Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

FIGMO = F**k It, Got My Orders

AKA Short Timers Disease.

Never seen it used in quite that context before, but I guess it tracks.

I've seen it with "Own" in place of "Orders" used in a civilian sense. It is, yes, another manifestation of short timer's disease, with an added connotation that the act of the FIGMO getting his means sometime not too far down the line no one else will get any more at all.

I've seen it with "Own" in place of "Orders" used in a civilian sense. It is' date=' yes, another manifestation of short timer's disease, with an added connotation that the act of the FIGMO getting his means sometime not too far down the line no one else will get any more at all.[/quote']

Hadn't heard the civilian variant.

Like I said, it tracks.

Someone who knows that they won't be around to deal with the fallout of their self centered actions.

Got a pissed-off email from a student who wondered if I lock the doors at the beginning of class.

No, sweetheart, the room you went to is the lab room. Labs happen in the afternoon. Lectures happen in the morning. In a different room, in a different building.

Love & Kisses,

Dr. Satan

LMAO!! Nice.

That reminds me of the time I showed up for my databases final and no one was there. I spent half an hour running around trying to find out what room they'd moved the final to before I finally realized I'd shown up an hour early. Haaaaaa. (slaps forehead)

That reminds me of the time I showed up for my databases final and no one was there. I spent half an hour running around trying to find out what room they'd moved the final to before I finally realized I'd shown up an hour early. Haaaaaa. (slaps forehead)

At least it wasn't an hour late... :)

Usually makes my decisions get set in concrete.

Way too many people are perfectly willing to oil the squeeky wheel. Which of course reinforces their belief that acting like a spoiled child will get them their way. :mad:

Me? I'm with you. The ruder they are the more I dig my heels in. I don't return the rudeness, but the ruder they are the less likely they will get their way. Heck, if they are rude enough I'll go out of my way to make their life harder, within reason and applicable laws/rules. :)

I've always wondered why people think getting pissed off is the best way to get your way.

I've often wondered why/how so many people can go through their days so angry all the time. In the last week or so, I've been given a special insight into this behavior.

As I've already mentioned on this thread, Qwest has been f***ing with me since I ordered their service. This behavior has filled me with a large amount of rage, but given the way their customer service system works, I have been unable to vent that rage in any useful way.

Yesterday, I was so mad at them I could've chewed a crowbar in half. But lacking a good outlet for that anger, I began taking it out on people who were not involved in the problem. I was of the opinion, "I've already been f***ed once today. I am not about to let anyone do that to me again, so you'd better just stay the f*** out of my way, motherf***er. Why should I give a f*** about your opinion? No one gives a f*** about mine."

I'm in a better place now, but I can see how easy it would be to fall into that pattern and become an angry, distrustful person.

Bill.

(And it's all Qwest's fault). :mad:

I feel the same way both of you do, but I've worked customer service far too long to have any faith that they won't be rewarded for throwing a temper tantrum. Won't take a return? Tantrum. Bing, manager shows up and makes us take the return. Can't take a gift certificate? Tantrum. Presto, manager shows up to issue them a new gift certificate.

Never mind that I've had much better luck killing resistant salespeople with kindness. I conjure up the sweetest smile I can, try to look pathetic, and say in the sweetest tone I know, "Isn't there ANYthing you can do for me?"

A Canadian friend who works at a phone bank tells me she was never screamed at until she started taking calls from the American side of her business.

Pretty much any multimedia company these days behaves that way, or similarly. Google "Comcast sucks" sometime to get some amusing stories (and some frightening ones). AT&T and its subsidiaries are giving worse service for higher prices, and cable prices are steadily rising. Even places that don't have monopolies are seeing cost rising while service suffers.

Your experience isn't unique, bunnyman. I wish it were. :(

Although Comcast has its problems, they've built an org way better than Qwest now, at least in the Portland area. Comcast serves 24x7, will visit you in a block of hours at your convenience (even Sundays, holidays, shifts such as midnight to 4 AM blocks), and although I also received a run-around with them on getting a tech out to do 2 simple things and they insisted it would be different visits, at least the tech who came out first did both things, anyway, as he proactively noted we had 2 work orders, which he mentioned was part of his job - so at least they have SOME progress in the field here. They've gotten way better. Comcast and Qwest compete as ISPs in this market, btw, which may make some of the difference.

But Qwest is terrible, terrible, terrible...

