Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Yup. Easiest to see is on a globe. One angle at zero longitude' date=' zero latitude; one at 90 E longitude, zero latitude; the third at either of the poles.[/quote']

Related to the whole "hunting the bear" riddle:

A hunter gets up and travels due south for 1 mile, where he spots and shoots a bear. The bear runs east for 1 mile, until the hunter finally catches him and finishes him off. The hunter then travels north for 1 mile to get back to his camp. Where is it possible for this to happen?

And there are actually 2 answers for this. One is a specific location and the other is a set of locations, but only one makes a triangle.

:D

Could be. I can't judge the models from what appears there, but the right noises are there, when you try to decipher them backwards through the popular media filter.

Though the Terrestrial Planet Finder mission, cited at the end of the National Geographic item linked in that page, I thought was belly-up; I read something last spring indicating it had been suspended indefinitely and its funding zeroed.

Cool. Did you look at the Hoffman Quartet pdf? http://www.fantasist.net/downloads/HoffmanQuartet.pdf

What did you think of that? This is coming from a physics student on the Campaign Cartographers elist. Apparently his professor and he did this as a "special project".

This is the actual post:

I know this is getting off-topic by quite a bit, but Tau Ceti is one of the more popular choices for stars that might have life-bearing planets because it's so close in composition to our Sun. I had a physics professor do me up a theoretical solar system around TC and he complimented me on the choice since it was close enough to be possible, but different enough to be interesting. In fact, I put the work I commissioned from him up on my website, if anyone is interested. (Actually, I posted a blog entry about something else and included a link to the system, which we called Hoffman's Quartet.

http://www.fantasist.net/scroll/?p=614 )

Enjoy!

Jim

Eerily familiar. His development is very much like mine would be, and where I stop to read it carefully, I nod. Looks like good stuff to me.

My sci-fi mock-up world was orbiting 61 Vir, it had been colonized by sentient plants. It was unremarkable in terms of its planetary system. I spent more time working out the details of interstellar tech, what it meant for travel, and what the evolutionary pressures on plants would mean for their motives and psychology.

Eerily familiar. His development is very much like mine would be, and where I stop to read it carefully, I nod. Looks like good stuff to me.

My sci-fi mock-up world was orbiting 61 Vir, it had been colonized by sentient plants. It was unremarkable in terms of its planetary system. I spent more time working out the details of interstellar tech, what it meant for travel, and what the evolutionary pressures on plants would mean for their motives and psychology.

That sounds kind of cool. Did you do anything rpg system wise or just the physics of it?

That sounds kind of cool. Did you do anything rpg system wise or just the physics of it?

It's mostly physics and interpretations of evolutionary biology, and figuring out where those high-level decisions allowed RPGs to take place. Ultimately the answer was "not very many interesting places", because it was an interesting story but not a good game scenario. I'll look at those notes again; I was a co-GM for that, but it didn't go well.