Longest Running Thread EVER

On October 28, 2018 at 1:34 AM, L. Marcus said:

The tits abound.

They seem to have revamped the taxonomy, so those are a separate genus from what we have over here: two closely related separate groups, the titmice and the chickadees.  The titmice are south of here.  Chickadees are more northerly and seem to like woodlands.

Here in Seattle we get intermittent reports of escaped parrots successfully wintering over within the city, but I haven't seen confirmation of any of them, and I haven't knowingly seen a free-flying parrot here (and I think I'd recognize it; hummingbirds are about the only bright green native bird in our area, and most of the parrots are largely green, and I'm quite confident I would never mistake the two).  There are places in the city where an overwintering parrot (or several) might happen -- parks where there's lots of edible trash, with shelter near continuous technological heat sources -- but it's a stretch, especially in a harder-than-normal winter.

But yeah, parrots are noisy.  Crows and jays are vocal, but nothing like parrots.  I remember the enclosure with the sun conures in the Honolulu Zoo ... you could hear those guys a block away.

EDIT: Seattle Parks says they're here.  Seward Park is about as far away from my house as you can get in the city (I'm a block from the north city limit), and while I've been there, it's sort of a once-a-decade thing, and it wasn't in winter.

I know magpies well, but we have none here west of the Cascades.  The jays and crows are their replacement.

At times (mostly winters) the crows will gather in vast mobs (hundreds of individuals) and talk politics.  Take the old Skaramine - Worldmaker - Seenar - et al. discussions, translate into corvid, simultaneous continuous denunciations, remove all moderators, and put it in a clump of trees taking up most of the block.  Play for half an hour or more.

I remember one of those times when it happened just north of us, and we opened the door to let the cats out.  They went out onto the porch, looked up at the crows in the trees, and decided to come back in.

Late yesterday afternoon as a meeting broke up (with several people saying they were going home to see election returns come in), I said I had no intention of watching anything.  The results would be there the next morning, the next weekend, the next month, and there wasn't anything I could do about it, and with most of the elections with the new officeholders taking their positions sometime in 2019, there really isn't much requirement to pay attention until December at least.

This seemed alien to most people (a couple were kind enough to call me "disciplined" for not turning on the TV).  I really don't understand why.  It isn't like news of an hurricane (now there's a reason to watch the news updates fervently!), or current traffic conditions (again, that has the potential of being useful and time-saving in the immediate future), or stock market figures (if you're into financial markets, yeah, real-time attention that might be your thing in a big way), or even local sports news (again, the areas where the fans congregate get affected directly, so that can affect you the way traffic reports affect you).  Given the networks' goal of making people watch them by scaring people ... nope, don't need that; I really DGAF about what happened even in local elections in the next county, let alone nine states away.    My own district wasn't heavily contested, and the state stuff can wait until the recap in the Sunday paper after some of the hyperbole can calm down.

All things considered, a nice tabletop RPG session with a simple dungeon crawl adventure would've been a perfect way to spend the evening.  Unfortunately, our gaming group meets on Fridays, not Wednesdays.

56 minutes ago, Bazza said:

So basically, it is what it is and I'll continue to live my life. 

Right? 

In the end, it's all any of us can really do.

Make a difference where you are. Trust that the rest will sort itself out.