Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

So it seems I'm becoming a fetish artist.

Recently, my gallery has been getting a little bit more exposure, which is nice. I noticed, however, that some of my pictures that are getting marked as favorites are being saved by fetish collectors. My Velma and Wonder Woman pics specifically are getting saved by BBW lovers, while Velma also gets saved by nerd or glasses lovers. The funniest one occurred today, though. My picture of Monolith of the Elementals has been requested for the art group Homoerotica. :nonp:

Do you have links?

edit found them. YOu did see the picture/photo to what your picture was copied from didn't you? (if not follow the links) As Shaggy might say, wowza.

Shouldn't that be Arkham, Mass?

and ya dreaming if you thinking anyone is going to return it.

1. From "Through the Gates of the Silver Key": Carter lived in Boston, but it was from the wild, haunted hills behind hoary and witch-accursed Arkham that all his forebears had come.

Randolph Carter lived in Arkham until he was around ten years old and didn't lose the silver key until he was thirty, at which time he was in Boston.

[Oh God, I've become one of those "pedantic nerds" I've heard about. But I'm discussing literature, not comics or games so I can still live with myself.]

2. :rofl: Brilliant! [Edit: Must spread rep.]

Ah' date=' the intellectual masturbation theory.[/quote']

Yeah' date=' pretty much. Clever theoretical arguments that are shown to be obvious crap as soon as they are examined in the light of the real world. :)[/quote']

You see the Greek invented that too. :snicker:

I am not familiar with Zeno (probably the only one here). Could someone please summarize the whole Flash/tortoise thing for me that Zeno gave?

A math's look at Achilles & Tortoise paradox if anyone is interested.

Other scholarly articles on Zeno's Paradoxes

And this is just hilarious:

"What the Tortoise Said to Achilles", written by Lewis Carroll in 1895, is a brief dialogue which playfully problematises the foundations of logic. The title alludes to one of Zeno's paradoxes of motion, in which Achilles could never overtake the tortoise in a race. In Carroll's dialogue, the tortoise challenges Achilles to use the force of logic to make him accept the conclusion of a simple deductive argument. Ultimately, Achilles fails, because the clever tortoise leads him into an infinite regression.

(thinks about a speedster tortoise named Zeno, which explains why Achilles could never catch up, ergo the paradox is true.)

Or my Biological Father's dating advice!

His advice? No it didn't.

Your reading comprehension could use work.

If your biological fathers advice didn't work, how did you get here then? ;):P The stork brought you to your mum? :winkgrin:

Ah' date=' the intellectual masturbation theory.[/quote']

Yeah' date=' pretty much. Clever theoretical arguments that are shown to be obvious crap as soon as they are examined in the light of the real world. :)[/quote']

Kinda like Objectivism! :snicker:

Zeno forgot that time progresses at a definite rate' date=' not a rate relative to what you're accomplishing. Well, objective time, anyway.[/quote'] Objective? Time? bwahahahaha

Didn't you get the memo above...objectiv-ism is intellectual masturbation theory. :winkgrin:

"Within your mind lies the universe" (Wednesday, 7th July 2010, 12:20pm exactly)

"the further we look outward, the further we look inward." (Wednesday, 7th July 2010, 12:33pm exactly)

Note: I was driving home from work at the time. The first one was recorded just before I left, the later one when I got home.

One of my philosophy professors referred to Zeno as "the enigmatic Eleatic."

Apparently because so little is known of him.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary seems to remember a story in which Achilles catches the Tortoise, the Tortoise asks how, and Achilles proceeds to intellectually debunk and demolish the paradox.

In the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise' date=' Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 meters. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 meters, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 meters. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles reaches somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has farther to go. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of points Achilles must reach where the tortoise has already been, he can never overtake the tortoise.

Sounds like Zeno didn't understand some simple math called "closure rate". :rolleyes:

And yet, years ago, when I referred to "zeno's paradox" as sophmoric drunk fratboy nonsense for one could simply cross the room and touch the wall, I had a friend with a master's in engineering who works for microsoft and is, otherwise, a very bright guy, take umbrage and try to defend zeno's paradox as high falutin' thought. Of course, I'm not 100% certain he could have defined epistemology, but he was darned sure he knew it when he saw it!

Yep that is true' date=' and arguably true for most if not all of the Pre-Socratic philosophers.[/quote']

Almost certainly because they are deliberately described in a misleading way by the doxologists of the fourth century (and even more so by their Nineteenth Century successors), for political reasons.

See this book. It's by an Italian academic, which usually guarantees thinking big, sometimes questionably, sometimes brilliantly. I'd go with the latter on this one.

Polyamory is one of the more annoying religious beliefs' date=' right up there with Veganism and Anarchism. No surprise how often they go together, or how often all three involve herbal refreshment.[/quote']

I am polyamorous, and I can assure you it has nothing to do with religion, nor herbal refreshment.

Are you, perhaps, discussing the religious fervor with which some practitioners of polyamoury, veganism and/or anarchy discuss their practices? Or how "The world would be a much better place if everyone did things in "this" way that is clearly superior and more evolved?" If that's the case, well, all I can say is that every group has its share of radicals who think that "My Cause!" is the answer to all of life's ails, and never tire of telling you why. Luckily, none of my friends in the poly community are like that.

Although we have had discussions how things in Riverdale would be so much easier on everyone if only Archie, Betty and Veronica were polyamorous... ;-)