"Grond smash!" and other Grond plots

Kirby

Re: "Grond smash!" and other Grond plots

I remember fondly the Grond vs Ripper scenario. I had just gotten a new toy at work' date=' a beautiful full-color laser plotter. My coworkers were using it to print full-size engineering documents. Fools! That kind of hardware deserves a real task...GIANT STREET MAP!!![/quote']

So, dude . . .

. . . POST THE GIANT STREET MAP! WOOT!

Grondette - a female is abducted by Telios who mutates her into a Grond-like clone. Will she be able to survive after the process? What will happen if Grond finds out? If he does, what happens if (when?) she dies soon?

Ack! I revive this thread and you respond to an old' date=' very old Mightybec post? Oh, the humanity! Oh, the embarressment I feel; for shame!

Oops! Sorry Kirby!

My plot contributions:

Grond Smash, Grond Crash

At a come one, come all televised wrestlin' match, a masked wrestler who unwisely calls himself "The Grond" challanges any would-be wrestling champions for the belt. Grond crashes the party to pound the puny human who dares to use his name!

I ran this at a con and it was a huge smash, er, success. :D

The fight happens in a small area [2x2 hex] with normal people completely surrounding the small arena. the heroes need to stop the mayhem before someone gets killed. To make things easier, assume the ring and mat are super-enforced for super-powered wreslting bouts.

And from my brother's games:

Grond Not Happy!

Grond is calmly and cooly superleaping from one town to the next committing crimes in an unusually intelligent manner. No one has been able to stop him. The army is tracking him and sending Grond's coordinates to the hero group. The heroes catch up to Grond in a wilderness setting. When they engage him in battle, they find Grond's tactics are far superior than normal, yet he won't speak to the heroes. If a Mentalist tries to read Grond's mind they will pick up a wild berserker rage and nonstop screaming. Very puzzling, indeed.

If Grond is taken down, a desolid mentalist who is inside Grond's body will try to escape. (Sorry, don't know the gal's name or exact powers, but she can take over a person and wear the body like a suit, while the original owner of said body can do nothing but look on. Maybe I can talk my brother into posting a write-up.)

Army of Grond

Telios gets ahold of Grond's DNA and clones an army, which he uses for his nefarious schemes, such as in destroying oil refineries in an attempt to blackmail various countries around the world. The Grond-clones are created with destruction devices (collars) so they can be eliminated by some high-tech signal when Telios needs them no longer. There is also a redundant chemical alternative in case the heroes get the collars off one or more of the Grond-clones. If the Grond-clones go without said chemical for too long, they die.

Meanwhile, the real Grond is sitting in confort in one of Telios' Canadian havens, eating fine food and happily playing video games on a specially made, titanium Xbox (Or PS2, if you'd rather use that).

Mags

Oops! Sorry Kirby!

My plot contributions:

Grond Smash, Grond Crash

Oooh. :)

Grond Not Happy!

I like this one! :yes:

Army of Grond

:thumbup: This is definitely my favorite of the three. (May have to do with me having been in the Army and Grond being my favorite Champions character ever!)

Thanks, Mags!

May have to do with me having been in the Army and Grond being my favorite Champions character ever!

Grond is my favorite villain, too. In fact, I have brought out Grond more often than any other villain, to this date. ;)

His battle cry is, "Grond not happy!"

Mainly because he's usually pissed off and rampaging around the place when the heroes encounter him. ;)

I forgot to add the time when we had a danger-room scenario and Grond (a program of Grond, rather) was held in a TK in the center of the room. He would have stayed there, too, if one of our dingbat Players hadn't made a point of knocking Grond out of the TK just to add confusion to chaos. As you can imagine, badness ensued! (But we had fun anyway!)

Mags

There's a supervillain who's stealing the body parts from other metahumans and attaching them to himself somehow. He's already stolen some speedster legs and a set of very powerful arms. The PCs figure that he'll be after Grond's torso next, so that he can have four very powerful arms.

So the PC metallic brick is considering masquerading as Grond, rampaging through a deserted part of town, attempting to draw out the body thief. The brick can fake the extra set of arms through the help of the magnetic telekinetic on the team. So, a fake Grond bodysuit (or a maigcal illusion), and we'll see how it turns out.

