Nemesis

Rachel

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Nemesis

Sine the Cartiers ar wealthy, why not make him a friend of the family (or family docter). It could be useful if (when) things go wrong for Nemesis and she needs medical help. If she does need medical help, who is she going to call? Everyone else believes her to be in a wheelchair, if Nemesis comes in and they identify her as her civilian identity, the who facade comes to naught. A point-person, contact, in the hospital, would be needed. And if that person is a family friend that strengthens the need to create the facade in the first place.

The relevance that he was also a victim of mob violence becomes a side issue not the prime motivation. .

Interesting. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. :)

So you're suggesting maybe buying him as a follower?

That's one reason I posted her. I know you guys would think of things that would slip my mind. :)

Interesting. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. :)

So you're suggesting maybe buying him as a follower?

That's one reason I posted her. I know you guys would think of things that would slip my mind. :)

Yes buy him as a follower.

(side note: as a undergraduate accountant to a accountant/auditor, "buying a doctor" seems oh so wrong!;) )

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Major Tom

Just out of curiousity, does Nemesis have a trademark signature that she leaves

behind at the scene of a well-deserved butt-kicking (you know, like the little

Scales of Justice models that the DC Comics Nemesis left behind wherever he'd

done his job)?

Major Tom :confused:

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Second Solo Campaign

Hmmm. Interesting. I look forward to hearing more someday. You have an ETA for the campaign yet?

Not yet. And I am seriously considering reviving the defunct Hard Times in the Big Easy campaign as a solo instead of starting a new one in Miami.

Not yet. And I am seriously considering reviving the defunct Hard Times in the Big Easy campaign as a solo instead of starting a new one in Miami.

So are you looking for more of a Dark Champions feel, or more four-color? I've got a specific character I'd love to find a home for, but he was built for the first Solo campaign and wouldn't necessarily translate well to a low-power setting. (I can certainly change some of his geographical information, but he definitely has superpowers). Just curious.

Guest Worldmaker

So are you looking for more of a Dark Champions feel' date=' or more four-color? I've got a specific character I'd love to find a home for, but he was built for the first Solo campaign and wouldn't necessarily translate well to a low-power setting. (I can certainly change some of his geographical information, but he definitely has superpowers). Just curious.[/quote']

Street level costumed crimefighters who are more "trained athlete" than super-powered vigilante. Daredevil would be about as superpowered as I would want the character to get, though stocking up on the "non-power" powers would be fine.

EDIT: But I don't want a ruthless gunbunny like the Comedian or the Punisher. Such characters bore me.

Street level costumed crimefighters who are more "trained athlete" than super-powered vigilante. Daredevil would be about as superpowered as I would want the character to get, though stocking up on the "non-power" powers would be fine.

EDIT: But I don't want a ruthless gunbunny like the Comedian or the Punisher. Such characters bore me.

Sounds interesting, Jack. But I guess the character I had in mind would be too super-powered for the campaign. Oh, well. When the time comes, I'll see if I get a different inspiration. Of course, I'm sure you'll get lots of applicants.

Just out of curiousity, does Nemesis have a trademark signature that she leaves behind at the scene of a well-deserved butt-kicking (you know, like the little Scales of Justice models that the DC Comics Nemesis left behind wherever he'd done his job)?

Major Tom :confused:

Never heard of the character. :) I was debating on having her leave a signature, but I was thinking more along the lines of something akin to a charm in the shape of the scales of justice. I'm not sure.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Worldmaker

Re: NemesisWell, here finally is the finished product. Rachel asked me to put it together for her, and I gladly obliged. What does everyone think?NemesisPlayer: Rachel Benson

