despite how I sound at times, there is no reason everyone should be a scientist, and lots of reasons why most people shouldn't be one. There are lots of intellectual... and other ... pursuits that aren't science and are worthy of study and practice.

It's just that if you are going to engage in an endeavor that calls itself a science, then there's some mathematical rigor and sophistication that make for essential items in the toolkit. If you can't handle those, then you most probably are going to have limited success in that endeavor. There are exceptions to that, but not many of them are above the button-sorter/cage-cleaner level. And construction and operation of a degree program in something that supposedly is a science, but one that aids and abets people deluding themselves that they can get by without the math, is ... unethical.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...