What Would Your Character Do? #68

Wormhole

The planet is being ravaged by a giant monster from space. Several of the world's most powerful superheroes- and afew heavy hitter supervillains- have battled with the creature already and have ended up dead or hospitalized. As world leaders meet to discuss the crisis at hand, the villain Megascourge II drops in on the conference and says he believes he can drive the monster from the planet, but expects to be declared the Unquestioned Lord And Master Of The Globeâ„¢ if he suceeds. Having nothing left to lose, and figuring he'll probably just end up like everyone else that went toe to toe with the beast, the world leaders publically agree to his terms.

Megascourge II engages the monster in a brutal battle, and while he takes one hell of a beating in the beginning, he ultimately defeats the Horror From Beyondâ„¢ and sends it fleeing with its tail between its legs. With the creature gone, MS turns to a news crew on the scene, looks directly into the camera and says, "People of the nations of Earth, I have kept my end of the bargain, it is now time for your leaders to keep theirs."

How would your character react to this?

Re: What Would Your Character Do? #68

Starguard -- be completely at a loss. Most likely fly away and angst through it for a long while, until some resistance coalesced that she could join.

(Although given how she fights, and her membership on her gameworld's JLA equivalent, she's on the "Most Likely To Have Already Heroically Died Fighting The Aliens" list.)

Dr. Pain -- "Smile and nod, Leon. Smile and nod. And I am /so/ joining the Resistance on your dumb ass, Scourgeboy."

Baron von Darien -- *you turn around to ask him his opinion. he is gone. several weeks later, MegaScourge is found dead in his bedroom.*

Currently not in any games, but we'll go with my default character Super Blue:

Seeing as how this guy is an Uber-Villain, I'd gather every known Hero (and villain) that'd come to take him down while he's still tired from battling the horror from the unknown (not to mention I'd prolly figure that he was the one that set the monster on us in the first place).

Black Arrow - Her reaction would depend on the world leaders. Are they actually going to hand over power to Megascourge? If so, she's dropping out of site while using her contacts to either join a resistance movement, or create one if she has to (though she'd rather be the lieutenant than the leader).

Darkshadow - I'll take "assassinations" for $1000, Alex.

Captain Atlas - Probably died in True Hero [TM] fashion fighting the space monster. If not, he'll boldly fight Megascourge in public at the first available opportunity, if just to prove that no man has the right to dominate others, and that nothing can defeat the human spirit (cue inspirational music)

Anthem - Way, way out of her hands. She'd see what this guy has done. If he's done something vile (which he likely has) then she'd probably form some kind of street level resistance. I could see her as some kind of cell leader in a low-level rebellion.

Uncle Slam - He's worked in the government long enough to see a few conspiracies. He'd wonder if the two weren't in league. He'd do his best to follow all the breadcrumbs and make certain that the villain's actions were on the up-and-up, not a stage play between two supervillains. But if his government surrendered, he'd resign his commision and go solo again, like the old days.

Audra Blue - Wouldn't like it, but as long as he wasn't ordering executions or trying to come into her home she'd bide her time. Now here's your real resistance leader; She's got insane information gathering skills and an ability to hide and encode things. She'd likely be a coordinator between the rebellious factions, feeding them imporant info.

Menagerie:If MegaScourge was a mutant, she would join with his new regime. If not, she'd oppose him just like any other "Monkey".

Pinnacle:Would quietly join a resistance movement.

Stopwatch:Simply survive. "Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss."

Gaia:Assuming she did not die fighting the horror from beyond, she would watch this usuper. If his regime was good for the Earth, she would back it. If not, she would come at him with the full fury of nature. (which sis pretty furious, let me tell you. Gaia was well over 1000 points when I stopped playing her).

CYBERKNIGHT; This completely idealistic power armored scientist/billionaire would wait to see what kind of ruler the world leaders had agreed to. If the result was a reign of terror, then the legitemacy of the government would be considered over and Cyberknight would be starting the revolution.

PRODIGY; is an ancient Atlantean who among his past deeds was the formation of the Knights Templar and a leading role in the Crusades. As a result of the terrible slaughter in which he had such a prominent leading role, he has renounced killing completely and is a staunch opponent of any evil and despotism. Prodigy could therefore be expected to quote the peasant in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" by stating, "I didn't vote for him."