Val Char Cost
18 STR 8
18 DEX 24
18 CON 16
10 BODY 0
18 INT 8
15 EGO 10
18 PRE 8
12 COM 1
5/13 PD 1
5/13 ED 1
5 SPD 22
10 REC 4
40 END 2
30 STUN 2
6" RUN02" SWIM03 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 107
Cost Power END
45 Superior Training: Multipower, 45-point reserve
1u 1) Expert at Reading People: Telepathy 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/4), Must Be Able to View Subject, Including Facial Expressions (-1/2), Surface Thoughts Only (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) 0
1u 2) Knows the Streets Like the Back of Her Hand: Mind Scan 6d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Character Cannot Attack Through Link (-1 1/2), Only vs. Newport City's Lowlifes (-1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) 0
3u 3) Unnaturally Stealthy: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); Sight Invisibility Requires Darkness, Shadow, or Cover (-1/4) 0
1u 4) Vanish In Plain Sight: Teleportation 10" (20 Active Points); Only to Vanish When No One Is Looking (-1/2), Only to Locations Nemesis Could Normally Travel To (-1/2), No Noncombat Teleportation (-1/4) 2
15 Billy Club: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots OAF (Billy Club; -1)
1u 1) Club: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 3
1u 2) Hanging Onto Projections: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Requires A STR Roll (-3/4), No Movement Allowed (-1/2), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) 0
1u 3) Hurled Club: Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) 3
1u 4) Swingline: Swinging 10" (10 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2) 1
5 Nemesis Costume: Elemental Control, 16-point powers, (8 Active Points); all slots OIF (Costume; -1/2)
9 1) Body Armor: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); Real Armor (-1/4) 0
5 2) Silhouette Distorting Cape: +4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1)
5 3) Stealth Suit: +8 with Stealth (16 Active Points)
15 Utility Belt Gadgets: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots OAF (Utility Belt Gadgets; -1)
1u 1) Advanced Lockpick Set: +4 with Lockpicking (8 Active Points)
1u 2) Bolos: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF (30 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4) [3 rc]
1u 3) Bomb Defusing Kit: +4 with Demolitions (8 Active Points)
1u 4) Climbing Rig: +2 with Climbing (4 Active Points)
1u 5) Crime Scene Kit: +2 with Criminology (4 Active Points)
1u 6) Flashlight: Sight Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (22 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Limited Range (10") (-1/4) [1 cc]
1u 7) Flash Pellets: Sight Group Flash 2d6 (10 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) [6]
1u 8) Laser Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Penetrating (x2; +1) (12 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 0
1u 9) Mini-Camera: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Visual Images Only (-1/2)
1u 10) Mini-Radios: Mind Link , One Specific Mind, Number of Minds (x4) (15 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing and Radio (-1/4) 0
1u 11) Mini-Recorder: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Sound Images Only (-1/2)
1u 12) Medical Kit: +2 with Paramedics (4 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1)
1u 13) Nightsight Monocular: (Total: 11 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Infrared Perception (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3) 0
1u 14) Painkillers: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0) (15 Active Points) [2 cc]
1u 15) Parabolic Minimike: +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group (9 Active Points) 0
1u 16) Rebreather: Life Support (Expanded Breathing; Immunity Asphyxiants), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (+0) (8 Active Points) [1 cc]
1u 17) Security Systems Analyzer: +2 with Security Systems (4 Active Points)
1u 18) Sleep Gas Pellets: Energy Blast 3d6, No Normal Defense ((Life Support, Self-Contained Breathing, or Appropriate Immunity); +1) (30 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) [6]
1u 19) Smoke Pellets: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius, Removed by High Winds or Rain (+0), 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0) (30 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4) [8 cc]
1u 20) Thermite Pellets: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2) (30 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) [6]
1u 21) Throwing Blades: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Ranged (+1/2) (15 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) [8]
Powers Cost: 130
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Kun Mai Li Dao Kung Fu
3 1) Armlock: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 38 STR for holding on
4 2) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 3) Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND
5 4) Headbutt: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 5 1/2d6 Strike
5 5) Kick/Knee Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 9 1/2d6 Strike
4 6) Pressure Point Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND
3 7) Tackle: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, 5 1/2d6 +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove
3 8) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 5 1/2d6 +v/5, Target Falls
1 9) Weapon Element: Clubs
8 10) +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
Martial Arts Cost: 40
Cost Skill
10 +2 with HTH Combat
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Acting 13-
3 AK: Newport City 13-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Concealment 13-
3 Contortionist 13-
3 Cryptography 13-
10 Defense Maneuver I-IV
3 Demolitions 13-
3 Electronics 13-
Everyman Skills (Cost: 0)
0 1) Acting 8-
1 2) AK: Newport City 11 or less
0 3) Climbing 8-
0 4) Computer Programming 8-
0 5) Concealment 8-
0 6) Conversation 8-
0 7) Deduction 8-
0 8) Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
0 9) Paramedics 8-
0 10) Persuasion 8-
0 11) PS: Student 11-
0 12) Shadowing 8-
0 13) Stealth 8-
0 14) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Forgery 13-
3 Jack of All Trades
2 1) PS: Assassin (3 Active Points) 13-
2 2) PS: Escape Artist (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3) PS: Forensic Pathologist (3 Active Points) 13-
3 Mechanics 13-
3 Mimicry 13-
Millionaire/Playboy Package (Cost: 3)
1 1) Bribery 8-
3 2) Conversation 13-
3 3) High Society 13-
3 4) KS: The Lifestyle of the Extremely Rich (INT Roll)
15 5) Money: Filthy Rich
-20 6) Monitored by the Media 14 or less
3 Paramedics 13-
3 Scholar
3 1) KS: Crime Scene Procedures (4 Active Points) 14-
2 2) KS: Criminal Law (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3) KS: Law Enforcement World (3 Active Points) 13-
2 4) KS: Organized Crime Groups (3 Active Points) 13-
2 5) KS: Street Gangs (3 Active Points) 13-
2 6) KS: World Supercriminals (3 Active Points) 13-
3 Sleight Of Hand 13-
Street Detective Package (Cost: 6)
3 1) Bugging 13-
5 2) Criminology 14-
3 3) Deduction 13-
3 4) Disguise 13-
3 5) Forensic Medicine 13-
3 6) Interrogation 13-
3 7) Knowledge Skill: Newport City's Criminal Underground 13-
3 8) Lockpicking 13-
3 9) Security Systems 13-
3 10) Shadowing 13-
3 11) Stealth 13-
3 12) Streetwise 13-
-15 13) Monitored by Local Law Enforcement 14 or less
-15 14) Social Limitation: Not Completely Trusted by the Public or the Police
3 Systems Operation 13-
3 Tactics 13-
15 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Hanggliding, Helicopters, Jetskis, Parachuting, Basic, Skiing (snow), Small Motorized Boats, Small Planes, Small Wind-Powered Boats, Snowboarding, Snowmobiles, Surfing, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Windsurfing
Martial Arts Skills
3 1) Breakfall 13-
2 2) KS: Kung Fu 11-
-9 3) Martial Arts Package Bonus
Skills Cost: 121
Cost Perk
2 Contact: The Weaponsmith (Contact has useful Skills or resources) 8-
Perks Cost: 2
Val Disadvantages
5 Dependent NPC: Andres Manieux, Devoted Servant 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
5 Distinctive Features: Leg Braces (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Hunted: Newport City Police Department 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Newport City's Organized Crime Groups 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)
15 Physical Limitation: Weirdness Magnet (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
20 Psychological Limitation: Cannot Stand By and Let Evil Occur (Common, Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Grim and Humorless (Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Obsessively Driven By Her Past To Become a Hero; Cannot Ever Give Up the Mission (Common, Total)
20 Psychological Limitation: Emily Cartier is Someone Nemesis Pretends to Be During the Daylight (Common, Total)
5 Reputation: Emily Cartier... Pretty, But Dumb as a Box of Hammers, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Idenity (Emily Cartier) (Frequently, Major)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 250Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 400

