Retractable Armor?

Demonsong

Retractable Armor?

Working on a cyborg type character that has billions of Nanotechs Machines in his body and on a mental command they ooze the surface of his skin and cover him form head to toe in a metallic armor. While so “armored†his STR and a few other stats are increased.

What is the best way to represent this?

I was thinking…

Armor 15PDr 15 EDr

+1/4 Hardened

-1/4 Visible

-1/4 OIHID

Then just buy STR (or what ever) with the -1/4 OIHID

Or should this be a Multi-Form?

Or something else?

Thanks for the input.

Demonsong

Re: Retractable Armor?

I think you are already on the right track. I might quibble with the "visible" limit, but that's not really the point of your writeup.

Just remember that an OIHID character has to have a way that he can be prevented from changing. Once you define how to stop it, you are good.

Muliform is definatly going overboard. If all that is changing is his appearance or Stats, then OIHID is the way to go. Multiform is best reserved for situation when his personality and disadvantages radically change. You aren't going that far.

Retractable Armor?

Working on a cyborg type character that has billions of Nanotechs Machines in his body and on a mental command they ooze the surface of his skin and cover him form head to toe in a metallic armor. While so “armored†his STR and a few other stats are increased.

What is the best way to represent this?

I was thinking…

Armor 15PDr 15 EDr

+1/4 Hardened

-1/4 Visible

-1/4 OIHID

Then just buy STR (or what ever) with the -1/4 OIHID

Or should this be a Multi-Form?

Or something else?

Thanks for the input.

Demonsong

Looks good.

I imagine what Jhamin means about Visible is that the metalic form could be considered part of the characters "HID" appearance -- the thing that differentiates the HID from the NID, but you are fine with Visible -- it's rules legal and it makes sense for the character concept.

However, the character should have some other thing that differentiates his HID from his NID if you take Visible on the Armor, otherwise the character just has an activation of powers setup and not an actual true HID.

Combining linked with HID can be very cost effective.

48 16pd 16 ed hardened armour,hid

26 str+30 oend, linked

17 con+15,linked

add on not in intence magentic field, which not only stops your change but reduced you to normal would get you -1 lim. tough cookie

most writeups for power armour could also benifit from linked if allowed. I feel this would tend to overshadow more standard builds but i believe its legal.

Would your Armor be Persistant? Rather, do the namomachines keep the armor up if the character is stunned or knocked unconscious? If not, you could apply Nonpersistant (-1/4).

I'd only pick one of Visible or OIHID. They both cover the same effect (the power only works when the character's appearance changes vs the power changes the character's appearance when it's turned on). Personally, I'd go with OIHID unless the Armor is actually visible to three sense groups.

I wouldn't allow the STR to be Linked, however, because it makes it too cost effective. Just duplicating Visible or OIHID would be appropriate though (and possibly No Figured Characteristics unless he gains extra STUN and REC from it).

Armour is Visible, I dont care what it says in the rules, no Character EVER made in Enemies that had armour was "invisible" to sight, by sfx.

invisible armour is PD/ED/res oddly enough the same cost.

Dust Raven says he would not allow the linking, its not illegal , and it simulates not picking up Iron mans gloves (san suit) and blasting someone

your Amour is persistant, theres no reason for it not to be

Its Legal, but a little bit abusive...

Would your Armor be Persistant? Rather, do the namomachines keep the armor up if the character is stunned or knocked unconscious? If not, you could apply Nonpersistant (-1/4).

Or, just buy Force Field with Costs END to Start.

I wouldn't allow the STR to be Linked, however, because it makes it too cost effective. Just duplicating Visible or OIHID would be appropriate though (and possibly No Figured Characteristics unless he gains extra STUN and REC from it).

I'd allow the STR to be Linked to the Armor, or OIHID on both Powers, but not both the Linked and the OIHID. Unless some explanation makes me think otherwise, they appear to be redundant.

Armour is Visible, I dont care what it says in the rules, no Character EVER made in Enemies that had armour was "invisible" to sight, by sfx.

I agree completely, which is why I ask all my players who want Invisible Armor to just buy Armor normally, because it takes up less space on the character sheet than extra PD/ED and Resistant Defenses. If it costs the same, and does the exact same thing, what's the difference?