Grond Hunter- The Vole Network has gained a reputation for insane reality shows, but this one puts lives at risk. A famous Australian television host is now calling himself The Grond Hunter; he and his camera crew are seeking out Grond and tormenting him into a frenzy for the entertainment of the viewing audience. What happens when The Grond Hunter comes after Grond in a crowded city?

I, Grondius - Grond has recently been seen wearing a toga and sandals, and targetting Churches in his rampages. Further, his tactics are becoming almost clever. Heroes with the ability to see into the astral plane may observe the spirit of a woman in the clothing of a noble Roman accompanying Grond! What's going on?

All Of Grond - A female Grond appears and begins a typical Grondian rampage downtown. She's stealing lipstick, eye-liner, makeup, and clothing that she'd need to lose at least 400 pounds to wear. Telepathic scans reveal that this is in fact the real Grond! Is this just a continuing mutation, or is something more going on? And why is "she" smiling at the team brick like that?

Enter: The Big Head - Grond is seen battling giant robots in the center of the city! When the heroes move in to put a stop to this, they spot a high-tech floating chair containing a green "man" with a head twice the size of the rest of his body and four arms! Who is Mister Big Head, and why does he hate Grond?

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Grond - Grond smashes his way into the museum just in time to steal an ancient Chinese sword! Why would he perform such an almost rational crime? And why, when the heroes go after him, can he fly? Just as the heroes are about to catch him to get some answers, Green Flying Ninjas!

I had just seen whatever that movie was where the guy got really smart' date=' then lost it all again. I think Jack Lemmon was in it.

The movie "Charly" was based on the book Flowers for Algeron, and it was the same actor that played Uncle Ben in the Spiderman movies, Cliff Robertson.

• 4 weeks later...

Being Grond: An budding entrepeneur has discovered a mystical portal into Grond's mind that lets people possess him for fifteen minutes at a time. Naturally, he decides to make big bucks selling tickets to people for the privellage of being Grond.

Now it appears to the public that Grond is acting intelligently, but behaving quite random and erratically as various clients use Grond to settle scores, commit crimes, or just have a good time fighting heroes.

And who created the mystical portal anyway, and what was its original intended purpose?

Heh' date=' aside from the silliness of the post, I think this one could sort of work with some changes. Maybe work it so that one of the PCs is accused of a crime and there is video proof. The PC is taken to Stronghold and finds out that on his level, there are just a few prisoners who actually get along sitting around on the couches each day and Grond is one of them. Instead of "Friends," it could be called " 'Mates." :think: Maybe?[/quote']

Oh cool. A silver-age stronghold = 'Oz' campaign. The players might actually work to prevent escape attemps as the resulting crack down would disrupt the only peace they have ever found. With a little work this could even segway into Prisioner like surreality. Does the outside world really exist? Who are the guards and who are the prisioners? Maybe too odd for a long campaigh but a one off or short sequence who knows.......

Heh' date=' aside from the silliness of the post, I think this one could sort of work with some changes. Maybe work it so that one of the PCs is accused of a crime and there is video proof. The PC is taken to Stronghold and finds out that on his level, there are just a few prisoners who actually get along sitting around on the couches each day and Grond is one of them. Instead of "Friends," it could be called " 'Mates." :think: Maybe?[/quote']

OMG that's funny!! I've gotta work it into the game somehow.

Godzilla vs. Grond

The city is attacked by a titanic, mutated, reptile monster with strange powers. It attacks from the waters and starts destroying the coast. When the heroes are having a difficult time with it, Grond comes to assist! Has Grond turned over a new leaf, or has this reptile destroyed Grond's sanctuary?

SuperGrond

Grond is photographed and his picture is put in the papers. It shows Grond in the air wearing a cape. After being discounted as a tabloid hoax, later video footage shows Grond actually flying. Is this a newly developed power, or is it from the cape? If it is newly developed, what else might Grond develop? If it is the cape, where did it come from?

Super Sized Grond

Grond has gained the growth power? What's going on? After challenging and beating Gargantua, what will Grond do? Is this a permanent power, or was it temporary? If temporary, who is it from?

• 5 months later...

Welcome our newest team member: Grond!

