The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

As someone who barely eked out a 3.5, I'd just like to say "Go to hell, Samuraiko". ;)

I say go for the faculty job, especially if there is any chance of tenure. Tenure is like the Holy Grail of job security; you pretty much have to commit a felony to lose your job after that.

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, my undergraduate GPA upon graduated was 2.98 (it improved to 3.104 after I graduated and retook three classes and raised my GPA). That's what I get for f***ing around in college my first four years...

I'm hoping to get the faculty position. Job date closes March 4th, which gives me enough time to run to Tucson and grab several copies of my transcripts, as well as possibly nabbing a letter of recommendation from my advisors!

My real goal is teaching at full university level (something I'd have aspired to at the U of Arizona while still there, but Tucson didn't have enough job opportunities for hubby mine), but that option is still open once I go back to school for the Ph.D. I graduated well enough to write my own ticket at almost any university once I go back to college.

The job-hunt goes ever on and on...

Down from the door where it began...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

I don't really know if this belongs here -- especially in light of some of the real problems posted above -- but I don't know a better place to put it and I don't want to start a new thread just for this.

It's a feeling that's been coming on slowly for several weeks, but it's finally come into focus. I'm feeling rather disaffected with something here on the NGD; one of the symptoms is I've got 3 people on Ignore, and during the last few days have come within a hair's breadth of putting a couple more on there...one of them just a few minutes ago.

I've tried to make it my policy for quite a while to point out things we have in common as a community, and that since the outside world gives us enough grief as-is, we should be circling the wagons, not taking up arms against ourselves. It's been well-enough realized by various people that I've tried to do that, that some time back I got christened "NGD's Jimminy Cricket". I liked it, made it my "title" -- the catch-phrase by the avatar.

What has come into focus for me is that I don't much feel like a "Jimminy Cricket" these days. My coming close to putting a couple of people on Ignore this last week, as well as a time or two in the last month or so when I was part of the problem in a flame-fest instead of part of the solution, rather points this up. I'll say I'm feeling less tolerant these days, instead of what I'm really feeling, because I'm not sure but what I wanted to say might be another sign of feeling a touch more irritable than usual.

This isn't a post so much about feeling cranky (despite the previous paragraph) as it is about feeling a bit sad and disaffected. I don't intend to 'go on hiatus' or anything -- though my time spent here has been rather less lately -- but every time I see one of my posts on the screen, that little "NGD's Jimminy Cricket" seems to be mocking me.

"NGD's Jimminy Cricket" has got to go.

So...I'm almost afraid to do this, especially in the "cranky" thread...but does anyone have any serious suggestions for something to replace it? I'm not sure right now I trust myself to be objective enough to properly evaluate a replacement title I might come up with myself.

:straight:

I don't really know if this belongs here -- especially in light of some of the real problems posted above -- but I don't know a better place to put it and I don't want to start a new thread just for this.

It's a feeling that's been coming on slowly for several weeks, but it's finally come into focus. I'm feeling rather disaffected with something here on the NGD; one of the symptoms is I've got 3 people on Ignore, and during the last few days have come within a hair's breadth of putting a couple more on there...one of them just a few minutes ago.

I've tried to make it my policy for quite a while to point out things we have in common as a community, and that since the outside world gives us enough grief as-is, we should be circling the wagons, not taking up arms against ourselves. It's been well-enough realized by various people that I've tried to do that, that some time back I got christened "NGD's Jimminy Cricket". I liked it, made it my "title" -- the catch-phrase by the avatar.

What has come into focus for me is that I don't much feel like a "Jimminy Cricket" these days. My coming close to putting a couple of people on Ignore this last week, as well as a time or two in the last month or so when I was part of the problem in a flame-fest instead of part of the solution, rather points this up. I'll say I'm feeling less tolerant these days, instead of what I'm really feeling, because I'm not sure but what I wanted to say might be another sign of feeling a touch more irritable than usual.

