Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

The Cat Genie works best if you have room in your bathroom. It hooks quite nicely to the side of our toilet. Unfortunately' date=' we only have one bathroom, and it's teeny. We're working on being able to put it in the basement, but the cats who use it most are scared to go all the way down there.[/quote']

I won't have room in the bathroom in my new apartment, but I will have room next to the clotheswasher.

[rant]Several of the nicer places around here (but not *real* nice) are part of some "cheap housing for the poor" subsidy from the government. And I make too much money to live there. Which means I have to pay as much (or more in this case) and get less because I am slightly too successful. Yay Democracy & Free Enterprise! :ugly:[/rant]

But it does work. My roommate's biggest complaint is that the automatic cycle uses up twice the soap' date=' and the stuff you need to replenish is on the expensive side. But if you can afford the up-front costs, it's an excellent investment.[/quote']

That seems strange that an automatic setting would use up more than just pushing the button to activate the cycle.

One warning: if you let solid waste sit for longer than 12 hours' date=' it needs to be scooped by hand. But it does scoop easily, and the pellets can be flushed without clogging up your pipes.[/quote']

Thanks for the tip!

My biggest problems with the thing are the space it takes up in the bathroom' date=' and the little pellets all over the floor. But clay pebbles would be way worse, and these can just be swept up and poured back in to be reused. I suppose I could do that, myself, but I'm sort of in denial that it's still in our eensy bathroom.[/quote']

I would keep a dust buster near the cat genie just for the purpose of picking up the pellets and putting them back in the bin. You say there isn't room in your bathroom -- is your cat genie not sitting next to the toilet?

EDIT: My roommate says to invest in the one that has a hood. The pellets stay in better, that way. It's $14 more. But the Cat Genie is used by two cats, and it seems well-suited to the task.

I might go this route then. After spending $300 (IIRC), $14 more is nothing. A concern I have is that the difference in height of the drain hose between hooking it on the toilet and hooking it on the washer drain pipe might cause it to not flush as fully...

The hose is probably about three feet long. It flushes just fine, even though the Cat Genie sits on the floor and the toilet is higher in elevation. I think there's some pressure in the hose.

I think the automatic setting doesn't have an option for "short cycle," but pushing the button does. So it always assumes it's a bit behind the times when it's running by itself, and hedges its bets by cleaning that much more thoroughly.

My biggest problems with the thing are the space it takes up in the bathroom' date=' and the little pellets all over the floor. But clay pebbles would be way worse, and these can just be swept up and poured back in to be reused. I suppose I could do that, myself, but I'm sort of in denial that it's still in our eensy bathroom.[/quote']

Unless you do the vacuum thing every time one walks into the bathroom (with my kids, ages 12 & 13? Get F***ing Real :mad: ), the clay stuff will get wet (from spray over the shower curtain, or even just our damp climate this time of year) and cake to the floor. I got to do the bathroom floor before Thankgiving.

Siegfried (I think it's him) insists on peeing in the corner of the box, about 6" above the surface. We have a high-sided box partly for that reason. (The other reason was that Loki, when he was alive, was an energetic excavator in there; the tall box minimized the scatter.)

• 2 weeks later...