Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Incidentally, we got a fresh load of kittens to foster over the Christmas break. A black momcat and six black kittens. Mom is a small, skinny cat, but she has large feet and even larger fur tufts between her toes; she has intermediate-length fur and small ears set well down her head. Like her, the kittens have small ears set well down, and seem not to have short hair (more than that is hard to say at this age). Four of the six kittens have folded ears. Telling them apart is nontrivial. The two straight-ear kittens differ considerably in size and voice (the big one is "Wheezer"), but the differences among the other four require you to pick them up, turn them over, and examine the small white patches some of them have on their bellies. A neighbor advised masking tape as an identification aid.

Having had a black cat for a decade and two for three years, I already know that black cats do not photograph well.

It's all in the lighting.

Yeah, and I haven't found the right combination yet. Part of it, I'm certain, is that the exposure meter in my camera is optimized for something other than black cats on neutral-to-bright backgrounds. I haven't burned an afternoon playing with manual settings to find one that works.

Having had a black cat for a decade and two for three years, I already know that black cats do not photograph well.

My brother has an interesting photograph of a F-117a that he took at an air show in Denver shortly after the government officially announced that they existed. While the jet was very black when he saw it in person, in his photograph it is the colour of unexposed film. :)

:yes: About a year and a half ago, a faithful duplication of Columbus's Nina came to Seattle, and I took loads of pictures of it. Unfortunately, every wood surface of the whole d***ed ship (which is everything but the sails, cordage, and anchor) is painted flat black. If I go into Gimp and do some fancy stretches I can get some details out of the black, but I'm not willing to do that for the most part.

It's all in the lighting.

Sure, you can say that. Your cats are kind enough to step into good lighting for you. Try apartment living with a cat who bolts every time the camera's out.

People wonder why I take so many more pictures of Risu. Not only is she not-black, she sits still for the camera.

Sure, you can say that. Your cats are kind enough to step into good lighting for you. Try apartment living with a cat who bolts every time the camera's out.

People wonder why I take so many more pictures of Risu. Not only is she not-black, she sits still for the camera.

It took perhaps 40 shots for those two. :D Uncooperative little beasts.

Roman on the other hand, took a bunch of nice shots. Now having 792 cats, there are bound to be some photogenic ones...

Though all three of those are on my next mobile, and I had to take pictures for their cage cards.

Herc just refuses to sit still once the camera makes its little whirring noise. Either he comes toward you, so all you get is a nose, or he runs away, so you just get a black streak. Very annoying.

And the whirr wakes him up, too.

We've had a cat at the sanctuary that was freaked out by cameras. He'd run if you brought a camera in. Didn't matter if it was a big SLR or a tiny point and shoot. He'd know.

And quite a few dogs dislike cameras. They freak them out for some reason.

The capacitor system for flashes often whines at frequencies inaudible to humans, but well in the perception range for dogs and cats. I gather that some cameras always charge up for a flash even when the flash is closed, too.

The capacitor system for flashes often whines at frequencies inaudible to humans' date=' but well in the perception range for dogs and cats. I gather that some cameras always charge up for a flash even when the flash is closed, too.[/quote']

From what I understand, dogs tend to see the camera as a big eye. They also dislike sunglasses and tall men.

Totally general case though.

With the particular cat, we went in once with a webcam, he still ran. It's like he was in the federal witness protection program.

We've had a cat at the sanctuary that was freaked out by cameras. He'd run if you brought a camera in. Didn't matter if it was a big SLR or a tiny point and shoot. He'd know.

And quite a few dogs dislike cameras. They freak them out for some reason.

They know that cameras STEAL YOUR SOUL. Mwuhahahaha!