Images or Shapeshift?

Dust Raven

I'm working on updating the computer of the team's computer. Currently, she's an AI with a holoprojector that allows her to create a hologram of herself in human form to interact with others. What I'm doing it taking that and putting her into a robot body so she can actually leave the base once in a while. But I still want her to have the holoprojector.

Essentially, all I want to simulate is the ability to create the image of a normal human over the obviously mechanical robot body (which is humanoid). I know I can easily do this with either Images or Shapeshift, and both would be "correct", but I'd like to discuss the pros and cons of using either before making my descision on which to choose (or even the option of using both!).

So what do you think Denizens of Hero?

Re: Images or Shapeshift?

I agree that both powers can work for the stated purpose. If you use shape-shift though you might want to buy a seperate Images since the robot body could still have the ability to project various external Images besides just personal camoflage.

I actually built a low level Psi 'Photo-kinetic' character around a this very concept. He had Invisibility and Images. His Images could be used to simulate Invisibility on others area effect and had a built in chance for failure based on compexity compared to the uneven fringe/no-fringe mechanic for invisibility.

Another power I included for this character (and that may be applicable to your robot as well) was the ability to use enhanced senses usable by others via the Images. Basically the character could manipulate light in such a way as to create a virtual telescope with various enhanced visual senses. The limitation was that he could not use the enhanced senses without the visible use of Images. Since he manipulated light externally, he HAD to project an 'image' of what he was 'scoping', he could do this in very small way like a fighter pilot's HUD a few inches in front of his face but it was always a visible power in this regard. I didn't give him Clairvoyance since the power was limited to his line of sight. Another possible use of the character's power would be to provide range penalty levels for himself or another character via the virtual image/scope.

Shapeshift is the most appropriate mechanic for a disguise power, IMO.

You may want to give the robot Images as well, to reflect a more versatile holographic projection capability. It can be a surprisingly useful power, especially as a "crowd control" tactic (tricking the enemy into wasting actions) ;)

What is the diffeence between Shapeshift vs sight and Images Self only?

Well the main difference I can think of is that the Shapeshift would be more reliable because it doesn't require PER checks to see if the viewer believes the disguise as would be required by Images.

That reliability is a key factor. How believable is the hologram? could it have a digital 'fake' look to it?

This brings up an interresting point.

Of all the Illusion Powers:

Shapeshift, Invisibility*^ and Darkness^ all have absolute effects similar to the way Desolidification behaves except for Images.

* If the No Fringe Advantage is purchased.

^ Combat Sense is the only way around 'Full Sensory Coverage' of each of these powers.

Images is a perfectly good substitute for Shapeshift and Invisibility (but not Darkness ?! according to FREd) that will give a pre-defined penalty to an opponent's perception roll vs. the particular effect. In other words, a small chance always exists that any illusion effect built using Images can be seen through. Shapeshift does not have ANY such mechanic other than having a sense NOT covered by the power.

From a players point of view I would choose the absolute versions if building that type of character. But from a GM standpoint I would sometimes like to be able to give ALL characters a chance if only a small one to see through some of these Illusion powers.

just my 3 yen...

Thanks guys!

If you're interested in seeing the completed character, you can check out her stats here: Sims. (http://geocities.com/t_l_o_3_t/characters/stats/sims.htm)

I haven't got her background written yet, but basically she's from an ancient race of mechanical life forms.

Simsaria was an anthropologist assigned to Earth several thousand years ago to study to the human population. While there, she witnessed an alien race begin to interfere with the human's lives. An evil empire was performing some sort of experiments on the humans. Having grown to like humans, she interviened, and sabotaged the experiments (and alerted other races to what was going on). The aliens left, but Sims was stranded.

Having completed her mission, but not having a way off Earth, she went into suspended animation (well, she shut herself off). As a precaution, she burried herself far away from civilized humans, and set up defenses to keep intruders from awakening her until the population was sufficently advanced enough to deal with a mechanical life form (and hopefully have space ships).

Several thousand years pass.

Then one day a newly formed team of superheroes in the American northwest are building their base in the middle of the city. After digging underground a ways, the come across this strange pod... I think you can figure what happens next.

Currently, Sims opperates as the team's receptionist, scientific advisor and liason to the public. No one besides the team are aware she's an alien, or even a machine. She maintains a disguise through advanced holographics to appear completely human.