Converting V&V to Champions

Vigil

Hey All,

I recently picked up a PDF version of V&V and had a real look at the system for the first time in around 20 years. There's some interesting elements in the system and I find the randomness and possibility for "happy" accidents in character design to be quite refreshing to someone so used to structuring absolutely every nuance of a character. Looking at the way V&V works I couldn't help but wonder if anyone out there has or has seen a conversion system to Champs that they'd recommend. I have certain bits of info to chart from (comparing explosives damage and healing rates being the basic ones) but I was wondering if there was something more comprehensive out there. Thanks in advance for any more info.

Vigil

Re: Converting V&V to Champions

I've always found the best method for converting characters is to not try to mathematically convert the character or even to try and duplicate the specific mechanics but rather to build the concept in Hero as you would any other concept.

Just my 2 cents.

Rod

Cool. Any info would be great. It seeems to me that...from what I've been able to deduce that V&V characters may, in a sense, start out a bit more powerful than Champs types but that that quickly levels off then swings the other way. I'll keep an eye out for the DNAgents module, too.

Vigil

I've always found the best method for converting characters is to not try to mathematically convert the character or even to try and duplicate the specific mechanics but rather to build the concept in Hero as you would any other concept.

Just my 2 cents.

Rod

Gotta agree w/ Rod here ... convert the concept, not the stats :) I've been doing that with most Supers RPGs and found it much easier :D

Gotta agree that conversions should be by concept not by number.

My only pointer on this is that it's made easier by the fact that the attacks in V&V tend to be uniform. (As in a Powerblast is 1D20 base for everyone). So you decide that if 1D20 is the potentially biggest attack in the game then that's equivalent to a 12D6 EB in hero. Maybe the electrical attack (2D8, I think) comes in second and winds up being a 10D6 attack or maybe equivalent to the 60 active point attack of the powerblast, just with an NND or AP advantage to make it different.

Stats are where you run into trouble. I suppose you could take the lift capacity and look that up on the STR chart, but everything else you kind of have to judge relative. (So and so in V&V is the fastest at 43 AGI, so in my game the fastest is going to be a 30 DEX, etc.)

The DNAgents book had a conversion chart.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll dig up my old Surge conversion...

SCUBA's Surge writeup can be found here.

According to the website I linked to above, the V&V adventure Search For The Sensei also had conversion notes between the systems. If you're interested you can pick up both that and the DNAgents Sourcebook reasonably priced from The Dragon's Trove, a good and established online dealer. Look for the V&V stuff in their catalogues under "Super-Hero Related Games."

I found the V&V conversions they had listed in the book to be a lil less...meaty...when brought to Champions...most if not all came out under the 250pts you had to play with.

Generally what I di dwas look to see what converted to what, then played with the concept. few points here in skills, beef up a few powers, add a few things that V&V didn't have a concept for, etc.

Wish I hadn't lost my Hero Disk :( ...Back in 91/92 when I was dating my Ex-Wife I had all the V&V characters converted to HeroMaker on one lil floppy, but lost the d**n thing on a visit to her house for a game.