Height: 1.78 m Hair: Blue
Weight: 73.00 kg Eyes: Black
Appearance: Nemesis is a grim figure dressed entirely in black, with a bright red representation of the scales of justice on her chest. She wears a mask that leaves her long black hair exposed, as well as her mouth and chin. Completing her outfit is a long black cape. As Emily, she wears her hair primly pulled back. Emily tends to wear long skirts and dresses to partially cover her leg braces. She’s never seen without her crutches.Personality: Nemesis is a grim, humorless woman. Protecting the innocent is her life, literally. Emily Cartier is the façade in her mind, useful for keeping people from finding out who she really is and having society contacts that prove invaluable in a town whose corruption is so pervasive. As Emily, she adopts a light, slightly bubbleheaded young lady who’s into charities and fundraising, but doesn’t seem to know what the big important issues are. As Nemesis, she’s a very intense woman whose obsessive devotion to her cause has caused people to be frightened of her. Nemesis likes people to be frightened of her. While she won’t kill unless absolutely necessary, she won’t shed any tears over a dead criminal, either.Quote:"Not in my town, scum!"Background: The Cartiers were an American success story. Thomas was a successful businessman, heading a multinational conglomerate. His wife, Martha, was a renowned surgeon. They had three children, all very bright, ambitious children. Their oldest child, Emily, was a gymnast considered by many to be a front runner to make the US Olympic team. Thomas, Jr. showed a great scientific potential at a young age. Bruce was a talented artist, despite being only ten years old. They were the social elite of Newport City, until their world was destroyed.

