Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

This one is kind of cool:

http://www.salwarkameezindia.com/sal...kameez-400.jpg

When I tried to access this website, my computer gave me a great big

Forbidden

Would you describe this thing to me ?

Weird, when I clicked both links they worked, but the one in your post didn't.

I'm attaching pictures of the salwar-kamees and jabib.

This one is kind of cool:

http://www.salwarkameezindia.com/sal...kameez-400.jpg

When I tried to access this website, my computer gave me a great big

Forbidden

Would you describe this thing to me ?

Oh. It's basically a long, drapey, almost t-shirt-shaped top, often that comes to the knees or below. Under that, it has loose, drapey pants, and there are often slits on the sides to make it easier to move around.

Here's a good one that should work.

Hoo-ah! Nailed it in one! End Zone Dance!

And, not really herem clothes, but definately middle-eastern: there is the jibab/abaya.

Despite the constant jabs in the West at the clothes muslim women wear, I consider them both attractive and pleasantly modest:

http://www.hilalplaza.com/ProductIma...ABYCL20025.jpg

Yeah, that's also a really good one, and it looks like it would be warm. That's also important for women's clothing, since we get colder so much more easily.

No, no, no. Too much fabric to weigh you down. We're looking at soft and gauzy.

Though, if women were in charge of fashion, I suspect the kilt would be the default legwear for guys. :sneaky:

Kilts are a generic garment, BTW... modern usage has corrupted the term a LOT. Originally the word "kilt" was a verb... meaning "to fold into pleats"

Scottish kilted plaids are usually heavy, but they are designed for nasty weather conditions. I have a couple... a feileadh beag (Phiilabeg, or little plaid), for formal occasions, and several Breacan feileadh (Belted Plaid, or great kilt, also called a feileadh mor) for running around in the woods in. In addition, my usual clubwear is a black leather kilt (seen on my profile pic) and I NEVER wear shorts. I wear sarongs, mostly in brigh jewel tones with celtic patterns, that I wear kilted and belted rather than the more traditional ways they are worn by women. I get TONS of compliments on them and never suffer from overheated groin syndrome.

Throw off the tyranny of Pants!

When can we go back to the harem discussion?

Anytime you like. ^ v ^

Actually, I understand a harem situation isn't as demeaning as I'd heard as a young feminist-in-training. Thinking about it as a woman, you have this group of women you get to hang out with, shop with, etc, there isn't much competition because you're all already married to the guy, and the many, many duties of childrearing and housework are divvied up between however many women, rather than being on one woman's shoulders. Leaves a lot more time for individual pursuits, one would think.

Anytime you like. ^ v ^

Actually, I understand a harem situation isn't as demeaning as I'd heard as a young feminist-in-training. Thinking about it as a woman, you have this group of women you get to hang out with, shop with, etc, there isn't much competition because you're all already married to the guy, and the many, many duties of childrearing and housework are divvied up between however many women, rather than being on one woman's shoulders. Leaves a lot more time for individual pursuits, one would think.

Ever seen Big Love?

JG

No. Why?

It's this HBO show about a polygamist family, and while the women do indeed get to share the housework, they also have to prioritize their "private time" with the husband, which causes problems.

They also have to pretend that 2 of the 3 are single mothers, but that's because polygamy is illegal. (i.e. that issue wouldn't apply to a real harem.)

JG

Star loves to play with bottlecaps.

Don't all kittens?

Risu likes to play with bottle caps, toy mice, toy plush, milk tabs, bread ties, lint, balls of cat hair, pens, electric cords, hair, feet under the covers . . .

Which is cute and all, but it's like she's getting all this energy by draining ours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My boss just fell for the "Mars will be the closest it is to Earth . . . EVER!" hoax e-mail. I didn't want to be the one to tell him, and a co-worker spared me the conundrum.

But why the heck do these things make the rounds so easily? I'm always reading Snopes.com's updates, going, "People actually BELIEVE this stuff?" I've taken to looking up ANY declaration I've heard online to verify or refute it, even ones I'm more apt to believe.

Yeah. Mine e-mailed me a virus warning that snopes listed in 2000. I chose not to tell her.