The planet is being ravaged by a giant monster from space. Several of the world's most powerful superheroes- and afew heavy hitter supervillains- have battled with the creature already and have ended up dead or hospitalized. As world leaders meet to discuss the crisis at hand, the villain Megascourge II drops in on the conference and says he believes he can drive the monster from the planet, but expects to be declared the Unquestioned Lord And Master Of The Globeâ„¢ if he suceeds. Having nothing left to lose, and figuring he'll probably just end up like everyone else that went toe to toe with the beast, the world leaders publically agree to his terms.

Megascourge II engages the monster in a brutal battle, and while he takes one hell of a beating in the beginning, he ultimately defeats the Horror From Beyondâ„¢ and sends it fleeing with its tail between its legs. With the creature gone, MS turns to a news crew on the scene, looks directly into the camera and says, "People of the nations of Earth, I have kept my end of the bargain, it is now time for your leaders to keep theirs."

Omega: get the UN to uphold it's deal. Pass a resolution declaring Megascourge II to have the title "Unquestioned Lord and Master of the Globe", which carries the responsibility of driving away giant monsters from space, and has the benefits of aforementioned title, an annual stipend of $1CAD (to be paid in form of a "Looney" coin), and symbol of office being a miniature globe.

Omega may also suggest to the villain that a) change his name, B) would welcome him as a hero and not as a power-mad nutjob, and c) if does try this stunt again, may want to demand something like "full and enforceable executive, judicial, and legislative power within and over all of the Earth and all nations and individuals therein" as opposed to some fancy title. :king:

Guest Worldmaker

Uncle Sam would already be dead and buried from fighting the thing in the first place.

The Shield would be one of the few survivors of the attacks on the beast in the first place, and his reaction would be a big "yeah right" before immediately launching himself at the idiot villain.

Lawgiver: See the later elements of The Shield's actions.

My signature character, Wormhole, would probably flee to the nearest parallel Earth and stay there until he heard it was safe to come back. Most of my other characters would either be dead or in the ICU. If Hardware survived, however, he might conspire with some other gadgeteers and scientists to subdue Megascourge and lock his mind into a computer-generated dreamworld where he can live out his king-of-the-world fantasy without causing trouble in the real world. :sneaky:

Guest bblackmoor

"People of the nations of Earth, I have kept my end of the bargain, it is now time for your leaders to keep theirs."

A small sample of my favorite characters.

Darknight (teleporting supernatural avenger type):

"I think not." (written on the comic page in heavy black letters)

Avalon (idealistic Ukrainian flying speedster energy projector):

"No! The world leaders did not have the right to make that bargain. I will not stand by and let another tyranny replace the old!" (this is an oblique reference to the Soviet Union)

Dr. Redgrave (super-scientist Dr. Octopus type):

"Megascourge clearly staged this entire event. When you defeat him, try and bring back a tissue sample." (without looking up from her microscope)

Assuming any of them didn't die or get hospitalized already:

Lash - The UN gave him authority, not me. Viva la resistance. He would also start fighting the UN because they clearly have no right to rule anymore.

Slingshot - He'd wait to see how things were looking under the new regime. If things go rotten, he'd begin planting bombs in Mega's underwear drawer and poisoning his corn flakes, while simultaneously trying to galvinize the community to do what it can to save itself from depravations during the coming struggles. He'd also dress up as Mega and leave crank calls on other villains video-phones, calling them wusses.

Tempest - Probably would fight the guy immediately, no hesitation. He's kind of dumb that way.

Kensai - Realizing that power backed by threat has no true authority, Kensai would organize the remaining heroes into a brilliant multi-pronged assault on Mega, utilizing all his known weaknesses, and then try and rebuild the shattered dream that was the UN.

Magister - Provide assistance to the numberless civilian casualties of the epic battle, and wait to see how Mega fared as a ruler. If he stays villainous, support the revolutionaries.

Guest bblackmoor

Magister - Provide assistance to the numberless civilian casualties of the epic battle' date=' and wait to see how Mega fared as a ruler. If he stays villainous, support the revolutionaries.[/quote']

Very pragmatic. I like him. :)

Magister - Provide assistance to the numberless civilian casualties of the epic battle, and wait to see how Mega fared as a ruler. If he stays villainous, support the revolutionaries.

this is the most realisticall answer and the one i can relate to more, what i dont understand is giving the situation why so many ppl want to maim him and such.

All the other heroes tacitly acepted the situation by allowing him to battle the monster alone. He made a bargain and he kept it. Even to great risk of his life. It saddens me to see The Authority reigning in this thread too.

Well, you see, here's the thing.

