Hero PDA Application

I've written a small application where the GM can enter characters names, dexterities, and speeds. The app then has a combat mode whereby it cycles through the various segments and displays each character that goes on the given phase (in the order of their action).

I was thinking of expanding this application to be more useful (on the whole) for a Hero game GM. Does anyone have any ideas about what they would want to see in such an app?

Things that save the GM time probably top on the list...

Paul

PS: I have this app running on my Compaq IPAQ which makes a very nice sized GMing companion

In my experience, and I realize I might be in a minority here, the thing it already does (tracking DEXes and SPDs) is the most useful thing it can do, and the more stuff you add, the greater the danger of it reaching the point where you spend so much time fiddling with the app that it hinders the game instead of helping it. The only other thing I'd use a PDA for would be tracking STUN and END, and you can do that in a text editor.

I'd leave it as just a DEX and SPD tracker. :)

Hi Paul,

I would LOVE to take a look at the application. I have been really wanting one of these programs.

Here are some suggestions...

+ A way that you can save collections of characters then load them. For example, I could enter the PC and save the file. Then I could enter the villains and save the file. At the start of the combat I could load both files.

+ On phases when multiple characters have the same Dex arrange them randomly so dice offs are not needed.

+ It needs to run on the Palm OS...otherwise I can't use it. I have a Prism. :-(

FYI. In my mind keeping track of saved phases is the responsibility of the player. ;)

Please let me know if you are willing to let me take a look. I have 12 years experience as a software QA engineer. :)

AWESOME!

PS I would buy such a tool. ;)

Paul, speaking as an iPAQ user myself, I'm all in favor of iPAQ Hero applications. ;)

As Derek said, I think simple is best. However, I'd like to request a Hero-specific dice roller. I have to fuss around with other, generic, dice rollers to get a Hero result; I'd rather have one that just tells me the STUN and BODY and such straight out. ;)

Does the Dex and Spd tracker also allow for a random generator for when two characters have the same Dex on the same Phase? If so, GREAT.

As for the dice roller, I would put it on a seperate program - or at least have a seperate program that is just the Dex and Spd tracker. I personally like the roll of the real dice. ;)

My question is are you going to be allowing others to download the app and does Compaq IPAQ apps run on Palm O/S?

Thanks for all your advice. Keep it coming. I want this thing to be an app that will help speed up the mechanics of combat.

Steve: Great idea. Will do. I'll add it as an option so that the GM can use it (if they want to) to roll X dice and have it display body and stun

I'm sorry to say that my development environment is setup for PocketPC apps. Not Palm apps. PocketPC apps don't run on Palm (maybe their is some PocketPC emulator that runs on Palm. Don't know - if anyone else knows, please post)

Paul

PS: When I get some screen shots, I'll send them here. Then maybe we can talk about the usability as well

Originally posted by paul_runstedler

I'm sorry to say that my development environment is setup for PocketPC apps. Not Palm apps. PocketPC apps don't run on Palm (maybe their is some PocketPC emulator that runs on Palm. Don't know - if anyone else knows, please post)

What is your code written in? One of my gaming buddies is a programmer - and does PalmOS stuff. Maybe he can do a straight port? Feel free to contact me off list if you want to give it a try.

Aroooo

Dice Pro is an EXCELLENT program.

It can be made to quite easily do hero dice rolling of all types.

There are times I like using a dice roller when I dont want my players to know I am rolling up something.

as for the dex/stun tracker...simple is best. I do hope that someone writes a Palm usable version.

Good luck on it. I think apps for PDA are a very untaped market.

Originally posted by Aroooo

What is your code written in? One of my gaming buddies is a programmer - and does PalmOS stuff. Maybe he can do a straight port? Feel free to contact me off list if you want to give it a try.

Aroooo

There are many 'port programs' that translate most programming languages (C++, Java, Visual Basic) into a Palm OS environment. I had wanted to write one myself but been too busy/lazy/stupid to do it. ;)

Steve: Great idea. Will do. I'll add it as an option so that the GM can use it (if they want to) to roll X dice and have it display body and stun

Coolness. Finally a reason to bring the iPAQ back to the gaming table! I used to be able to do whole con runs off of it, using Notes to track STUN and BODY for my villains and such, but after I accidentally deleted all the data (still no idea how), I quit. Time to do a little re-entry, perhaps. ;)