Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

The main thing is the Real Cost of spells is divided by 3 AFTER all other modifiers. Makes it a lot easier to be a spellcaster.

JG

That's it? No frameworks, required limitations like Gestures, Incantations, and Expendable Foci (Material Components)? Just a (IMO) house rule waiving away 2/3 of the final cost?

That's it? No frameworks' date=' required limitations like Gestures, Incantations, and Expendable Foci (Material Components)? Just a (IMO) house rule waiving away 2/3 of the final cost?[/quote']

It's basically a house rule, and the spells usually Require a Skill Roll and you have to buy each school of magic (Alchemy, Wizardry, Elemental [Fire], etc) as a separate Skill Roll. I think the other stuff is usually required or is at least useful to reduce the cost further before the 1/3 ratio. But basically if you have a low-level Detection spell and all those other things like Gestures, Incantations and so forth would reduce the Real Cost to 4 or less, the ratio means it goes down to a final cost of 1.

JG

That's it? No frameworks' date=' required limitations like Gestures, Incantations, and Expendable Foci (Material Components)? Just a (IMO) house rule waiving away 2/3 of the final cost?[/quote']

It's not the most elegant system, but it's better than some.

Does anybody have a system where the Wizard knows X spells but can only cast Y per day, and Y < X? It doesn't have to be a close simulation of Dee-n-Dee (3.x), but I won't mind if it is. I'm not looking for individual spell writeups, just the rules for the Wizard's Framework(s) for something like a "Study to 'memorize', then later 'cast' them" system.

Does anybody have a system where the Wizard knows X spells but can only cast Y per day' date=' and Y < X? It doesn't have to be a close simulation of Dee-n-Dee (3.x), but I won't mind if it is. I'm not looking for individual spell writeups, just the rules for the Wizard's Framework(s) for something like a "Study to 'memorize', then later 'cast' them" system.[/quote']

A Power Framework with Charges on the pool ought to suffice.

:slap: you are a hero gamer' date=' and you are knocking research? :no:[/quote']

Lately, my available time has been Slim & None, and Slim left town in the night. I was looking to fast-track the process to the point where I start to tinker/modify/(build) a system for my own use.

A Power Framework with Charges on the pool ought to suffice.

True. I am hopeful I can without too much difficulty build a simulation of the Dee-n-Dee magic system. My theory is that I can lure in new players with something very like what they are (likely) familiar with -- then show them the full possibilities that open up with a system like Hero System.

Does anybody have a system where the Wizard knows X spells but can only cast Y per day' date=' and Y < X? It doesn't have to be a close simulation of Dee-n-Dee (3.x), but I won't mind if it is. I'm not looking for individual spell writeups, just the rules for the Wizard's Framework(s) for something like a "Study to 'memorize', then later 'cast' them" system.[/quote']

That's kinda what "Delayed Effect" is for.

JG

I'm guessing that another reason Lincoln is one of the most respected Presidents, he had intelligence...

...unlike Bush (take your pick which one).

IMO, that's unfair to Bush Sr. I don't like him much, but even with loads of friends in the right places stupid people rarely make head of the CIA