Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Looks like the ark was 1.3 by 0.8 by 0.8 meters in size. No real data on the wall thickness, but if we posit 10 cm or so and it's dry wood (which has a dielectric constant of about 2.2) with electrical conductor lining the inside and covering the outside, then it can be modeled as six parallel-plate capacitors (four 1.3 by 0.8, two 0.8 square) in parallel. 10 cm plate separation means the capacitance won't be that high.

Looks like the ark was 1.3 by 0.8 by 0.8 meters in size. No real data on the wall thickness' date=' but if we posit 10 cm or so and it's dry wood (which has a dielectric constant of about 2.2) with electrical conductor lining the inside and covering the outside, then it can be modeled as six parallel-plate capacitors (four 1.3 by 0.8, two 0.8 square) in parallel. 10 cm plate separation means the capacitance won't be that high.[/quote']

You forget that it is channelling spiritual energy. Until science can successfully measure that, my answer stands. :P

Its energy is infinite.

And you chose not to read the question as stated. I specifically said "electrical capacitance", limiting the calculation in the classical reductionist way to something that is calculable. I don't contest your interpretation; I just point out that wasn't what I asked.

And you chose not to read the question as stated. I specifically said "electrical capacitance"' date=' limiting the calculation in the classical reductionist way to something that is calculable. I don't contest your interpretation; I just point out that wasn't what I asked.[/quote']

true. :o

Upon reflection, perhaps a bit of both, that is drawing the spiritual energy from 'g-d' to electrical energy would be infinite. Or the Ark is a multi-dimension electrical generator.

You know, now I am curious about your question.

true. :o

Upon reflection, perhaps a bit of both, that is drawing the spiritual energy from 'g-d' to electrical energy would be infinite. Or the Ark is a multi-dimension electrical generator.

You know, now I am curious about your question.

computing capacitance

Treat the Ark like six capacitors connected in parallel (so the individual sides simply add). Four of the sides are 1.3m by 0.8m, the other two are 0.8m square. That sets the area of the plates. The thickness of the wood isn't mentioned in the original source :), so I use a reasonably robust thickness of 10 cm. That sets the plate separation. And dry wood has a k of around 2.2, though there's substantial variation with moisture content of the wood.

FWIW, I didn't tell the students on the assignment that's what they were computing.

The students were all shocked last year when they asked about one problem I'd assigned and I casually referred to it as the "Manhattan Project" problem as I started up the explanation of how to do it. I ended up in a ten-minute digression about why it was key to building the first atomic bombs.

The difference in mean speed of the gas molecules for the different isotopic forms of UF6. U-235 hexafluoride moves slightly faster since it's lighter than U-238 hexafluoride, so it passes through filters more readily. After a couple thousand filter stages you have it sufficiently enriched that you can convert the UF6 back to uranium metal that is enriched enough for use in a weapon.

Thankfully, fluorine has only one stable isotope so there's no confusion with molecular mass from that direction.

The students were all shocked last year when they asked about one problem I'd assigned and I casually referred to it as the "Manhattan Project" problem as I started up the explanation of how to do it. I ended up in a ten-minute digression about why it was key to building the first atomic bombs.

Just lucky it wasn't the Montauk Project.

or the Philadelphia Experiment.