The Cartiers were celebrating Emily’s 15th birthday with a small dinner at an exclusive Italian restaurant. All the Cartiers were in attendance, as was their butler, Pierre, at Emily’s request. It was a pleasant dinner that turned frighteningly wrong. The cake had just been brought out when several men walked in, calmly lifted automatic weapons and started firing. If that wasn’t bad enough, several men appeared from a back room and returned the fire. Screams filled the restaurant as patrons were caught in the crossfire, including the Cartiers. Emily felt a flash of pain in her lower back as she dove under the table, taking her youngest brother Bruce with her. She was horrified to see his surprised expression, wide open vacant eyes and the blood covering his shirt. She gritted her teeth as the gunfire continued, laying perfectly still and weeping over her brother’s body as she saw her family fall to the ground, dead. She was still laying with Bruce, crying, when the police arrived to clean up the carnage.

While Emily was laying in the hospital, in traction, Pierre’s brother Andres visited her, giving her someone to share her grief with. Someone who understood the pain she was going through. Emily had no family left, neither did Andres. It was in the hospital that she looked Andres in the eye and swore she wouldn’t rest until her family was avenged and Newport City was safe for other families.

Emily wasn’t able to attend her parents’ funeral due to her injuries, which was yet another reason in her mind to avenge them. She was released in a wheelchair for the reading of her parents’ will. At the reading, it was discovered that in the event of the Cartier parents’ death, Pierre would become the children’s legal guardian, Andres being named if Pierre wasn’t able to do so. Thus formed a relationship that has endured to the present day.

She was another month in the hospital with daily therapy before being released. The Olympic hopeful walked out of the hospital on crutches, with both legs in braces. What the public didn’t know, and would never find out, is that her doctor sympathized with her dilemma and had lost someone to mob violence when he was younger, so he’d made sure her records showed that she didn’t respond to the physical therapy as had been hoped. The fact of the matter was that she’d shown remarkable progress, exhibiting a determination that wouldn’t be denied.

With Andres shielding her from outside interference, Emily retired to her family’s penthouse to begin preparing herself for her mission. She’d been taking martial arts since a young age as a means of defending herself and helping with her conditioning and she continued her training in the martial arts and gymnastics on her own, working steadily for six hours a day. The rest of her time, she spent studying many subjects that would help her. Forensics, criminology, security systems, chemistry and many other subjects, bringing to bear a keen intelligence and an ability to focus that most had overlooked in her due to her athletic ability.

Finally, she decided that she’d learned all she could on her own, so she set out to find the finest teachers in the world to gain the benefit of their expertise. She disguised herself, using false names, as she sought the tutelage of the best the world had to offer.

