Help: UNHQ moves to Millennium City

Agent X

I've decided because of one of the subplots of one of the characters in my new campaign that it would serve my interests for the United Nations Headquarters to move from New York City to Millennium City.

I can think of one reason why this would happen, the sheer sense of progressiveness that Millennium City would convey.

I was hoping, perhaps, that others might "cook up" something better.

I have considered security as a possible issue but I'm not sure that is too compelling. After all, Millennium City is Millennium City because it is the site of the worst superfight in CU history.

Re: Help: UNHQ moves to Millennium City

you could have a super villain attack or natural disaster contaminate or make the building unsafe forcing the UN to relocate the main offices and debating chamber while the building is reapired and millenium city is happy to offer up space.

you really want to mess with it have thebuiilding moved physically by some sort of cosmic accident now the main UN offices are in millenium city Or even better forming a new island between the us and canada

intreastingly enough the UN is actually considering moving though probably in new york but they do need a new building whilst the secretariat buidling is refurbished.

heres a couple of links.

virtual tour of the un

and a little discription of the buildings and there history

heres some pictures of the new scottish parliment buildings which might show a modern political buidling

you could have a super villain attack or natural disaster contaminate or make the building unsafe forcing the UN to relocate the main offices and debating chamber while the building is reapired and millenium city is happy to offer up space.

you really want to mess with it have thebuiilding moved physically by some sort of cosmic accident now the main UN offices are in millenium city Or even better forming a new island between the us and canada

intreastingly enough the UN is actually considering moving though probably in new york but they do need a new building whilst the secretariat buidling is refurbished.

heres a couple of links.

virtual tour of the un

and a little discription of the buildings and there history

heres some pictures of the new scottish parliment buildings which might show a modern political buidling

Thanks. I was planning on a manmade island between US and Canada. :)

If you're going with a manmade island, perhaps the site chosen could have special properties particularly useful to an organization like the UN in a supers world, like being at a ley-line junction or dimensional nexus. Those properties might offer additional protection from mystical threats, teleporting/desolid intrusion, etc. Alternatively, the site might allow practical global teleportation, so that delegates can instantly travel to and from their home countries.

If you're going with a manmade island' date=' perhaps the site chosen could have special properties particularly useful to an organization like the UN in a supers world, like being at a ley-line junction or dimensional nexus. Those properties might offer additional protection from mystical threats, teleporting/desolid intrusion, etc. Alternatively, the site might allow practical global teleportation, so that delegates can instantly travel to and from their home countries.[/quote'] I'm going to think about the possibilities on this one. :eg:

You could always put it on Percy Island' date=' that 'cursed' island mentioned in the MC book :eg:[/quote']That brings up a criticism of the book. They took up quite a bit of space on what amounted to a mundane "ghost story" of very limited comic book value.

You could have it driven from the MC side. Rather than coming up with a reason why the UN wants to move to MC, come up with a reason why MC wants the UN to move. Maybe officials or power brokers in MC feel having the UN HQ in town would make the city more worldly and draw foreign business interests to MC and away from NYC. To this end, maybe they finance and build a futuristic, state-of-the-art headquarters complex and invite the UN to move in, free of charge. That might be a hard deal for the UN to pass up. :)

You could have it driven from the MC side. Rather than coming up with a reason why the UN wants to move to MC' date=' come up with a reason why MC wants the UN to move. Maybe officials or power brokers in MC feel having the UN HQ in town would make the city more worldly and draw foreign business interests to MC and away from NYC. To this end, maybe they finance and build a futuristic, state-of-the-art headquarters complex and invite the UN to move in, free of charge. That might be a hard deal for the UN to pass up. :)[/quote'] Yeah, I was thinking about having the "eccentric, extravagant multi-billionaire builds a modern wonder of the world and invites the UN" kind-of-thing go down.

Oooh, or maybe these power brokers secretly dislike the Champions and/or PRIMUS, and want the UN to move in so that UNTIL will have a bigger role in the city. Perhaps they figure that a heavy UNTIL presence will marginalize PRIMUS and the Champions, and then the power brokers in turn might be able to manipulate matters with UNTIL (what with the UN owing them some big favors and all..)

Oooh' date=' or maybe these power brokers secretly dislike the Champions and/or PRIMUS, and want the UN to move in so that UNTIL will have a bigger role in the city. Perhaps they figure that a heavy UNTIL presence will marginalize PRIMUS and the Champions, and then the power brokers in turn might be able to manipulate matters with UNTIL (what with the UN owing them some big favors and all..)[/quote'] Definitely a possibility. I think I'm going to push the rediculously wealthy guy angle but, of course, he persuaded others to invest in the construction of a new UN Building. I think this will tie in well with the Cultural Centers in Millennium City.

