Why does Nighthawk always get depicted getting the crap kicked out of him?

John515

Re: Why does Nighthawk always get depicted getting the crap kicked out of him?

RE: Tom & Jerry. Tom was the cat, Jerry was the mouse (and Spike was the dog). Tom *usually* ended the cartoon on the short end of the stick -- but not always. There were actually a few eps they ended up 'equal', either equally bad (the imfamous "Let's be buddies" ep) or equally good (Spike's first ep).

RE: Seeker. To me it was tradition to make him the victim of any rules example I made on the boards. It's kind of like the "hating mimes" thing, it's part of the fun. I even surnamed my dog (Buster Seeker) after him.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say, though, I don't remember Seeker getting some of the more *humiliating* thrashings that Nighthawk gets in USPDB. Beaten up by children? Attacked by diner settings? Having a chunk of building fall on him thanks to Deus ex Machina Man or whatever that luck-powered villain was called?

That's because Nighthawk is Seeker's Secret ID. You see Seeker was sick of getting the crap beat out of him. So, he created a new persona like that Bat guy. Tough, menacing, dark... He never noticed that Bat Guy only fought normal guys, never those super shooting rays out of their hands folks. So, he gets to have his ass handed to him in his new persona now. Poor guy, never gets a break.

Perhaps he should retire, or move to Hudson city where a guy with his talents could go far. At least as long as he stays away from the Harbinger of Justice.

This is my theory and I am sticking too it. :P

Tasha :fear:

Heh, my thoughts exactly. Seeker and NightHawk are one and the same! :winkgrin:

I gotta say' date=' though, I don't remember Seeker getting some of the more *humiliating* thrashings that Nighthawk gets in USPDB. Beaten up by children? ...[/quote']

Anybody else notice the odd pattern the children took? Methinks somebody snuck a Charles Schultz homage into USPDB :D

I thought the cat was Tom' date=' and the mouse was Jerry.[/quote']

Doh! Yeh. I originally typed "Why does Jerry always beat up Tom the Cat", then I edited the sentance wrong.

This is an amusing thread.

I have Nhawk put into a wall because it was a small element and showed Ogre's power on TUB. But I wasn't asked to do it.

I WAS asked to have the gargoyle crushing Nhawk to show "Luck" powers for that particular section of the Ultimate Powers.

Also, with Eric Lofgren's cutlery vs. Nhawk.... Nhawk is dodging all that crap. That is pretty spectacular and I wouldn't call that Nhawk getting a whoopin'.

But I find it funny that no one gave 2 shakes when I drew Ogre using Defender as a soccer ball in Millennium city... ..

And for the record, I think I can make Nhawk look cool. Is it a Ninja Science Team Gatchatman homage? You betchya. I don't mind drawing him. He is actually pretty easy to draw. I find him a HECK lot more interesting to draw than Seeker with those ridiculous pants and bare chest and bandolier... hated drawing Seeker.

And if I get the chance, I will try to show Nhawk kicking ass, instead of ass getting kicked.

This is an amusing thread.

I have Nhawk put into a wall because it was a small element and showed Ogre's power on TUB. But I wasn't asked to do it.

I WAS asked to have the gargoyle crushing Nhawk to show "Luck" powers for that particular section of the Ultimate Powers.

Also, with Eric Lofgren's cutlery vs. Nhawk.... Nhawk is dodging all that crap. That is pretty spectacular and I wouldn't call that Nhawk getting a whoopin'.

But I find it funny that no one gave 2 shakes when I drew Ogre using Defender as a soccer ball in Millennium city... ..

And for the record, I think I can make Nhawk look cool. Is it a Ninja Science Team Gatchatman homage? You betchya. I don't mind drawing him. He is actually pretty easy to draw. I find him a HECK lot more interesting to draw than Seeker with those ridiculous pants and bare chest and bandolier... hated drawing Seeker.

And if I get the chance, I will try to show Nhawk kicking ass, instead of ass getting kicked.

You're a great artist but it's going to be hard to convince us that Nighthawk could beat up the "staples" in CKC. It's not the head gear being cool or not for me. It's the inappropriateness of the head gear for a "street level" hero. I fully expect him to knock himself off his feet chasing the bad guys inside tenements as his headgear catches the top of the doorway.

To be fair, none of the other Champions could do much against the "staples" of the CKC, either, unless you mean specifically matched fights against certain Ultimates. Nighthawk wouldn't really do any worse against Doctor Destroyer, or even Dark Seraph, than any other Champion.