With the exception of the ones that are *already* dictatorships, the governments he made that bargain with have no right to make that bargain.

Consider the United States. The Constitution specifies exactly who succeeds the President if and when he steps down, and it's another guy we've already elected -- not just anybody he wants to pick on the spot. Likewise on down the line... every single person in the rightful line of succession is either somebody we've already elected, or somebody who had to be confirmed in office by an already-elected legislature. Note the continual recurrence of the word 'elected'.

Furthermore, there is no position for 'world ruler' in the Constitution. Even if Mega-Villain-Man somehow became POTUS, there would still be legal checks and balances upon his actions, and if he wants to ignore those and try to turn this place into Latveria West, then fuck him.

An elected republic simply does not have the right to abdicate and sell out its sovereignty to the dictator of the week, and therefore, no bargain it makes to do so is rightfully binding upon that republic's electorate.

The only way the Authority would be 'reigning' in this thread is if we *accepted* rule by metahuman dictator, because our own governments were somehow staffed so overwhelmingly with cowards or chickenshits that they'd actually bow down to this.

And there is nothing Authority in me remembering that part of my oath that says "... against all enemies, foreign or domestic" -- and figuring out how it would apply here.

so is better that the earth perished to a man right?

if you forget the situation stated that it was a desperate situation and they thought of it as a last resort, because after all he could die out there anyway and the chance was so slim of he actually succeding when all others failed.

because that is the situation, your character and your team and all other teams toguether couldnt stop the monster. The Earth was going to die, and you all tacitly agreed to his bargain. the planteation dosnt say "The heroes that remained didnt agree to it"

> so is better that the earth perished to a man right?

No, better that my governments recognize the concept of a 'false dilemna' -- the only two options are *not* "bow down to MegaScourge" and "die to a man", much as he'd want us to *believe* so.

For one thing, if we all die to a man, he goes too -- and so does the people he wants to rule.

I mean, come on, it's hardly as if the comics have never done this plot before, and we all know the classic ways out of it. Many of which actually still work even if the Editorial Fiat switch is turned off.

There's also 'making him a compromise offer', 'going on to solve the problem without him, and that age-old favorite of politicians, 'promise him everything and then screw him blind'. :)

> if you forget the situation stated [snip]

I forgot nothing.

I just don't believe in no-win scenarios.

[snip]

> because that is the situation, your character and your team and all other

> teams toguether couldnt stop the monster.

Actually, that's *not* the situation, and I would suggest *you* go back and reread.

I might also point out that your own scenario has got a logical hole in it the size of the Hindenberg -- if MegaScourge really is so powerful that he's capable of single-handedly defeating an opponent capable of stomping the combined heroes of the entire planet, then why the hell does he need to *ASK* us to let him rule the Earth? If he can really whomp on Galactus' butt, then he can just whomp on ours straight-up, too.

My reply as Magister is simple: he doesn't see himself as a hero because he can beat the crap out of people. He sees himself as a hero because he helps people, even at the risk of his own life. Saving the innocents is always his first option. If fighting Mega would save innocents, then that is what he'd do, but it would have to be pretty obvious threat.

Both Magister and Slingshot took a "wait and see" attitude because they are very cynical about the current government, and see an obvious villain taking charge instead of a conspiracy laden institution as merely a change of guard. Their actions stem from a lack motivation about the situation. Everyone else sees it as a clear violation of every person on the planet's civil rights.

I'm unfamiliar with the Authority comic book, so I'll shut up now.

Guest bblackmoor

what i dont understand is giving the situation why so many ppl want to maim him and such. ... He made a bargain and he kept it. Even to great risk of his life.

As for honoring the deal, I think (in my own examples) Avalon's response and Dr. Redgrave's response explain quite well why they wouldn't go along with it. (Darknight does not serve the whims of mortal authority, and has never felt the need to explain himself. He does what he needs to do.)

Also, I am taking it as a given that a) our heroes were not killed by the alien menace, and B) that they were not consulted on the "deal" with the supervillain. The initial post didn't state these conditions explicitly, but the question doesn't make sense if either of these two conditions are false.

It saddens me to see The Authority reigning in this thread too.

It saddens me to see someone attempting to derail an interesting thread with irrelevant fan-geekery.

[edit: added first quotation, second quotation, and response to second quotation]

Ok, let him run the world. With no help at all.

Let him make all the choices and decisions by himself. Let him assume every single responsibility that has to do with governing the lives of 8 billion people. I give him a week before he quits or has a nervous breakdown.