This is all because some of the players got the notion they wanted to reinvent some of the previous edition's Champions/Guardians and one of them wants to run his take on Obsidian. Since Obsidian's mission is to serve as a representative of his people, it only makes sense that he would zero in on the city with the UNHQ. And, since my campaign is centered on Millennium City to make my life easier, I have to move the UNHQ to the city instead of the other way around.

Definitely a possibility. I think I'm going to push the rediculously wealthy guy angle but, of course, he persuaded others to invest in the construction of a new UN Building. I think this will tie in well with the Cultural Centers in Millennium City.

This is all because some of the players got the notion they wanted to reinvent some of the previous edition's Champions/Guardians and one of them wants to run his take on Obsidian. Since Obsidian's mission is to serve as a representative of his people, it only makes sense that he would zero in on the city with the UNHQ. And, since my campaign is centered on Millennium City to make my life easier, I have to move the UNHQ to the city instead of the other way around.

Or alternately add an organization to handle Human-Alien affairs and have it located in the most advanced city on Earth, Millennium City! (Gotta put our best foot forward after all.)

Aliens are a little bit outside of the UN's direct purview I would think. They cant even get two merely Earthly nations to agree on things more times than not; dealing with actual aliens might just be a bit beyond their reach :D

Or alternately add an organization to handle Human-Alien affairs and have it located in the most advanced city on Earth, Millennium City! (Gotta put our best foot forward after all.)

Aliens are a little bit outside of the UN's direct purview I would think. They cant even get two merely Earthly nations to agree on things more times than not; dealing with actual aliens might just be a bit beyond their reach :D

I was gonna do that too.

LOL Holdin' back Canadian comments.. But Peche Island is so close to MC that it wouldn't make that much difference, would it?

Cat

Yes. Peche Island is in Canada. What? You just want me to include all that Champions of the North stuff don't ya?

The big problem with moving is the upheaval for the staff of reallocating just for a new building. You just wouldn’t do it if it could be avoided

Realistically would you up root thousands ofemployees (not sure of the actual figure but Its a lot) there kids and families force them to find a new place to live, schools etc unless you absolutely had too?

That’s why you either have to demolish the building or move the whole thing by some significant power

On the other side of the equation, the U.N. and New York City periodically get into angry arguments over diplomats’ unpaid parking tickets. If, say, a supervillain attack were to render the current building unusable at the same time that dispute flares up again, the U.N. delegates might be more receptive to an offer from MC.

Of course, then MC would have to deal with the problems that come from having hundreds and hundreds of diplomats roaming around.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably too late, AgentX, what if a 9/11-style event hit the UN, and they had to move immediately? Millennium City might be the only place (being such a new and high-tech city) ready and willing to take care of them, and high-profile enough to be attractive. And while it's not more secure than other cities necessarily, it sure shouldn't be less so, given they built it partly (one would assume) to facilitate good security given the catastrophe that occurred.

PS - and of course given they moved in a hurry, once moved, they may find they liked it, and keep offices in both cities (they'd have to pay lip service to not "retreating" from NYC, but you could always handle that later!)

I'm probably too late, AgentX, what if a 9/11-style event hit the UN, and they had to move immediately? Millennium City might be the only place (being such a new and high-tech city) ready and willing to take care of them, and high-profile enough to be attractive. And while it's not more secure than other cities necessarily, it sure shouldn't be less so, given they built it partly (one would assume) to facilitate good security given the catastrophe that occurred.

PS - and of course given they moved in a hurry, once moved, they may find they liked it, and keep offices in both cities (they'd have to pay lip service to not "retreating" from NYC, but you could always handle that later!)

I was thinking they might have moved due to a destructive incident. I don't want it to involve large casualties or terrorists. I would prefer a supervillain incident with loss of life minimized, (just like the comic books).

I'm not one of the guys who wants to deal with 9/11 in game. I'm too familiar with Terroristic Mass Murder to want to dwell on it during my fun time.

In that light: What supervillains do you (and others) think would be most suitable for a knock-down-drag-out fight at the UNHQ in NYC?

Agent X,

If you want something less "real", and more like a comic book, you could just have some cosmic entity do something to the current UN building.

1) Comedy - In an effort to "help" the UN stop arguing, the building gets turned into:

a) Gold "You seem to squabble over this 'money' constantly, this should fulfill your needs."

B) Flowers "There is a lot of negative emotion here. I am told your species finds this biological matter comforting."

2) Politics - A cosmic entity decides that the UN building is the seat of power on the Earth, and so, turns it into their personal

a) Residence

B) Embassy

c) Fortress

3) Action - A cosmic entity uses the unique structure of the building (the architect was "influenced") to open a portal into another dimension.

"Choose the form of the Desrtuctor!"

Everyone gets evacuated in time, and there is one heck of a fight, but the UN Building is so altered/damaged that it won't be useable for years!

Just some suggestions,

KA.