The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Both shows resulted in stupid people doing some of the stupid things the shows showed.

"Stupid is as stupid does." :winkgrin: But seriously, stupid people do stupid stuff not because of a TV show but because, well, the're stupid. And as such can be inspired* to "aim low" by what is clearly commedy/satire. And that is out of the control of those who make said commedy/satire.

*There is also the peer-pressure/"fad-of-the-day" component of influence in young people's actions, imo.

For anyone who knows those things are stupid' date=' the show can be funny and is redundant.[/quote']

Well, I'd think that almost anything that has gone on for 16 seasons can get redundant. Look at soap operas.

My own personal experience is that the shows provided no preventive effect;

That wasn't the point of South Park (imo).

The pattern:

Wife is visibly annoyed/upset/frustrated over something.

I ask 'what's wrong?'

She responds with a hiss of air and a dismissive wave of her hands.

Data received: Whatever it is, it's my fault, and I'm a douche for not knowing what it is.

History has shown that no matter what I attempt now, I can only make it worse.

Conclusion: Time to hide in my bedroom as damage mitigation. While doing nothing will make it worse, it will be less bad than if I actually tried something active.

The pattern:

Wife is visibly annoyed/upset/frustrated over something.

I ask 'what's wrong?'

She responds with a hiss of air and a dismissive wave of her hands.

Data received: Whatever it is, it's my fault, and I'm a douche for not knowing what it is.

History has shown that no matter what I attempt now, I can only make it worse.

Conclusion: Time to hide in my bedroom as damage mitigation. While doing nothing will make it worse, it will be less bad than if I actually tried something active.

...and the women who act this way complain that men are "poor communicators." Feh.

You have my undying sympathies and moral support, CC. Sorry to say, I don't have any concrete advice for you. Nothing constructive anyway.

...and the women who act this way complain that men are "poor communicators." Feh.

You have my undying sympathies and moral support, CC. Sorry to say, I don't have any concrete advice for you. Nothing constructive anyway.

Tell her to grow up and be straight with you. That'll help. ;)

This plumb sucks.

My girlfriend is moving back to the mountains from whence she came (more or less).

we're not breaking up, per se, but the distance is going to put a serious strain on things.

She's doing it because the little slice of suburb life has stranded me in is seriously depressing her, and I approve of her need to go get a (new) life, but man are there a lot of things I'm going to have to sort out in the next couple of weeks, all while swallowing down the vast huge ball of fear and depression of my own.

On the plus side, maybe this'll finally give me enough space to get my stuff sorted out.

This plumb sucks.

And I'm so wonky right now, the first thing through my mind was "Yeah, I hate it when they don't follow gravity like they're supposed to."

Edit: I'm trying to cheer you up with a bit of humor, rather than share my own track record with long-distance relationships.

They're doing construction on the Unit next door we share a wall with. The thumping they're doing now is shaking our whole house.

"I was walking home one night and a guy hammering on a roof called me a paranoid little weirdo. In morse code."

-Emo Phillips

And I'm so wonky right now, the first thing through my mind was "Yeah, I hate it when they don't follow gravity like they're supposed to."

Edit: I'm trying to cheer you up with a bit of humor, rather than share my own track record with long-distance relationships.

Heh, with your help I figured out what "Plumb sucks" means...

No matter which way you turn, or where you go, it still swings back to suck

Thanks , m'man, I appreciate the thoughts. I'm like, a king with LTR's, but this is still gonna suck.

I recall being stationed at Osan AB, Korea when they were doing construction in the open field between my barracks and the base gym. The piledrivers were the worst, since it sounded almost as if they were hitting the building. A ground-conducted *bang* preceded the airborne sound of the piledriver by about 1/2 second. Try sleeping through that when you've finished a 12-hour shift, you're tired, frazzled, and have to get some sleep in the 11½ hours remaining before your next 12-hour shift, begins. Miserable time. You have my sympathy.

So we got a quote from the vendor for three years of maintenance.

We marked it up a couple points and passed it to the customer. They gave us a PO.

We went back to the vendor to put through the maintenance order.

Vendor says, "Sorry, that quote was for one year of the three years of maintenance. Even though the line item reads 'SA PREF AURA MAINT 3YR'. So you don't owe us $67k, you owe us $200k."

Hilarity is underway.