Longest Running Thread EVER

What services are affected?

Internal stuff like student records and personnel, personal and team file storage, all internal networks, telephone, the internal email gateway ....

Just about everything but what's on actual desktop machines.

... and it's all still down, nearly 12 hours later.

And three days before a planned major systems upgrade, though not everything that's still down was slated to be upgraded. I wonder what major mistake those DFUAs made that caused things to be so vulnerable.

Usually Seattle City Light is pretty reliable. Wonder what the root cause was. Leading the betting is some contractor blunder, but I have sen nothing in the way of hard info.

Sometime in the last ten minutes, the internet came live again. None of the more-or-less essential on-campus services are up yet (phones, email, institutional data, printers, ...) but we are no longer strictly in a post-apocalyptic cave with one last 120VAC power supply, which is where we've been since about 11AM yesterday.

Yeah, though I wonder if the glorious DFUAs which are our campus IT structure got caught violating this bit of advice. There already was planned to be a major upgrade to several services this coming weekend, and there was a previously announced "last possible access" date (today, I think) for some pre-upgrade services. Wouldn't surprise me if the bolt-from-the-blue yesterday of a data center power failure caught them completely off guard with safeties deactivated. I.e., they were doing a Chernobyl and did not have the full mastery of circumstance they thought they had.

That "not having the full mastery they thought they had" is (1) characteristic of them and (2) a well-recognized indicator of incompetence.

I have floated the suggestion of building bonfires and punishing/disposing of the incompetents that way, with the side point of raffling off the honors of tossing in the first torch. That might bring in a fair amount of money.

For me, too. Because a postscript popped up today. Turns out the master authentication system is still bollixed, in the sense that if you change your password (and there's a calendar-based timer that forces you to do that) that change doesn't get propagated down to the virtual desktops. I.e., you can log in but you can't get to your own files, and if you can, you can't touch them.

Believe it or not, I actually guessed that might happen. I remember too much about authentication snafus from my old email support days, and realized that that problem wouldn't be obvious when they brought more or less everything back up. Only when Someone Important does their calendar-forced password change and no longer can do anything useful does the fire to get this fixed get lit under the appropriate sets of genitalia.