Creepy Pics.

Mightybec

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Creepy Pics.

Sometimes I hate Steven King.

When I was a kid, clowns were funny and safe and even....comforting.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says we can't blame it all on King

Fear of clowns was fairly common before Stephen King. When I was three, I had a stuffed (cloth) clown named "Bobo". I didn't like to look at his face, it was made of vacuum-formed plastic and colorfully painted. When I was put to bed at night I'd push Bobo away and put my head under the covers.

That same year my grandmother took me to see a circus and when I saw the clowns I thought they were funny until I got a better look at them. Their faces were pasty-white with red accents and awful, bright colors; colors you don't often see on unbruised flesh. I sat closer to grandma and looked away. I didn't want them coming over to get in my face like I saw them doing to other kids. I really wasn't okay with clowns until I was at least seven, possibly even older.

ETA: I wasn't afraid of Bozo the clown, but Bozo was a person who talked. That "no-communicating-by-talking" that some clowns do really creeped me out.

Dean Winchester: I know what you're thinking Sam. Why did it have to be clowns?

Sam Winchester: Oh, give me a break.

Dean Winchester: [laughs] You didn't think I remember, do you? Come on, you still bust out crying when you see Ronald McDonald on the television.

Sam Winchester: At least I'm not afraid of flying.

Dean Winchester: Planes crash!

Sam Winchester: And apparently clowns kill.

Guest Celt

Man' date=' what parallel earth did you spend your childhood in? :D[/quote']

Red Skelton's? For me clowns didn't get creepifying until I started getting older. When I was a child, they were fun.

I never freaked over hobo, tramp, or bum clowns like Emmett Kelley or Freddy the Freeloader, or rodeo clowns. It was the whiteface clowns that scared me (with the exception of Bozo, mentioned above, mostly because I saw him every day on TV). It was sort of like with Santa Claus; I could enjoy them from a distance but feared their gaze for some reason. The big red noses and exaggerated mouth may have given the clown a predatory look to my childish eyes.

Clowns article on Wikipedia