The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

What in Hades is with the drivers here' date=' intersection with flashing red lights, I was crossing on foot, young ladt runs the lights, if I hadn't noticed her she would have hit me. She didn't even slow down. She just kept talking on her cellphone.[/quote']

"What did you say? Sorry, I was distracted by this moron crossing the street in front of me. He was yelling at me! How rude! Can't he see I'm on the phone?!"

Thank you ... this is the first time I've gone this road. My father succumbed to cancer in 2002, but it was an exceedingly aggressive tumor and he was dead within 4 days of his admission to the hospital. That was more or less a thunderbolt strike. This seems likely to be a longer-term thing, months in place of days, with that much more pain for all involved. My wife's going up to see her tomorrow (she lives 90 minute drive plus a half-hour ferry trip plus a wait for the ferry away). I expect a number of such trips in the coming time.

We'll see how it goes. While I like my mother-in-law' date=' I'm not torn up by this nearly so much as my wife (for obvious reasons), and it's the stress on her that I'm really concerned about.[/quote']

I understand that. My wife wound up putting some life stuff on hold and wound up flying down to visit her mom pretty often during that time. We had gotten engaged two months prior to the diagnosis and her mom made us promise not to postpone the wedding, though we did wind up putting the honeymoon off for an extra year. Just being supportive and listening to whatever she wants to talk about, but then you probably already know that.

My best thoughts, too, Cancer. My wife and I have just started having to deal with our parents' various health issues, but fortunately it has been relatively minor.

I forget, do you have any children? If so, how are they dealing with this?

I have two, ages 13 and 15. They know that Grandma is ill and seriously so, though they haven't been informed of details (because we have so few to pass along ... Grandma has not been entirely forthcoming with information). I haven't perceived clear manifestations of their emotional distress yet, but I have been snowed this week with work and with my wife. I know that situation can't go on, but in a day, approximately, the mid-term rush will abate some and I can spend more time with them.