Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

If humans become truly "evil" without electricity/civilization' date=' what is there to ultimately live for, if we can't be "good", on average, without significant cultural/social intervention?[/quote']

Not quite sure what you are talking about, but humans were civilized long before we had harnessed electricity. And I'm pretty sure that if you have people able to interact with each other, a civilization will develop fairly quickly.

Not quite sure what you are talking about' date=' but humans were civilized long before we had harnessed electricity. And I'm pretty sure that if you have people able to interact with each other, a civilization will develop fairly quickly.[/quote']

...Obviously, the Internet is still in the Bronze/Copper age. Many warring factions; frequent raiding and wars; no real stable settlements; peace is fragmented.

Teller, from the souvenir program of the Penn & Teller stage show in Las Vegas:

Last night, after my solitary practice session, as I was about to take the David P. Abbott Ball to the Magic Room, I looked around at the dark, beautiful, empty stage and was hit by a thought:

There will be a last time that I do this. A last time that I see the things I love backstage. A night I will leave the theater and never return.

I felt the bottom drop out of my stomach.

Then I quickly said aloud, "But not yet. Not yet."

And I felt a warm rush of joy.

Try that yourself sometime:

Take something (or someone) you love, and- in your imagination- say goodbye forever right now. Grieve for a moment.

Then feel the explosion of happiness that comes when you remind yourself that you don't have to say goodbye.

At least, not yet.

---

I've had to to that quite a bit in recent years. I've been right on the "not yet" part many times, but wrong a few times as well.

Why don't we celebrate the New Year with fireworks like other countries do? Having come from another country where fireworks are used' date=' I've always found the ball drop and its variants very anticlimactic.[/quote']

Because fireworks aren't safe and all the little kiddies...I mean, citizens...Must be kept perfectly safe in bubble-wrap.

Fireworks were outlawed for a while in the Philippines when I was a kid, which made New Year's Eve much duller. Last time I went there in 2008, people started throwing firecrackers before Christmas. On New Year's Eve, it sounded like an intense firefight. When we were driving home, the air was so full of smoke, it was like driving in thick fog.

Fireworks were outlawed for a while in the Philippines when I was a kid' date=' which made New Year's Eve much duller. Last time I went there in 2008, people started throwing firecrackers before Christmas. On New Year's Eve, it sounded like an intense firefight. When we were driving home, the air was so full of smoke, it was like driving in thick fog.[/quote']

I love the smell of a haze of powder smoke. One of my favorite smells, ever

Fireworks were outlawed for a while in the Philippines when I was a kid' date=' which made New Year's Eve much duller. Last time I went there in 2008, people started throwing firecrackers before Christmas. On New Year's Eve, it sounded like an intense firefight. When we were driving home, the air was so full of smoke, it was like driving in thick fog.[/quote']

That is exactly what is happening in my neighborhood as I type this. I'm shocked that the boys are still asleep.

edit: Heh, I just looked out the window and I can barely make out the guys across the street.