Dust Raven says he would not allow the linking, its not illegal , and it simulates not picking up Iron mans gloves (san suit) and blasting someone

???:think:???

What does Iron Man have to do with this?

your Amour is persistant, theres no reason for it not to be

Is it? What if the nanomachines are under constant mental control of the cyborg, and without that control they just return to their housings and wait for new orders? What if the nanomachines require fuel/supplies/energy to operate and maintain the Armor?

Those sound like reasons. I'm just asking if they apply and offering a suggestion of they do.

Its Legal, but a little bit abusive...

An EB 2d6 AVLD vs Smell Flash Defense AE: One Hex, Autofire 5 for 45 Active Points is legal, and a little bit abusive... Doesn't make it a good idea or that a GM should allow for it.

In general, the way i would build this is as OIHID for the armor and strength provided there was a defined way to stop the access of the powers as per OIHID. of course, you might well discover new ways in play. ("gee, it looks like that radiation from yesterday is playing havoc on your nanite builders. You are only partially covered this phase, say activation 8- on armor and strength. It looks like it may take as much as a turn before the armor, and strength, are fully enabled, with the act rolls getting easier as you go along. You going to wait around? The villains seem to be going on with their plans?")

I would not allow linked because, as the same OIHID is on both, whenever the armor would be prevented (by blocking OIHID) the strength would be down too as part of its OIHID. (Also, book not in front of me but i seem to recall something about how the value of linked should be judged and things like "linked to persistent powers is not worth much".)

But it really boils down to this... under a decent GM, whether they are called OIHID or linked or whatever, the amount of grief you get will depend on how much cost discount you take. If your Gm agrees with visible and OIHID and linked and so forth, you save a lot, but you should EXPECT that this now means you will have trouble because of this half the time or more.

So at the very least, ask yourself this... "sure, if i save -3/4 or -1 i get a lot of points, but do i really really want to spend about half the time i play this guy in combat without the armor and strength?" Is the character without his armor and strength going to be "fun" to play in a combat without these things? Is this true if it happens frequently, like every other session?

If so, pile on the -1/4's and -1/2s and cut the cost in half.

If not, if the armored guy is the guy you want to be playing, then tone the lims down to about an easy -1/4, say OIHID only, so that you are asking the GM to, once in a while, make the "nanites changing me" (equivalent to the Rambo dressing for combat scene) something of a problem but one quickly resolved and most of the time, you don't have a problem.

A good GM is going to do what you "tell" him to do when you "tell" him how much you want to cut the cost of your powers. So...

Be careful what you ask for... you may just get it.

Dust Raven: Would your Armor be Persistant?

Getting Con Stunned or KOed and having your armor go down is sucks! I have had 2 characters killed because of this. That’s one of the main reasons I don’t use Force Fields for my PC any more…..unless the character concept really demands it.

So yes the armor will be persistent.

Magmarock: If the STR cost isn't higher than the armor, you can also link it to the armor since it is there only when the armor is.

It really is a good idea. And I do think that strictly by the letter of the rule it’s legal. But I am afraid it might be points fishing.

Vorsch: Armour is Visible, I dont care what it says in the rules, no Character EVER made in Enemies that had armour was "invisible" to sight, by sfx.

I am going to have to totally disagree with you here. I see where your coming form but I don’t agree.

Dust Raven: An EB 2d6 AVLD vs Smell Flash Defense AE: One Hex, Autofire 5 for 45 Active Points is legal, and a little bit abusive... Doesn't make it a good idea or that a GM should allow for it.

Thats going to be My Primary Attack Power :D

Thanks all for the input!!

Just a Clarification on the whole Visible/Perceivble thought.

1) In Hero, Visible is defined as being perceivable by three Sense Groups.

2) Any power that costs END automatically is "Visible". Those that do not cost END by default are not "Visible", however, this is not the same as "Invisible".

Therefore, since Armor does not cost END by default, it is not "Visible" as defined by the game, but does not imply that Armor is "Invisible".

Armor could be perceivable by the Sight Group and no other and still not be considered "Visible".