Your campaign group has just received its newest member, who hasn't played HERO/Champions before. As GM, you give the new player Grond's write-up, but erase his name and 'memory,' while adding a few points of Intelligence (not to go over 10). After your players have stumped you several times over with things you never anticipated, you get to do one to them.

I think the 5e version of Grond is a little underpowered myself. Not to mention the 'fire' weakness. IMO that's a huge weakness. Some little kid with a match could 'shoo' Grond away.

I believe the "kid with a match" example is quite a bit of an overstatement; however, as strong as Grond is, he does need or could use a weakness, especially since he has reptile/amphibian characteristics; at least it fits his concept.

Compared to another long-time villain, like Dr. Destroyer, Grond hasn't (in my opinion) really been upgraded enough, except perhaps in The Ultimate Brick.

Dr. Destroyer has gone from a low-end of 1300 points, high-end 1932 points in Classic Enemies [1989] to a stand-in for Dr. Destroyer of 1529 points in Day of the Destroyer [1990]. In CKC [2002] Dr. D is 2516 points. So from his 1300 to 2516 version, that is a 93.5% increase! Even from the high-end 1932 point version he's had a 30% increase in power.

Grond, on the other hand had 352 points in Enemies II [1982], to 334 in Classic Enemies [1989] (a drop in points?], to 410 points in CKC [2002], to 459 in The Ultimate Brick [2004]. So from his low points of 334, to his high of 459, that's really only a 37% increase.

Considering that Grond's 334 write up was when characters were based on 250 points and now they are based on 350 points, a 40% increase, Grond's character does get a raw deal overall.

• 3 months later...

Grond's Future

IndentGrond is a name that in it's time brought fear and, for those who knew his sad story, pity to the minds of people. Before the terrible war that struck the world, Grond was captured during a battle with Primus and the American Avenger. The Avenger was one of those who pitied Grond. When the call went out he used his contacts to obtain permision to put Grond in suspended animation. He did so in a location know only to him, in hopes that one day a cure may be found for him. Years went by and Grond was all but forgotten. 350 years later Grond was found by a group of Enforcers, after a search through the military historical archives they discovered his identity and quickly decided to try and use him as a pawn. Grond awoke from his long slumber to find himself strapped to a experimentation table with all sorts of wires attached to him. A man in a lab coat came over and began speaking to him. Grond did not fully understand what he was being told, but his old memories of the experiment that made him the way he was surfaced and he got angry. Grond managed to break the restraints and quickly pummeled the scientist into a bloody pulp. Several Enforcers flooded into the room but their weapons didn't even slow him down. Grond battled his way out of the lab and into the wastelands of what was once Washington D.C.. Unable to comprehend the changes to the world, Grond moved constantly and eventually managed to make his way to New Los Angeles. It was there he managed to find some acceptance. Grond was hiding in a large building when he saw a group of people being chased by the Enforcers. He heard one of the 'metal men', as he refered to the Enforcers, yell "Freeze or you will die, Rebel". Grond suddenly remebered how these same type of men had tried to hurt him and he smashed through the crumbling wall. The Enforcers were caught off guard and were quickly dispatched. Grond turned toward the group and began to walk away. The youngest, a little girl who was about 8, came over and tocuhed Grond's hand. "Thank you for saving us, friend."

IndentGrond was confused. He remebered what friend meant. He looked towards the others who were all nodding and smiling at him. Grond knelt beside the small girl and gently stroked her hair with his massive hand.

Indent"Grond friend?" He asked.

Indent"Yes," the little girl replied "I am you friend, my name is Hope."

IndentGrond smiled and said, "Grond and Hope friends."

IndentHope nodded. "Would you like to come live with us and protect us from the Enforcers."

IndentGrond nodded, "Grond smash metal men for Hope." He stood and accepted the small girl's hand and they walked off together. Since that day Grond has protected Hope and the underground resistance group that her parents were part of.

This is actually the background for my PC in a PBeM. :)

That's cool, I like that a lot, very nice.

Thinking about that, you could do a related plot where a team member among the PCs learns somehow about this side of Grond, perhaps a mentalist picking up his mental projection or such. Of course it would have to be a PC compelled to help. Anyway, the team then deals with helping the real Grond get out.