To be fair' date=' none of the other Champions could do much against the "staples" of the CKC, either, unless you mean specifically matched fights against certain Ultimates. Nighthawk wouldn't really do any worse against Doctor Destroyer, or even Dark Seraph, than any other Champion.[/quote']With Nighthawk, there's no need to be 'fair'. It's like he's asking for it. He might as well just be drawn with a "KICK ME" sign taped to his back;)

I think it's the flavor text on that one that shows Nighthawk up. The cutlery guy escaped after blinding 'Hawk with a flurry of napkins. For a guy like him that's gotta hurt more than an actual pounding. (I mean, considering he went all Dark and Brooding because, among other things, he got a facial scar that reduced him from astonishingly handsome to merely okay-looking, I suspect Nighthawk doesn't take setbacks well.)

....And for the record' date=' I think I can make Nhawk look cool....[/quote']

..which is really more of a testament to your skill as an artist than his strength as a character--hell, you've even managed to make DEFENDER look cool....

**loraxxx makes beautiful, one-point testicle dismount**

why does nighthawk get the crap beat out of him so much?--mostly, because

HE SUCKS!!!!!! :tonguewav

You're a great artist but it's going to be hard to convince us that Nighthawk could beat up the "staples" in CKC. It's not the head gear being cool or not for me. It's the inappropriateness of the head gear for a "street level" hero. I fully expect him to knock himself off his feet chasing the bad guys inside tenements as his headgear catches the top of the doorway.

The guy is a Champion. NightHawk is not, I repeat NOT, a Street Level superhero. Yes, he IS supose to repersent the 'street level Batman guy', but let's face it, his design WAS based on Gatchman (basicly take G2 Joe The Condor and Batman, and put him into a cosmic blender, just like The Powerpuff Girls are Sailor Moon and Supergirl placed through the same blender). And Gatchman is not a street level hero team. Thay destroyed mecha for gash sakes!

Which reminds me...I am going to have to do my version of Galactor one of theas days (the infamous Talon group, 'lead' by Malakore and Xanosynn, with there gane of genetly created goons, giant mecha, and brainwashed scientist).

Steriaca.

That's because Nighthawk is Seeker's Secret ID. You see Seeker was sick of getting the crap beat out of him. So' date=' he created a new persona like that Bat guy. Tough, menacing, dark... He never noticed that Bat Guy only fought normal guys, never those super shooting rays out of their hands folks. So, he gets to have his ass handed to him in his new persona now. Poor guy, never gets a break. [/quote']

Oh no Tasha, you let the cat out of the bag! Now Seeker/Nighthawk will be forced to buy off his Secret ID.

..which is really more of a testament to your skill as an artist than his strength as a character--hell, you've even managed to make DEFENDER look cool....

**loraxxx makes beautiful, one-point testicle dismount**

why does nighthawk get the crap beat out of him so much?--mostly, because

HE SUCKS!!!!!! :tonguewav

:mad: Hey I actually like Nighthawk and have thought about actually playing him someday. Id modify him a bit and I agree that scarring isnt tragic enough for his origin but he works as a Batman rip and he looks damn kewl an the cover of G&G. :tonguewav

Oh no Tasha' date=' you let the cat out of the bag! Now Seeker/Nighthawk will be forced to buy off his Secret ID.[/quote']

If Seeker was his secret ID, that would explain his dark mood.

The guy is a Champion. NightHawk is not, I repeat NOT, a Street Level superhero. Yes, he IS supose to repersent the 'street level Batman guy', but let's face it, his design WAS based on Gatchman (basicly take G2 Joe The Condor and Batman, and put him into a cosmic blender, just like The Powerpuff Girls are Sailor Moon and Supergirl placed through the same blender). And Gatchman is not a street level hero team. Thay destroyed mecha for gash sakes!

Which reminds me...I am going to have to do my version of Galactor one of theas days (the infamous Talon group, 'lead' by Malakore and Xanosynn, with there gane of genetly created goons, giant mecha, and brainwashed scientist).

Steriaca.

Blending Batman and Gatchaman, not good.

:mad: Hey I actually like Nighthawk and have thought about actually playing him someday. Id modify him a bit and I agree that scarring isnt tragic enough for his origin but he works as a Batman rip and he looks damn kewl an the cover of G&G. :tonguewav

ahhh!--so you agree that he has a lousy origin, needs stat enhancement, and only looks good SOME of the time....? :straight:

....thank you for your assistance--i rest my case....

But does it count as a goal when the kicker puts the "ball" through the support post instead of the net? :winkgrin:

Come to think of it, 4th edition Defender got his clock cleaned once or twice -- the cover of Hero System Almanac 1 is definitely a "Better Get Maaco"* moment. Maybe people don't complain about those because Defender's got armor to take the beating for him?

*(For posters outside the US, "Maaco" is the name of a chain of auto repair shops. Their TV ads follow the pattern of showing a minor auto accident and one person involved in it saying "Better get Maaco".)