Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Uh . . . :think: :think: :think:

Um . . . :think: :think: :think: :think:

Oooh! There's an oscure reference in there! :D

Okay, okay, so it's a really obscure reference. It's from a 1931 "Our Gang" short called "Helping Grandma". :)

The owner of a tiny general store, "Grandma", loves to have the kids around, even if they pay for their penny candy with expired subway tokens and buttons. Local skinflint Mr. Pennypacker tries to purchase Grandma's store for a ridiculously low sum, while a pair of representatives from a chain store make a more generous offer. Thanks to the Gang's well-meaning "assistance", the chain-store men are very nearly scared away, while mean Mr. Pennypacker almost persuades Grandma to give up her store. But truth and decency prevail, again largely thanks to the youngsters.

The quote in question comes from a period of time in which "Grandma" leaves the kids in charge of the store while she goes out on an errand. She tells them that if anyone calls, just ask them to call back later (after she's back). The kids start helping themselves to the candy bins behind the counter. The kid who answers the phone keeps looking at the heap of candy that's been dished up for him and saying " 'tain't enough! I want more!" and each time a little more candy gets added to the pile.

The trick here comes in that after having been originally brushed off, the men from the chain store keep calling back to offer "Grandma" an ever-higher price for her store. Every time they call the kid picks up the phone, says (to the other kid dishing up the candy) " 'tain't enought! I want more!" then turns to the phone and says "Call back later!" and hangs up. It makes the chain store reps think "Grandma" is refusing their ever-higher offers, so they keep upping the offered price. Eventually they arrive at the store in person, just as she's about to sign a contract with Mr. Pennypacker to sell the store for a very low sum, and make her their "final offer" -- over 10 times what she was about to get. ;)

By the way, I notice I'm coming up on 6k posts. Not really a landmark compared to some (cough cough lemming cough zornwil cough cough) but the highest I've had here.

So...should I try to think up something "special" for 6k, or just let it slip quietly by? I realize now I didn't do anything for 5k, and apparently that caused no problem at all.

So..honest question: make an "effort" for 6k, or just keep pluggin' along? :think:

By the way, I notice I'm coming up on 6k posts. Not really a landmark compared to some (cough cough lemming cough zornwil cough cough) but the highest I've had here.

So...should I try to think up something "special" for 6k, or just let it slip quietly by? I realize now I didn't do anything for 5k, and apparently that caused no problem at all.

So..honest question: make an "effort" for 6k, or just keep pluggin' along? :think:

6000 pics?? That would get you to 12k pretty quick. ;)

Post your favorite picture for your 6K.

And now for something completely different:

A friend was telling me about how he heard the song "With or Without You" being sung in Italian by some street musician when he was in Rome. I asked him what he was doing in Rome. He paused a beat, then said, "Why, as the Romans do, of course!"

He thought I'd done that on purpose.

Guest Skaramine

Post your favorite picture for your 6K.

And now for something completely different:

A friend was telling me about how he heard the song "With or Without You" being sung in Italian by some street musician when he was in Rome. I asked him what he was doing in Rome. He paused a beat, then said, "Why, as the Romans do, of course!"

He thought I'd done that on purpose.

:rofl:

Guest Skaramine

I'm not sure I have a favorite picture' date=' there are so many good ones. Hmmm... I'll give it some thought. :think:[/quote']

Favorite girl kissing girl pic? :angel:

Guest Skaramine

Of course... I also liked Allison Mack, Chloe Sullivan from Smallville.

I wish they'd been allowed to change Chloe's professional name to Lois... :(

am_sv_wallpaper_800.jpg

Favorite girl kissing girl pic? :angel:

Even if I had one that would be board-safe (I don't know if I do; I might) I don't think that would "fly" with TPTB. Or with some jerk who might decide to report the thread and get it closed. So I think I'll probably have to skip that. ;)

Okay, here we go. :)

My favorite aircraft is the Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird", though in truth almost any of its incarnations will do.

Originally commissioned by the CIA as a spy plane, it was first designated the A12. Eventually the design was modified to fit Air Force specifications and re-designated the SR-71. The main differences were some upgrades for stealth purposes -- changes made to incorporate advances in RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) and similar things. The first picture is of an A12 that has been converted to Air Force specs.

There were several variants of the SR-71 produced; most of them were identical from the exterior, with the changes being differences in equipment and instrumentation.

There was also a fighter/interceptor version produced, the YF12a. The camera bay of the SR-71 was modified to accept missiles instead, and two smaller vanes were added on the underside of the engine nacelles to enhance stability. Only 7 known firings of missiles were done by YF12a, and those were all in flight tests. That varient never went into production. (The last pic is of a YF12a. Note the difference in the nose section.)

The SR-71 is the only produced Air Force design that never lost a single unit in the line of duty. (That's not to say that some SR-71s weren't lost -- they were. In one case the fire was so complete they didn't even bother to collect the wreckage, just bulldozed dirt over it and then paved it over to extend the runway. But none were ever lost while performing a mission.)

NASA now controls and operates a pair of modified SR-71s for high-altitude / high-speed research. These planes have been modified to carry a research drone (about 1/4 the size of the main aircraft) mounted on the top rear of the fuselage, between the inward-canted control vanes.

a12.gif

sr-71.jpg

sr71.jpg

sr71a.jpg

yf12a1.jpg

Geeze' date=' zornwil, are you going to do a summary like that for [i']every[/i] page of this thread? :rolleyes:

(Not that I'm really complaining, of course. ;) It's just pro forma.)

I think I already lost patience for that "project"! Just a stroll down memory lane is all, helping pad the count for this thread.

Different tones. Plus the fact we already know that Jack & Doug do not get along and Jack deliberately provoked Doug.

Heck, I don't care about the guns. I think Doug does a great job in making mock ups, but I tend to skip the gun posts. There are others who like the posts though.

It's not like the sniping doesn't go on in its own little way time to time on each part. Whatever.

Probably me. My depression has a pretty strong hold on me again right now, despite medication. That's mostly due to stress, mainly financial.

In any case, even if I'm not responsible, my low self-esteem coupled with my deepening depression will insist that I take the blame anyway, because it's sure to make me feel worse.

Your subconcious at work. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, Dr. A, hope things look up.