A hidden Ninja temple in Japan – She sat stoically, listening to the tirade. The master was upset. He’d tasked her to sneak into a room and poison someone’s tea while they were drinking it, then sneak back out, all without being noticed. She’d balked. She wouldn’t kill an innocent person just to pass a test. The master proceeded to lecture her, roundly criticizing her Western sensibilities, telling her she didn’t have the courage or the determination needed to be a ninja. He paused and lifted his cup to his lips. Her hand shot out and grabbed his wrist, stopping the cup just short of his mouth. She brought her other hand up slowly, showing the ninja master the empty vial of poison.

The jungles of Nicaragua – The air was hot and heavy, pressing in on the people in the makeshift camp. Sweat plastered her shirt to her back as she finished putting the automatic rifle together before whipping the blindfold off and taking aim at a nearby tree. There was a satisfying click as the hammer fell on the empty chamber. Pedro looked at her and grinned around his big cigar, his strong yellowed teeth showing prominently. “You put together every gun we have blindfolded. You can arm and disarm bombs faster than Jorge. You even taught us a thing or two about sneaking around. I can’t teach you any more,†he paused thoughtfully. “Join us. It will be a glorious revolution!â€

She reached into her pack and withdrew a bundle wrapped in plastic, then tossed it to Pedro as she shouldered the pack and walked away without a backward glance.

The streets of Paris – The night air was cool and damp, fog shrouding the streets, streetlights looking like small moons, their nimbus only showing their location without lighting the way. The dark shadow ahead of her walked along, unaware of her presence. Her Mossad trainer had given her a mission to kill this man, an international terrorist. She crept along behind, keeping her distance, every sense alert. She lost him when he rounded a corner and hurried to catch up. He was gone. A frown appeared on her face as she glanced around, moving forward stealthily. She turned to look over her shoulder to feel the cold barrel of a gun press against her forehead and the unmistakable sound of a hammer being drawn back.

“Bang! You’re dead!†the man said with a thick French accent. “Now, cherie, tell me what you did wrong.â€

She sighed in frustration.

Finally deeming herself ready, she returned home and proceeded to assemble the tools she would need for her mission. With money not being a problem, she carefully researched the best weaponsmiths and gadgeteers known. She also set up blind trusts and dummy corporations to leave as little a trail as possible for others to backtrack her. She found out about Stefan Tischler, the Weaponsmith. After researching him, she realized that the man who supplied villains their weaponry would be an ideal, and ironic, choice to supply hers. She arranged a meeting with him and told him what she wanted. The old man, seeing the irony in this young woman coming to him for her weaponry to fight crime, named a price with a twinkle in his eye. She agreed without hesitation. The business relationship continues to this day.

Once she was outfitted, she chose the name Nemesis and started her mission.

Powers/Tactics: Nemesis is a detective and a martial artist with no super-powers who uses a wide variety of gadgets in her war on crime. Her battlesuit has a utility belt, as well as various other gadgets built into it. When she is out as Emily, she keeps a set of lockpicks and a couple of other surprises in her leg braces and crutches, just in case.Campaign Use: Nemesis is a player character in the Solo campaign.

If anyone would like to watch this character in action' date=' send a blank email to [email']solo-subscribe@globalguardians.com[/email]

I'm sure Rachel would love the audience. :yes:

The campaign has not yet started, but it should be starting shortly.

lol I just posted a short intro, as a matter of fact.

Guest Skaramine

If anyone would like to watch this character in action' date=' send a blank email to [email']solo-subscribe@globalguardians.com[/email]

I'm sure Rachel would love the audience. :yes:

The campaign has not yet started, but it should be starting shortly.

Hmm. Audience. Rachel.

I thought KAra was the exhibitionist... ;)

Looks awesome guys!

If I might say one thing though...*waits for the debris to be thrown*...in her background, Nemesis is an olympic level gymnast who has been training much of her life for it, correct?

Now perhaps as a result of the wounds she took when her family was gunned down she might be a bit rusty but I think a few levels with Acrobatics and/or Breakfall are warrented. Ofcourse its just my 2cents and she's already clocked in at 400pts so I'll hush now.