This isn't a post so much about feeling cranky (despite the previous paragraph) as it is about feeling a bit sad and disaffected. I don't intend to 'go on hiatus' or anything -- though my time spent here has been rather less lately -- but every time I see one of my posts on the screen, that little "NGD's Jimminy Cricket" seems to be mocking me.

"NGD's Jimminy Cricket" has got to go.

So...I'm almost afraid to do this, especially in the "cranky" thread...but does anyone have any serious suggestions for something to replace it? I'm not sure right now I trust myself to be objective enough to properly evaluate a replacement title I might come up with myself.

:straight:

How about Sperm Bank? :D

Sorry, Doc.

Uhm... it wasn't me, was it?

What? My feeling 'disaffected' or my feeling more like belonging in the 'cranky' thread? In any case, don't worry...you haven't done anything to get under my skin (and I'm sorta wonderin' what you think you might have done... :think: )

The 'belonging more in the cranky thread' was in response to Mightybec's (rather predictable) style of 'answer'.

Guest Skaramine

1 - Snappin' on Worldmaker... again.

2 - No duh. He's just trying to make you laugh. It's the thought that counts... well, not the thought he inserted into your head. :-\

*wanders around the thread giving hugs to those who need it*

Wish I could do more to help, guys...

*holds up a bag of M&Ms*

I'll share if it'll make you smile! And this is a major sacrifice on my part, I'll have you know...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

I think I need a few...

I've also got ginger ale, but I ain't sharing that... that's for my tummy.

Sorry, Skar, I keep forgetting you can't have any. And I don't keep anything with Nutrasweet or whatnot in the house 'coz I'm violently allergic to it. Hmmm...

*draws upon her magical powers and a bowl of fresh fruit appears in her outstretched hand*

Will this do?

*peeks in to see what's in there*

Dibs if I find a pomegranate...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Why is it people keep on making the same mistakes I've told them a million times not to make? Even the ones I trained are doing it. Now that HQ is about to pull a quality review, they should be paying attention to the details. I've been cooking the books for so long, I'm getting job offers from the Gambino family! :angst:

Tell me about it. I gave a Powerpoint presentation last week about the new regs we have to comply with to get reimbursements on our marketing costs from the OEM, to comply with federal regs. Instantly the salespeople started asking about different ways to get around them. Can we pad this? Can we falsify that? I had to conclude my presentation with, "Look, I'd like to minimize the amount of actual fraud our company commits."

1 - Snappin' on Worldmaker... again.

2 - No duh. He's just trying to make you laugh. It's the thought that counts... well, not the thought he inserted into your head. :-\

Yeah, I know...and I'm not really more cranky than before because of it. I was just hoping the first suggestion would be a serious one, not a "Mightybec Special."

*draws upon her magical powers and a bowl of fresh fruit appears in her outstretched hand*

Will this do?

*peeks in to see what's in there*

Dibs if I find a pomegranate...

Being a diabetic, I'll have to pass on the fruit just like I will the M&Ms (not that I don't appreciate the sacrifice, mind you) unless there are some strawberries in there. Ah, strawberries! The one fruit a diabetic can eat with near impunity! I love xylitol! :)

Pomegranates...wow...been ages since I had one. I love the taste, but it takes so long and a lot of finicky work for very little return in actual volume, but the flavor...!

How about Sperm Bank? :D

Y'know, given the various goings-on, and Mightybec saying he needed a few of Michelle's very generously-offered M&Ms, maybe it's time I "chipped in" to give him a smile as well (if I can).

Here's to you, MB, and your attempt to cheer me up. :cheers:

I have now changed my title as you suggested -- though if Ben (or anyone) thinks it's inappropriate, I'll change it to something else.

Just in case, 'bec, you might want to "get it while its hot", so to speak! :)

I say go for the faculty job' date=' especially if there is any chance of tenure. Tenure is like the Holy Grail of job security; you pretty much have to commit a felony to lose your job after that.[/quote']Old Man, can you talk to Zornwil about tenure. I keep telling him I (his aide) has it, bt he seems not to understand the word.

Thanks.