Wwycd #89

OddHat

An interesting dilemma from a short story:

Brother Eagle is a super you’ve worked with a half dozen times. Two years ago, his unique “Bio-Gestalt†powers were needed to protect the world from an Alien invasion. In that same year, he risked his life to stop a group of super-terrorists from detonating a nuclear weapon in the campaign city, losing an eye and his left arm in the process. Despite those wounds, he has continued to adventure.

Two months ago, while assisting your team once again, Brother Eagle showed signs of a growing emotional problem. His treatment of your metahuman opponents was uncharacteristically brutal. Later, while recovering from the battle, Brother Eagle revealed that he believed his wife to be having an affair with a local insurance salesman. At this point Brother Eagle also, unthinkingly, revealed his secret identity: Joe Krystal.

Today, you or one of your team mates is called out to the scene of a crime. You recognize the crime scene as the home of Joe Krystal. It has been completely destroyed. Your senses or equipment, or the senses or equipment of one of your team mates, reveals that the house was destroyed by energies identical to one of Brother Eagle’s Bio-Gestalt Blasts. Inside the ruble are the near liquefied remains of two people. A quick investigation reveals that neither Mrs.Krystal nor her husband Joe have been seen since yesterday. Parked in front of what is left of the house is the car of Arthur Hill, a local insurance salesman. Arthur has not been seen for the last 24 hours.

What would your character do?

Re: Wwycd #89

All my characters -- find my friend and ask him what happened.

Several of them have various truth-finding or investigative resources available.

Based on the evidence, the guy is legitimately a suspect. And while I wouldn't hand his secret ID straight to the cops right off, neither would I turn a blind eye.

Anthem and Uncle Slam both know that there's never an excuse for murder. Both would look into it. Ultimately, if they found out he'd done it, they would arrest him (or attempt to).

Both would want to hear his story though before calling anyone in.

What would your character do?

Ghost Archer:

"I do my job. If this includes investigating a friend that may have killed two people, so be it. Understand, however, I go into any new case with an open mind and would never allow others' conclusions to color my own. One thing one must consider: maybe the two bodies are the missing couple and the insurance guy isn't dead. Maybe somehow, he has that power now. Hell, I wouldn't even conclude Mrs. Krystal was one of them until I had definitive proof."

Special Agent Trent would report his findings to the police and to his FBI superiors. Obviously, identifying the remains of the two individuals is the first order of business. Regardless of what the lab work turns up, if the case is ruled to be in FBI jurisdiction, or if the police are willing to accept him working for them, he will investigate and apprehend the killer. For a serious crime, the law comes first.

Zeropoint

My first four usual characters will investigate as per their usual methods, being sure to keep an open mind.

Talion will hand off the case to one of his teammates, as with his luck, Joe (or whoever now has the bio-gestalt power) would accidentally kill himself attacking Talion before his innocence or otherwise could be established.

Nova: summon associates skilled with forensics, and psychic powers. Have the bodies identified. Track down Brother Eagle: ask his version of the story and to undergo a mind reading. Forcefully submit him if he is mentally unstable and violent. If BE confesses the crime and/or mind reading verifies his culpability, offer him to have his emotional problems cured by the psychic, and a mental block against using his powers against civilians installed. Offer to use Nova's powers to heal his injuries. Look for a way BE can rehabilitate himself through superheroic community service, keep him under survellaince till he shows he has reliably stabilized and rehabilitated. If mind reading indicates he is innocent, investigate further, seek who framed BE, and administer justice. If he is mentally deranged, submit him, then cure him, and offer the block. Make clear the alternative is mercy killing. Nova does not trust or care about mundane laws at all, and thinks a troubled hero with such an heroic past deserves to be helped and a chance to rehabilitate from a crime of passion, but he won't let a mentally troubled superhuman free to rampage on civilians.

Return the bodies of the victims to the families, and tell them the killer was taken care of. If BE accepted cure and block, alter evidence so his power signature is masked, and cover him. If he refuses, and mercy killing is necessary, or BE was framed, tell the whole story.

• 4 years later...

With a suitable tissue sample ( hair, teeth, and bone are all good ) Vitus would be able to locate the individuals - it would be interesting if the wife or salsman are apparently still alive, and some way off.

If it does turn out to be Brother Eagle gone berserk, Vitus would be somewhat sympathetic. After all, there was that whole Skeleton Crew Sex Tape Scandal. He forgave 3rd Daughter of the Last Ka's 2nd-Favourite Concubine for that - it was was for immeadiately calling him him a failure as a mage and master, and punching him in the face that nearly got her killed.

And then there's the murders he's commited. Well, the ones he's actually ashamed of.

But BE does have one advantage - when you've got one heroic identity already, it's not that difficult to change your costume....

Zero is a powerful telepath. Determining BE's guilt would be straightforward enough, unless false memories and unneccesary guilt cloud things.