Well' date=' good. Far too many people settle for doing business with a bad company, and that bothers me. People SHOULD have principles, and stick by them![/quote']

Though it gets tiring - you can only change providers so many times. Sometimes you end up settling because it just isn't worth the effort to go to yet another failure at service.

As a treat Bunny Boy how about you' date=' me and Zornwil going on a rampage over their corporate headquarters ?[/quote']

Sorry to slip out of character, but if only we could! IF ONLY!!! Qwest would long ago have been wiped from the Earth.

Although Comcast has its problems, they've built an org way better than Qwest now, at least in the Portland area. Comcast serves 24x7, will visit you in a block of hours at your convenience (even Sundays, holidays, shifts such as midnight to 4 AM blocks), and although I also received a run-around with them on getting a tech out to do 2 simple things and they insisted it would be different visits, at least the tech who came out first did both things, anyway, as he proactively noted we had 2 work orders, which he mentioned was part of his job - so at least they have SOME progress in the field here. They've gotten way better. Comcast and Qwest compete as ISPs in this market, btw, which may make some of the difference.

But Qwest is terrible, terrible, terrible...

Comcast isn't perfect, either. They have the infamous technician-who-fell-asleep-on-a-customer's-couch, and they were employing a registered sex offender, who attacked a female customer. (Of course they dropped him right after that, but still . . .) They seem to have a history of employing not-so-great technicians.

Though it gets tiring - you can only change providers so many times. Sometimes you end up settling because it just isn't worth the effort to go to yet another failure at service.

Yeah, and it's worse when you're working with a monopoly. The choice becomes, none of that service, or sucking it up. Neither are particularly appealing choices.

I feel the same way both of you do, but I've worked customer service far too long to have any faith that they won't be rewarded for throwing a temper tantrum. Won't take a return? Tantrum. Bing, manager shows up and makes us take the return. Can't take a gift certificate? Tantrum. Presto, manager shows up to issue them a new gift certificate.

Never mind that I've had much better luck killing resistant salespeople with kindness. I conjure up the sweetest smile I can, try to look pathetic, and say in the sweetest tone I know, "Isn't there ANYthing you can do for me?"

A Canadian friend who works at a phone bank tells me she was never screamed at until she started taking calls from the American side of her business.

I believe that, although she obviously never had to work with Canadian customs. Apparently (even by many Canadians' own comments) they make up for the nations' politeness by diving deeper than Americans into rudeness and poor customer service.

But otherwise, yeah.

Comcast isn't perfect, either. They have the infamous technician-who-fell-asleep-on-a-customer's-couch, and they were employing a registered sex offender, who attacked a female customer. (Of course they dropped him right after that, but still . . .) They seem to have a history of employing not-so-great technicians.

Yeah, and it's worse when you're working with a monopoly. The choice becomes, none of that service, or sucking it up. Neither are particularly appealing choices.

Sure, as I said, Comcast has its problems. I was just reflecting at how much better they are now in the Portland area (I've heard it varies a lot by locality), and I think they deserve credit for that. They've even been surprisingly reliable, considering their history. Believe me, we hate Comcast for lots of other reasons still (price gouging, shifty deals, unreliable customer service), but less so in total than formerly.

Until we moved, we had been with an outfit called McLeod USA. I never had a problem with them, and I was sad that I had to leave them. I think they're one of the smaller companies, so they have to work harder to keep their customer base.

If they ever offer service to our new neighborhood, I'm switching back to them in a heartbeat.

Until we moved, we had been with an outfit called McLeod USA. I never had a problem with them, and I was sad that I had to leave them. I think they're one of the smaller companies, so they have to work harder to keep their customer base.

If they ever offer service to our new neighborhood, I'm switching back to them in a heartbeat.

We use McLeod at work. We also just got done with XO Communications at work...dunno why we switched, but we did. :P

Anywho. So far our DSL is great. But, this is the first day we've used it. So, we'll see.

I've often wondered why/how so many people can go through their days so angry all the time. In the last week or so' date=' I've been given a special insight into this behavior.[/quote']

Oh I have been there myself. And it's hard not to vent at small obstacles.

While I was at my mom's I had a problem with something (It got resolved, so I tossed it from my brain...). I wound up calling customer service and my first words were "I'm not pissed off at you, I'm pissed off at the people that are making you take my call."

She cheerfully ignored my tone and fixed my problem. (I think it was one of the plumbers I was dealing with...)